Luxo sues Disney

Started by Nicholas-c, September 08, 2009, 02:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicholas-c

QuoteLuxo sues Disney over hopping desk-lamp character

"Luxo Jr.," the squeaky desk-lamp character created by John Lasseter more than two decades ago, is in the spotlight again -- this time under the glare of a transatlantic lawsuit.

The hopping swivel lamp has been a corporate mascot for Pixar Animation Studios since its founder created the character in 1986 for a short computer-animated movie that was nominated for an Academy Award. Lasseter was said to have based the character on his own Luxo lamp.

But Norwegian lamp maker Luxo isn't happy with how Pixar and its parent company, Walt Disney Co., are using its name.

Luxo filed a lawsuit yesterday in New York federal court against Pixar and Disney accusing the companies of infringing on its copyright by selling a limited-edition "Luxo Jr." lamp packaged with a Blu-ray version of the Disney-Pixar "Up." The complaint also cites a new attraction at Walt Disney World that is a six-foot animatronic version of the lamp.

Oslo-based Luxo said in the complaint that the Luxo name hadn't been used on Pixar and Disney products until now and that sale of the Pixar lamps would "cause devastating damage to Luxo and dilute the goodwill which Luxo has built up." The company, in business since 1939, says more than 25 million of the lamps have been sold.

A spokesman for Disney said the company had not seen the complaint and could not comment.

Photo: Father-and-son lamps come to life in the short animated film "Luxo Jr."  Credit: Pixar Animation Studios

LA times

Picture of the "Product" in queston...

Surely they have to be joking? I bought a lamp like that from ikea a few months ago lol it wasn't called luxo but non the less!
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

Aveen2008

I totally don't get how he thinks its going to be devistating for the Luxo company/name!! At the end of the day they are getting major promotion! No one today would care about the stupid lamp or know what it was if it wasn't for the major money and success of the pixar/disney companies!

If you ask me this is either a total publicity stunt or a way to try and get money!
Luv Aveen xoxo

Pete's Dragon

This is the same thing that Apple had with Apple Records, and the Wrestling had with the World Wilflife Fund - WWF

The WWF were tolerant enough of the the Wrestling as long as they didn't over-promote the use of the WWF logo. After several years, the WWF felt the Wrestling was pushing the logo too much, and sued. Thus we now have the WWE

Apple records logo was an apple, strangely enough. And as above had te same agreement with Steve Jobs. They're dispute ended in a court payout from Apple if memory serves me

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Aveen2008"I totally don't get how he thinks its going to be devistating for the Luxo company/name!! At the end of the day they are getting major promotion! No one today would care about the stupid lamp or know what it was if it wasn't for the major money and success of the pixar/disney companies!

If you ask me this is either a total publicity stunt or a way to try and get money!

To be fair, Disney are technically making money out of their image (especially with the special Blu-Ray pack) and clearly they aren't getting anything from it, but you are right in that it is good promotion.

-breeno-

So they're sueing Disney for selling the Luxo Blu-ray pack?  Not the fact it's been Pixar's mascot for the past so many years?

In my opinion this is madness.  Chances are it's not even a Luxo lamp in the pack, just a cheap to manufacture copy.  So they're pretty much sueing for using the Luxo name, which unless Pixar got permission for using the Luxo name i can understand, but why decide to sue now when this is released, any not when the original Luxo short was made?

If anything this is a good thing for Luxo, yes they may not be making anything from it, but Pixar have certainly made them more popular.  I for one couldn't tell you a single lamp make other than Luxo to save my life, and if i saw a Luxo lamp in town i would be tempted to buy it just for the Pixar thing ( :P ).  I'm sure others are like me.

My guess is Disney will have to give any profit from the Blu-ray package to Luxo.  Speaking of which i think looks pretty cool :P
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Javey74

I'm sorry but the sheer size of Disney means that Luxo will be going in one end of Disney with a lawsuit and they will be spat straight back out at the other end wishing they had never filed the lawsuit to begin with..  :roll:

Anthony

I can see Luxo's point. Is Luxo Jr. definitely based on a product they and they alone sell and have trademarked/patented? If so, why on earth don't Pixar already have an agreement? That's madness.

They should have done a deal with Luxo themselves for this lamp tie-in, not made a knock-off version.

Willow

Maybe the license between Luxo and Disney/Pixar is to use the lamp graphically and as a mascot whereas this is merchandising.

Luxo have every right to feel annoyed at this, I'm totally on their side.

Nicholas-c

Quote from: "Javey74"I'm sorry but the sheer size of Disney means that Luxo will be going in one end of Disney with a lawsuit and they will be spat straight back out at the other end wishing they had never filed the lawsuit to begin with..  :roll:

You say that but recently Microsoft (Worlds biggest most powerful company) was told not to sell word because a very VERY small company filed a law suit injunction against them and they won. I have seen many others.

I think Luxo co. want to win this for 1) money 2) the fact that when you see a Luxo jr. style lamp you think Disney not Luxo Co. lamp

Either way, doing it this late on is rather dislike-able.

I would laugh though if Pixar were selling actual Luxo Lamps and no one in shipping department noticed the massive numbers of orders to "Pixar HQ" :P
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

Javey74

Quote from: "Nicholas-c"
Quote from: "Javey74"I'm sorry but the sheer size of Disney means that Luxo will be going in one end of Disney with a lawsuit and they will be spat straight back out at the other end wishing they had never filed the lawsuit to begin with..  :roll:

You say that but recently Microsoft (Worlds biggest most powerful company) was told not to sell word because a very VERY small company filed a law suit injunction against them and they won. I have seen many others.

I think Luxo co. want to win this for 1) money 2) the fact that when you see a Luxo jr. style lamp you think Disney not Luxo Co. lamp
True, but think of it another way, Microsoft is noted for products that are in use world wide by just about everyone in the modern world, so is Disney but not to everyones needs on a day to day basis, we're only talking a lamp here.  Disney must feel comfortable enough to progress and that is probably due to the fact that large businesses come with large profile clever lawyers for guidance..  :wink:

Personally I think this might all boil down to the packaging and logos at the end of the day, which Disney would have researched from a legal angle as to what they can and cannot get away with..  :)

Pete's Dragon

Luxo never complained before about the use of the lamp, because it was all free publicity. Every time someone watched a Pixar film there is the lamp.
Now Pixar are trying to make money from it, and this is why Luxo are angry.

As for them having no hope in a lawsuit, well they do most certainly. I remember 2 people took McD's to court because they didn't like the fact they adertised at kids. They won.

Question: Why don't Disney buy the Luxo Lamp Company ?? Problem solved

Owain

I guess it would be the same if Luxo brought out a Pixar style Luxo lamp, Disney wouldnt be happy with luxo using disney franchises.

-breeno-

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Question: Why don't Disney buy the Luxo Lamp Company ?? Problem solved

I wouldn't be surprised if it still happened.  I remember hearing a while back the head of Fox Entertainment wanted to sue The Simpsons creators because of all the Fox jokes in the programme, and didn't even know it's a Fox show! :lol:
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Gareth

ooo it kinda sucks iv seen plenty lamps like that but i do want one :D just like in the bolt box heh

[size=150]Please Follow Me - - - - Twitter.com/Gareth2100 ---- Thanks