[WDW] Two new babies at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Started by Remco K., March 21, 2008, 04:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remco K.

QuoteLAKE BUENA VISTA , Fla. , March 13, 2008 -- Disney's animal care team has been busy over the past two weeks with the births of two new bundles of joy -- a female baby giraffe named Makena and a male baby zebra named Kidani.

Born on March 8, Kidani is the first Hartmann's Mountain Zebra born at Walt Disney World Resort. The Hartmann's Mountain Zebra is an endangered species native to Angola, Namibia and South Africa. Kidani was bred through the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) Population Management Plan, which is a consortium of zoos and wildlife parks working together to conserve and breed animals.

Kidani was named for the new expansion of Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas, which will be named Kidani Village. The zebra currently weighs approximately 65 pounds and stands three and a half feet tall. Kidani's been known to kick up his heels and run around the yard, with his watchful mother Kari, nearby. As an adult male, Kidani could reach 800 pounds, and stand five feet tall.

Makena, which means "Happy One" in Swahili is the female giraffe born on Leap Day, February 29. At birth, she weighed 118 pounds and stood five feet, six inches tall. Makena was standing just one-and-a-half hours after birth and started nursing shortly after. Makena is the first calf for her mother, four-year-old Malaika, who was born at Disney's Animal Kingdom. When Makena grows up, she could be as tall as 15 feet. She is the eighth giraffe born at Disney since Disney's Animal Kingdom opened in 1998.

Both mothers and babies are doing well and are expected to rejoin their herds on the savannah at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge in the coming weeks.
Source: AllEars.Net

Owain

Ahhh how lovely, animal kingdom by far is still my favourite WDW park ! =D>

Alpop

I can't wait to go back there, to see all the new additions (inc these 2).

I can't help but think about zoo tycoon though. Surely the breeding is as easy the game.

Masamune

:D Aww, that's great news!