Disneyland Resort: 10 - 20 April 2008

Started by Kristof, April 28, 2008, 11:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Javey74

I'm really getting into reading your trip reports Raptor, it's as though I'm sitting on your shoulder as you have fun, seeing everything you see, you're very descriptive.  I've never been to any other Disneyland other than DLRP and I think that's partly what I love about your report, reading what I'm missing.  8)

I noticed in your report for the Past 50 Years Exhibition, who better for the two hosts Donald and Steve Martin.  I would love to see one of those in DLRP, obviously for the 15 years, that would give us all some nostalgia to remember.  :D

Love the scaled model, I'm well into those sort of things.  :wink:

I await the rest of your report with excitement  :mrgreen:

Kristof

13 April 2008

Today, we got up early again, but htis time for a visit to a non-Disney park: Universal Studios Hollywood.  We had previously visited Universal Orlando twice, so we knew what we kinda could expect.  How wrong were we.

When we arrived at Universal, we had to park in a parking structure and we walked through City Walk, their version of Downtown Disney.  The design and feel was similar to the one in Orlando and looks better in our opinion then Disney Village / Downtown Disney.  It feels more enclosed, more colourful and somewhat more fun to explore.  

At the entrance of the park, near the famous Universal Globe, we bought our entrance tickets.  The price was about the same as in Universal, but we got a $8 discount, thanks to a flyer we got in Hollywood 2 days before.  
A real red carpet is located in front of the park's main gate, a really nice touch which we appreciated.  Entering the park we passed by a small plaza with a fountain and statues of a movie crew.  

When then started to explore the streets of interconnecting streetsets representing well known towns.  It was like wondering around in Alice's Curious Labyrinth, it's quite hard to find your way around on your first visit.  

We decided to go from Upper Lot (located on top of a hill) to Lower Lot, located on the hill's foot.  The only way to go there is by using several escalators.  Several platforms are located between each escalator and offer a great view on the actual studios' backlot and over Burbank.  

On Lower lot there were 4 attractions located: Jurassic Park: The Ride, Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride, Special Effects Stages and Backdraft.  

Our first choice was... Jurassic Park, of course.  It's the only reason why I wanted to visit the actual park, since I'm a huge JP fan.  

The entrance of the attraction is a recreation of the famous gate from the movie.  

The attraction is a cross over between the Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain.  Your boat takes you on a tour through Jurassic Park but gets knocked of by a dinosaur (a Parasaurolophus).  You then enter the quarantined area, infested by all the carnivores from the movie.  When a huge Tyrannosaurus Rex lashes out to the boat, you make a splash down and exit Jurassic Park safely...  

A similar attraction is located at Islands of Adventure in Florida, but is located there in an area entirely themed to the movie with several related attractions.  
The version in Hollywood was on the edge of ridiculous.  A lot of effects were not working, broken dinosaurs were covered with scarfs and pieces of fabric.  

(Here's a video of the attraction which I uploaded to my Jurassic Park account on YouTube.)

[youtube:1zepwsds]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGLnJ17_CKY[/youtube:1zepwsds]

We exited the attraction (dry) and moved over to Backdraft, a special effects show similar to Armageddon - Les Effets Speciaux.  A pre-show was shown first which basically recapped the movie and featured a few of the main actors.  It was a bit too long and boring.  We were then moved to a "real working set" for the movie were they showed some fire effects.  Nothing spectacular and not worth travelling down the escalators for.  

An employee pointed us the Special Effects Stages show out, but we declined and went on Revenge of The Mummy.  We were getting more and more disappointed.  Nearly all the great effects from the original one in Florida were cut!  

We decided to have lunch next at Panda Express, a Chinese restaurant.  No vegetarian food here (nowhere by the way on Lower Lot) so I just let our friends eat.  

Before moving back to Upper Lot, we rode Jurassic Park one more time and bought a few souvenirs in the Jurassic Outfitters shop.  They have a service similar to Disney's Shopping Service which offers free delivery of your merchandise at the entrance of the park.  

Next was the highly anticipated "World Famous" Studio Tour.  Which is basically Studio Tram Tour but with real (and fake) sets.  

We had to take an escalator down again but got a nice view in the mean time of their real Backlot, used in hundreds of movies.

After boarding our tram, we first drove by the Streetsets.  Our tourguide explained in his webcam how they were recently used in Bruce Almighty, Transformers and many more.  

Our first "fake" set was the well known one from King Kong.

Next we stopped at a "set" for The Fast and the Furious but it ended with two cars dancing on a robotic arm.  Boring, really.

Highlight for me was going through the props boneyard from the Jurassic Park movies were all kinds of props and vehicles were stored.  

Next stop was at a Mexican village were we got a special weather report in our tram warning us for floods on the Mexico set in Universal Studios... (I know...)

We then drove by the Western sets.  The guide explained how they have 6 Western streets connected with each other, each with a saloon, jail and church.  

After following John Wayne's footsteps, we crossed a pond that split open for our tram to drive through.  An actual miniature set from the recent King Kong movie was located on the left.

Ancient Rome, Little Europe and the Earthquake fake set were next.  The latter one is a bit similar to Catastrophe Canyon, but located in a metro station.

Our tour guide then took us through Amity Island, the small town from Jaws.  After some bad interaction with the (animatronic) diver, Jaws jumped out of the water and chased our tram.  But we got out safely and well.  

The tram continued to wind through the Universal Backlot and arrived at the entrance for the well known Wisteria Lane set.  However, crews were preparing the set for a new season of Desperate Housewives, so we couldn't drive through it.  We did see some buildings on the outside of the set.  One of those was used in Murder she Wrote with Angela Lansbury.  

A bit further away was the one and only Bates Hotel and Manor located.  Unfortunately, they were surrounded by an ugly Dr. Seuss set.  

A recent set from War of the Worlds was next.  No interaction here, besides smoke.

The tour ended with a drive through "The Tomb from Imhotep", which was basically just a turning pipe we drove through.  We didn't get it...

After the tour we rushed to the Waterworld stunt show.  It started with some of the stunt men throwing buckets filled with water over the audience...  The show recaps the story of the movie.

After the show we went looking for some shade in the House of Horrors, which turned out to be one of the better attractions.  You start off with a small exhibition of real props from Universal horror movies (an original Chucky doll was among them) and then continued in a walkthrough with several scary scenes and live actors.  

Our final attraction was Terminator 2: 3D.  The concept was very similar to Cinémagique and HISTA combined together.  

After picking up the stuff we bought we headed of to LA in search for the La Brea tarpits.   We drove by the Hollywood Tower, the building that served as the inspiration for Tower of Terror in Florida and I managed to get a good shot through the window will driving...  :D

Arriving at La Brea, we wondered around the nice park that surrounds the several tar pits.  The largest pit is the one with the mammoth statues and has been featured in several movies and television series.

Our friends dropped us off at our hotel again where we left our stuff, including my camera's (so no more pictures for the rest of today), and headed to Disney's California Adventure where we rode the Maliboomer, our first drop tower ever (ToT is not really a drop tower, is it?).  We thought it was pretty tame and rode it a few times during the rest of our stay since it never had a queue line.

DCA was about to close so we decided to hop to Disneyland Park, which was open until midnight!  Pirates of the Caribbean had no waiting time and was our first attraction here today.  The queue line is a bit weird, but not in a negative way.  It goes by the outdoor seating area of a restaurant and there are animatronics in the queue line.  No dungeon like in Florida and Paris.  The ride itself was great and much much better than in Florida.  I like the movie tie-ins, but I would have enjoyed the ride without as well.
When we exited POTC, we saw that Fantasmic had begun so rushed to the viewing area and found a nice spot behind the crowds.  We missed the first part, but saw the rest starting with the Jungle Book.  We saw the full show a few days later, so I'll write a review later.
After the show we had the "pleasure" to encounter the CM cow/crowd handlers who pushed everyone out of the area.

Our next destination was Fantasyland, which was nearly abandoned.  We rode Snow White's Scary Adventures and Pinocchio's Daring Adventures, both which are nearly identical to the ones in Paris, including their façades.
After those, we jumped on board of Casey Jr, but since we were located on the first row, we got all the exhaust fumes in our face (and lungs).  Yes, Casey is powered by a Diesel engine and actually has a driver on board... While in Paris this ride is a kiddy-coaster, here it's a slow moving train ride among the Storybookland scenes.

Time had gone by fast by now as it was already 11.30pm.  We rushed to the Matterhorn, which has long queues throughout the day, but found it nearly empty!  A great opportunity to discover a Classic Disney ride.  

We had to board our own bobsled which can hold 4 persons: 2 with 2 in their lap.  We decided to have our own seat, but regretted this right after the ride started.  Forget Space Mountain Mission 2, you really get thrown from one side to the other in this one.  Although it's a great ride with nice theming (and it's a classic!!!), I do not recommend riding it on your own without someone in your lap. (New trains are on their way, but in the mean time I suggest you follow my advice... :wink:  )

Park was about to close so we ran to the Submarine voyage, another very popular attraction with very very very long waiting times, but again, almost no one queueing here!

Now this was a great attraction!  The underwater view on a great themed underwater world and the high quality Finding Nemo projections really make this a wonderful experience.  

When we exited the ride, the park was already closed, so we wondered back to our hotel for a well deserved sleep...

To be continued....

Soap

Again a great read and pictures Kristoff!! As if being there myself when reading it, thanks for sharing your adventures!!  :wink:
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Javey74

Yeah, thanks for sharing your experiences again.  Really detailed as ever... :D

Looking forward as ever to the continuation.. :D/  :D/

davewasbaloo

Wow, I am so surprised with your USH experience. Last time we were there (2002) we thought it much better than USO.  I love Backdraft (and Armageddon), and I think the tram tour is awesome.  As well as the shows and films.  Different strokes.

As for DL, I do find it hard to say whether I prefer PotC in DL or DLP. I think I love them both equally and differently. Also, I love the Matterhorn, my first coaster ever (and my 2 year old daughter's 1st too).  Did you ride on the left or right side?  The left is faster and bumpier.

As for Finding Nemo, it is ok, but I do miss the old sub journey. I prefer my sub rides without toons. But it is still great fun, and going at park closure is the best way to do it.
since 2001 (many before that)

Kristof

14 April 2008

Our trip continues with an early visit to Disney's California Adventure.  We got in the park around 10am, through the Grand Californian entrance, which is only open for Disney Hotel guests.  

Arriving in the park, we noticed that all attractions were still closed and Cast Members informed that all rides would open at 10.30 am (what's the point in announcing park opening at 10 am??)

Anyway, it gave us some time to walk to Paradise Pier were we queued for California Screamin'.  It turned out to be a very nice coaster, a typical Disney-one, nicely balanced between thrill and experience.  Only thing we did not like was the level of theming.  There was none.  The coaster is surrounded by dunes and typical dune plants, but that was the only themed aspect of it.  Why didn't the Imagineers put in sand castles or other typical beach things?  Something with a wink to the beach or whatever...

Our next stop was at Hollywood Pictures Backlot were we would ride Tower of Terror for the first time (at least here in California).  We took our time to look around the area surrounding the Tower a bit.  Well, there's really not much to see.  A dead end road leads from the Hyperion Theatre to the Tower and is fenced off at the end.  A nice drawing of the Hollywood Tower Hotel in its heydays are the only real theming here.  On one side of the road is the Fast Pass distribution located, themed as in Paris as a busstop, and on the other side the actual building.  There were a lot of palmtrees surrounding it, giving it more of a Hollywood feeling compared to Paris, but as we all known, trees like these would die in the Marne-la-Vallee weather.  

In the external queue line (which we never saw being used) there was nice wooden roof, providing shade under the hot Californian sun.  This was the only real advantage their version has.  

We walked in nearly empty lobby and waited in front of our elevator (the one on the right) and saw some differences with the Paris Tower, but this was mostly esthetic and construction-wise, like a door at a different place, different furniture, etc.

In the library room we noticed a big difference: there were hardly props on the bookshelves!  And we noticed another difference in the boilerroom: no spiderwebs!!!!  With the exception of two which I noticed on a later visit, but I think these were real...

The experience is of course the same, even the Cast Member spiel is similar.  However, the view is NOT!  It's just ugly (same in Florida by the way) compared to our beautiful view over WDS, Disneyland Hotel and DLP.

We exited the attraction and noticed again something different.  No gardens!  Our Tower is surrounded by green planters and old statues, but these were not part of the original Tower here (only in the queue line).

We walked back to the Hollywood Studios area for a ride on Monsters Inc. Mike and Sulley to the Rescue!  

As you enter the colourful (but still boring and flat) façade you enter somekind of a terminal.  I'm still not sure what it's supposed to be, but there are television screens and phones...

The ride starts in a cab with a build in screen that starts off with special newsreport about a child on the loose in Monstropolis.  You the move forward through the town and buildings following Mike, Sulley and Boo.  Randall, the sneaky lizard, is watching us from every corner but gets beaten (yes beaten) by boo at the end of the ride.  
The personalized Roz at the end is great, while I was taping the onride video she said: "Cheeese, be sure you get my good side... Heeey, you left your lenscap on..."  :lol:

We liked the ride a lot, but were surprised how sloooooooow it goes.  Not something you'd expect from a cab ride.  

[dailymotion:40ubxov4]x58hmm[/dailymotion:40ubxov4]

After a phone call with our friends we decided to meet up on Sunshine Plaza and while waiting for them, High School Musical 2 was about to start so watched it.  

Our friends had arrived by then and they pointed us out how old some of the Cast Members in the show are.  Some of them rather looked like a highschool teacher than a student... (pictures on a different day!)

At the Farmers Market we had a quick lunch (mozzarella sticks with hot sauce  =P~ ) before we went to explore A Bug's Land.  

The area is themed okay with lots of nice plants and flowers growing all over the place (although it's not such a fun place if you have hay fever...)

Over at Flik's Fun Fair (another sub-land) we rode Flik's Flyers, Heimlich's Chew Chew Train and Tuck and Roll's Drive'Em Buggies.  The last two went so slow that we hardly noticed we were going forward.

It was time to hop over to Disneyland Park, because we had a reservation at the Blue Bayou (their Blue Lagoon) at 3.40 am.  

We still had some time left so we got a bunch of pictures in several lands. (Enjoy them below)

After filling up my camera with pictures, we quickly boarded a raft to Tom Sawyer Island where the Pirates' Lair was recently installed.  

We liked what we saw on the island, although we had expected a lot more pirates stuff.  One of the coolest effects was when you tried to grab a treasure, it disappeared before your eyes.  These props and effects would be PERFECT for our Adventure Isle caves.

After exploring the island, we boarded the next available raft and headed over to the Blue Bayou.  

I liked my meal (the portobello mushrooms), but Flor did not like the potatoes he got with his steak.  However, I was not too pleased with the service here.  The price of the food was pretty expensive, so I expected a higher standard of service compared to the other (table) service restaurant, but it was not.  I was really bothered by this one thing... I had used my knife to eat my starter, a salad.  When the Cast Member came to clean up, she took my used knife and placed it back on the table.  I was nearly insulted (with a wink though, don't worry) as the most polite thing to do is to bring clean cutlery for a new course, but no... they did not.  My American friends explained that this was not very custom to do in the States, so I just excepted their explanation... lol.   The dessert, a large cookie with ice cream and shaped as a ship was delicious.  However, don't eat the sail, it's disgusting!  Just keep it as a souvenir :lol:  Overall we, including our friends, thought it was a bit overpriced, especially for what you get in return.  We didn't even see the bateauxs from POTC...

Sadly, it was now time to say goodbye to our friends who returned back to Florida.  We walked them back to our hotel where their rental car was parked and waived them an European au-revoir and headed back to the hotel where a surprise would wait for us... And not a pleasant one!  

After using the restroom (I blame to generous free refill's at Blue Bayou) it flooded over!  (don't worry, it was clean water...)  The water didn't stop running so we had to call in maintenance to come over and fix it.  A lovely Hispanic Cast Member showed up with a bunch of towels (!) and used them to soak up the water.  She asked if we were staying in the room, but we assured her that we were just about to return to the parks.

We had to return to Disneyland, because DCA was already closed, so we just wondered around a bit in Fantasyland and decided to pay Storybookland a visit.  In the boat a woman started talking to Flor about Disneyland Paris because she saw his DLRP pin lanyard.  
In this version of Storybookland there's a Cast Member driving the boat and he or she comments on the different miniature scenes.  
The attraction is definitely longer than the one in Paris and features larger sets from other movies (Pinocchio, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, ...)

We strolled around a bit more through the park without doing other attractions (it was busy) and then went back to the hotel where we found a clean and dry restroom.

To be continued...

Javey74

Another wonderful section of the report as ever, brilliant photos.  I eagerly await the next continuation  :D/

DisneyNut2007

Quote from: "raptor1982"Next attraction was The Enchanted Tiki Room.  We were surprised how much fun it was.  It seemed shorter than in Walt Disney World, but that was probably because we weren't getting annoyed by Iago's terrible voice...

Sorry, but I don't think Iago's voice is terrible at all.

I think it's rather funny.

Nala_84

Aw, so many great pictures :)!

First I didn't look into this topic because I always thought: "DL California Adventure surely isn't as exciting as WDW"... but the pictures you've taken speak an other language ;)!

I love the photo of this skull cage of POTC 2 :)! It's cool that they have a Tarzan themed tree house, and I like the A Bug's Life themed area - really cool!
The night shot of the parks is amazing...  :shock:

Do you also have any more pics of the characters? Love the Mickey Sorcerer's one though :)!
[size=85]1992 - Disneyland Paris - 1-day-trip
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe
2004 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Cheyenne
2005 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Santa Fe
2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Newport BayClub
2008 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Sequoia Lodge
2009 - Walt Disney World
[/size]

-breeno-

I've just read through you trip report Kristof and i love it :D  I didn't have time to read it when you first posted it.

I've never been to Disneyland Resort myself but from your report it looks great, and the Jurassic Park ride in Universal looks great :D

Thanks for the great trip report so far Kristof, your doing a great job  =D>
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

peep

Wow, awesome trip report Kristof! I'm really enjoying it, its rare to get a good TR of California so this makes for an interesting read (very tempted to save up and go there myself).

Can't wait to read about the rest of your holiday.

EDIT: I forgot to ask before, on the Universal tour (which was featured for about 5 mins in CSI last night :P ) do they still have the Munsters house? Or was that taken down ages ago or on another lot somewhere else.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Nala_84"Aw, so many great pictures :)!

First I didn't look into this topic because I always thought: "DL California Adventure surely isn't as exciting as WDW"... but the pictures you've taken speak an other language ;)!

I

Nala, to me Disneyland Resort is the best of the Disney resorts where English is spoken. Better than DLP and WDW IMHO.  WDW has some very interesting experiences, with EPCOT and DAK being amazing. But if DLP is why you fell in love with the parks, then DL is the better American resort to go to. Bigger does not always mean better.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "peep"Wow, awesome trip report Kristof! I'm really enjoying it, its rare to get a good TR of California so this makes for an interesting read (very tempted to save up and go there myself).

Can't read about the rest of your holiday.

Here is my trip report to DL including some pictures if you follow more links.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4270&p=57167

Kristof

15 April 2008

First park today was once again Disney's California Adventure.  We noticed how often we go back there.  Maybe it's because it's less crowded?  Or because there are more open spaces or more thrill rides?  We're not sure yet...

We headed off to the Paradise Pier area where we still had to do a few rides.  And the first one was... Jumpin' Jellyfish!!  Yep, the ride is as silly as its name.  You're seated under a big parachute resemblin a jellyfish and then goes slowly up and down.  The Cast Member who did the loading of the ride offered to take our pictures which I posted below.

Next was another "marvelous" attraction at Paradise Pier: The Mulholland Madness.  Now this is one big Imagineering mess.  It has even less "theming" than Primeavel Whirl at Animal Kingdom.  

The Sun Wheel was now next.  We started queueing for the swinging gondola's, which follow a rail when the wheel is turning.  But we were waiting for over half an hour already without really moving forward (loading/unloading goes very slow), so we decided to quickly leave the line and went to the other queue line for the steady gondola's.  And got on board of those after a couple of minutes waiting.  The view from above is really nice (at least if you watch in the direction of Disneyland).  We noticed how badly the swinging gondola's move, so we were glad we took the right decision.

After the wheel we got a bit hungry, so we walked in the direction of the farmer's market but stopped first at the Mission Tortilla Factory.  We first had to enter a very very very small lobby were a short introduction on an lcd tv was playing about the history of the tortilla.  We were then moved into a larger room where small interactive diorama's explained even more history about the tortilla (there's a lot to talk about you know) after which we were welcomed in the actual factory, well at least the part that looked nice.  A Cast Member offered us each 2 warm tortilla's, which tasted actually pretty good!  

We were still hungry so we went to the neighbouring Boudin' Bakkery.  The cast member at the entrace offered a small piece of sour bread, which was nice as well. Here we got to see inside the bakery as well which was guided by overhead screens with Rosie O'Donnell and Colin Mochrie (we recognized him from Who's line is it anyway?)  The level of humour was about the same as our old Television Tour (it was as boring as that one too...)

Obviously, 2 tortilla's and a small piece of bread was not enough for our appetite, so we went looking for more food.  Since the Food and Wine Festival was going on during our stay, we felt we had to eat at least something special, and so we did.  For just a few dollars we got 2 appetizers (I had the risotto with mushrooms and Flor got the Californian kebabs) and a glass of wine.  The food and wine (both Californian specialities) were really nice.

Walking back, we stopped at a performance of High School Musical 2 for a few pictuers

After that we went (once again) to Hollywood Pictures Backlot for our first visit to Disney Animation.  A Snow White meet 'n' greet was located outside the building and in the main lobby was an exhibition about the Fairiest one of All, in honour of the movie's 70th birthday.  

The attraction here in California is completely different then the one we have at Walt Disney Studios Park.  In the main lobby there are seperate entrances to the different rooms, which were Turtle Talk with Crush, Animation Academy and The Sorcerer's Workshop.  We went in that last one first.  There are 3 more rooms in here: Yen Sid's palace, the Beast's library and Ursulla's grotto.  Each had their own interactive workshops about animation (the same ones we have in our AODA post show).  The theming in all three rooms was very immersive.

After we escaped Ursulla's tentacles in her grotto (too much fantasy, I know) we went to another sea creature... Crush!  Not a coaster here, but a live interaction with the animated figure, similar to Stitch Live! The show totally rocked... ! (Any Turtle Talkers here?)

After walking back passed the golden elephants over Sunshine Plaza, we headed in the direction of Condor Flats to one of our favourite Epcot attractions... Soarin' over California!  We were smart enough to get a Fast Pass earlier during the day, because there were always long lines here.  
The ride was beautiful as always and truly a wonderful experience thanks to the Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack and the incredible Californian sights (if you don't count in Michael Eisner...)

We got hungry once again (didn't have a lot for lunch) so we started looking for a table service restaurant.  The Golden Winery caught our eye, so we went to search for a vegetarian meal here.  A friendly Cast Member greeted us and pointed all the vegi-suggestions out.  We chatted a bit with her about Disneyland Paris and Belgium and then got a nice table on the outdoor terrace.  We started with a salad each and then ordered the Alfredo lasagna for Flor and a tomato/mozarella sandwich for me.  The meal was concluded with a very delicious tiramisou (Yep, you got it right, this is an Italian-style restaurant).  We promised to each other to come back here again.  

When we walked away from the restaurant, we heared the announcement spiel for the Pixar Play Parade, so we looked for a nice spot near the Golden Dreams theatre.  The announcer warned that we could get "splashed" a "bit" with water, and boy he was right.  If you have expensive camera material, don't try to use it when watching this parade, the performers DO NOT care about this.  At one moment, a performer looked me right in the eyes, then looked at my camera and splashed me and my equipment with water.  I was not amused...  

The parade itself was very colourful and the designed reminded me a bit to Kids Carnival.  I was a bit bothered by the fact it lacked the fab 5 (Mickey & co. ), maybe they should have based it more on the Tokyo Disneyland parades.  

Enjoy a bunch of pictures I had to take at my own risk...

We then walked to Disneyland Park and looked for a spot for another parade: Parade of Dreams.  The parade route was pretty much occupied so we tried a trick we learned at DLRP: go look at it's a small world, where the parade starts.  And yes, it works here as well!  Before we sat down, a woman came running to Flor, it turned out to be the same person from the evening before in Storybookland.  Her family had won a stay in the Dream Suite, which also gave them a spot in the pre-parade.  The family was placed in an oldtimer and was accompagnied by a few dancers and Disney characters.  

After the Family of Honour, a never-ending spiel announced the start of Parade of Dreams.  The parade gates opened on "Welcome to our Family" from Brother Bear and introduced the beloved fairies from the classic Disney animated movies.  They were followed by the Disneyland Station with Peter Pan and Tinker Bell.  We noticed how small it was!  

Beauty and the Beast and Pinocchio were next.

After those came The Little Mermaid and the big Ursulla.

The Alice in Wonderland was the only float we really liked.  Alice and the Mad Hatter both had microphones so they could interact with the guests.

When the Lion King float came closer, we couldn't stop laughing.  The Simba puppet looked just terrible (unlike Nala).  

The parade was closed by the Princesses unit.

We were a bit troubled when the last float drove by, maybe we had too high expactions, but we did not like the parade...  Most floats are really small and the music (similar to our Once upon a Dream parade) is a mish-mash of different soundtracks.  We definately appreciate DOUAD a lot more now, but we could see that POD was the inspiration for it.

We walked next to Tomorrowland were we saw the Observatron come to life on the theme from Le Visionarium!  How magical is that for a DLRP fan?!

[dailymotion:1fv8zu6q]x58y5x[/dailymotion:1fv8zu6q]

We concluded our evening at Inventions where we learned how to ride a Segway!  

To be continued...

Javey74

Another brilliantly written time piece, with the usual fantastic array of photos... :D  Talking of photos, I hope you camera wasn't too water damaged after the 'Pixar Play Parade' :roll:

Looking forward as ever to the next epilogue.  :wink:  :D