Disney or what else ? ?

Started by Javey74, May 04, 2008, 08:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Javey74

I had a thought about the name Disney.  Think of this.......  :-k

What if Walt Disney had not been born as 'Disney', but something like 'Buttersmith'.  :roll:

Now you cannot tell me it has a nice ring to it, saying that nor did Disney back then.  But for some reason Disney to me, just sounds right, and is in every way animation to the core, which has been acclaimed over decades, so much so that you would be hard pushed to find someone who hasn't heard of Disney, who he was and what he achieved.

So if he had been born say...Buttersmith, do you think he may have changed his name by deed poll to something different, and if so what sort of names do you think would have fitted the bill  :?:

After all when Walt first started, his working collegue, Ub Iwerks was put into the company name, as in Disney and Iwerks.  Walt once remarked that it sounded like an opticians or a lense making company, not a company for animation.. :lol:  

What are your views on the name Disney... :)

-breeno-

Personally i think if Walt surname was something eles he probadly would have done the same as he did with Disney.

I think if you hear a company name over and over like Disney you get used to it and you start to feel like it's the only decent name for it.  In my opinion if Marks and Spencer's name were something like Smith and Davis, it wouldn't have the same ring as Marks and Spencers.  Probadly because we've heard Marks and Spencers so many times we've got used to it.

Although if he was Walt Buttersmith i can't see him calling the company Buttersmith.  He probadly would of used a name better, Buttersmithland doesn't sound that good does it? :?
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

MinniesBestPal

*cough* SPAM! *cough*

burntsienna

I think he would have probably kept his name depending on how common it was.
I still think that the Disney empire would still have been a huge success even if his name wasn't Walt Disney. As he built it with his 9 men and became a success through all the hard work etc.
Though I couldn't imagine him having a different last name at all...but thats just because I've grown up with him being Disney  :mrgreen:
"I could be the Alice to your Wonderland"

Pete's Dragon

just doesn't look right. But then again Ian Fleming chose the name James Bond because he thought it sounded really ordinary and somewhat boring, and look how cool that became ............."Bond, James Bond"

burntsienna

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"

just doesn't look right. But then again Ian Fleming chose the name James Bond because he thought it sounded really ordinary and somewhat boring, and look how cool that became ............."Bond, James Bond"

Hahaha! That looks soooo cool though!
Please someone else has got to see how Buttersmith does look quite cool and funny lol  :mrgreen:

Javey74

Quote from: "burntsienna"
Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"

Hahaha! That looks soooo cool though!
Please someone else has got to see how Buttersmith does look quite cool and funny lol  :mrgreen:
Actually it doesn't look too bad, I'm quite suprised...Still Disney is a lot better.. :D

burntsienna

Quote from: "Javey74"Actually it doesn't look too bad, I'm quite suprised...Still Disney is a lot better.. :D

Disney is far better, theres no competition there...but poor Buttersmith! got to give the name some credit  :lol:  :mrgreen:

Pete's Dragon

Just thinking. What would DLRP have been originally called.....

.......EuroButter ?

Come churn out some magic. Spread the happiness

:wink:

burntsienna

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Just thinking. What would DLRP have been originally called.....

.......EuroButter ?

Hahahaha! thats so good!
Think they should change it  :lol:

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Just thinking. What would DLRP have been originally called.....

.......EuroButter ?

Who wouldn't want to go somewhere with a slogan like that? :lol:

Javey74

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"

.......EuroButter ?

Who wouldn't want to go somewhere with a slogan like that? :lol:
Well PD, that really had me laughing out loud..  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :mrgreen:

I totally agree BB.. :roll: