Shanghai Disney Resort

Started by Kristof, July 08, 2005, 08:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haz

Shanghai to resume building Disneyland theme park after 2010 - report
December 02, 2007: 11:35 PM EST

Dec. 2, 2007 (Thomson Financial delivered by Newstex) --

BEIJING (XFN-ASIA) - Shanghai will resume building its Disneyland (NYSE:DCQ) (NYSE:DIS) theme park after 2010, the China Business Journal reported citing sources.

A source was quoted as saying that total investment in the projected theme park will also increase to 40 bln yuan from the previous 30 bln yuan.

The park is expected to be located on Chongming island instead of the original plan to build it in Shanghai's Chuansha district, the source said.

The Disneyland them park project was suspended due in part to fallout from the Shanghai pension fund scandal last year.

Found this on screamscape yesterday.
All the Best,

Haz

experiment627

Quote from: "Haz"The park is expected to be located on Chongming island instead of the original plan to build it in Shanghai's Chuansha district, the source said.

According to the German Wikipedia entry about Chongming, Shanghai wants to develop this Yangtze River island with an emphasize on ecology, sustainability - and tourism... So it sounds logically that they are looking into having a resort destination there...

WDI1992

2010 now... hehe... this is almost getting funny, 'then they build, then they don't...'
As for the idea: I hope their not getting like Starbucks: one Disney resort around every corner!  :P
Allthough it sounds that 3 Disney resorts in Asia is a 'tad' much (since Disney is not an Asian company) I also think for the amount of inhabitants and looking at the surface between the Resorts this may be fine though... then again I wonder what will happen to Hong Kong Disneyland with its already low attendance, for the people situated in the middle of HKD and Shanghai... hmm..oh anyway, I guess it will be a while before the Resort gets built... or won't  it?  :twisted:
Ne cessez jamais de croire ... et, imaginez un peu! Parce que, c\'est là où les rêves deviennent réalité  

and always remember, if you can dream it, you can do it!
www.ResortDreams.net

Owain

From Coaster Force;

QuoteDisneyland Shanghai - Moving Forward?
Submitted By: Hyde244
Published: February 24th 2008

While Disney continues efforts to help improve their Hong Kong Disneyland, opened in 2005 and in short has yet to live up to expectations, word has spread on the construction of a second Disneyland in Shanghai.

The Shanghai Securities Journal cited an unknown source in saying the theme park is due to be built in the southern outskirts of Shanghai's Pudong district and has already received needed government approvals.

However Walt Disney Co.'s spokeswoman in Asia, Alannah Hall-Smith denied the report, and maintains that "There is no agreement and there is no deal."

Hall-Smith reiterated that Disney has been discussing various initiatives in China for years, including theme parks, community programs and business operations.

From IHT;

QuoteA long-anticipated plan to build a Disney theme park in Shanghai is likely to move ahead soon, a state-run newspaper said Friday, though the company denied the report.

The Shanghai Securities Journal, citing an unnamed official, said the park is due to be built in the southern outskirts of Shanghai's Pudong district and has already received needed government approvals.

"In the past it was all speculation, this time it's for real!" the paper said.

However, Walt Disney Co.'s spokeswoman in Asia, Alannah Hall-Smith denied the report.

"There is no agreement and there is no deal," Hall-Smith said.

She reiterated that Disney has been discussing various initiatives in China for years, including theme parks, community programs and business operations.

"China is an important market for (Disney)," she said.

The company, which has set up offices in a sleek new Shanghai commercial complex, has repeatedly emphasized that for now it is focusing on developing its Hong Kong theme park, which opened in 2005 but has not lived up to expectations.

The report lifted shares in Shanghai-based property companies Friday, analysts said, despite the local market's overall weakness.

disneyreporter

According to cctv.com, a local Chinese news source, the Shanghai mayor has officially sent an application to the Chinese government for a Disneyland park to be built in the city. If this is true, it means Disneyland Shanghai is getting closer to being built, though that point in time is still a good amount of time away.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
(http://www.disneyreporter.com)
Four years of magic and still going strong.

Owain

Latest news;
QuoteSome news draft of Shanghai Disney Resort. It seems confirmed that the Chinese government has indeed given its approval for the construction of this resort. Covering an area equal to 5 times that of Hong Kong, work could begin in 2010 and last for 3 years.
I think its a bit selfish and risky to build another theme park in china because they already have one park and its failing, another park could be just as bad or worse. Hows about give a grant to australia or india who are not in close distance to a disney park !  :idea:

Source;//http://www.disneytheque.com/index.php?/archives/12-Shangha-Disneyland.html

Kristof

Jim Hill wrote an article this week about a forthcoming announcement in September.  

Highlights from the article:

Quote[...]$3.8 billion project (with its three hotels as well as the largest Magic Kingdom in the world) could be open for business as early as 2012

QuoteShanghai Disneyland will be the most Pixar-centric theme park on the planet.

Quote[...]according to a preliminary listing of rides, shows and attractions that have been proposed for this park (Which are -- of course -- subject to change between now and this project's 2012 opening date), Woody, Jessie and Bullseye will ride herd on Frontierland while Shanghai Disneyland's Autopia will serve as the centerpiece of a brand-new "Cars" -themed part of this park.

QuoteCaptain Jack Sparrow will stagger around a Pirates-centric version of Adventureland while Rapunzel & her tower will ... Well, tower over Fantasyland.

Read the full article here.

Anthony

Though I moaned a little when you told me this news, it's nice to see they seem to be creating a brand new and unique Castle design for this park, finally.

Le Chateau is safe once again. :mrgreen:

Owain

I was going to moan about them having the biggest magic kingdom park and nocking ours down to 2nd..

But like it matters, when ever i tell people that dlrp has the biggest magic kingdom in the world, they tell me "NO! WDW is!". They just cant get it into there heads that im not on about the resort im on about the magic kingdom park itself  :?

Seems like a cool idea with a new castle but i dont like the idea of themeing there autopia to cars, where would they put it without it having the be its on land like in DCA  :?:

xxx888

Dear all, I'm from Shanghai. Actually, there is no update information from government.

Maybe it is not the right time to discuss this project during Olympic Game.

And I do believe both Chinese Governemtn and Disney only wants to make more money.

But they really can get much from local people.

Yes, it is still difficult to get visa of foreign coutries for most of the people here (from contry side), they had to come to big cities to look for FUN.

e.g. The population for Shanghai is almost 2,0 M, 1/3 are from other provinces/countries. And still increasing.

Actually, there are lot of opportunities here. :^o

xxx888

maybe you've already got some update information, below is from one of my friend.

Shanghai Disneyland will be the biggest Disney resort (Magic Kingdom) in the world, total 600 hektares (HK Disneyland is the smallest one, total 200 hektares).

Local government will also build a railway to connect 50 cities among East China. It can send the tourists to Disneyland directly.

Walt Disney will provide the technology support and obsorb 51% of the construction cost. Could be finished on 2012.

Shanghai will focus on the actors in Pixar Movies. The movice Rapunzel will also be a new sight in the land.

Bob Masterson (chairman of certain committee) said they have done the research enough to build 3 theme parks, they won't make any mistake. It will make money in long term. They also built many theme parks in China, India and Korea.

Theme

HK Disneyland: copy CA Disneyland with 43 years history
Shanghai Disneyland: have more new games, include the new movie which will only be shown on 2010.

Main Actors

HK Disneyland: traditional actors, Mickey Mouse, Dun Duck...etc.
Shanghai Disneyland: New actors, Buzz Lightyear.

Seems it could be true.

MSW

Re:
Quote from: "Kristof"
Quote from: "WaltDisneyFanBoy"Well, it's to far away for me.

stop making these pointless posts.  This is your final warning.

Well, this is only just talking, right?
:P I only see someone's opinion...

But anyways, They truly have to stop.
I also think, that just like Anthony said the one in that continent wouldn't be that special anymore.

And Disneylands/worlds/kingdoms should be in special places, far away from eachother.
At least, that's my opinion...

Kristof

Quote from: "MSW"Well, this is only just talking, right?
:P I only see someone's opinion...

MSW, WaltDisneyBoy has received numerous warnings from me, Anthony and Patrick in the past for making off topic comments like these (yes, I can quote them).  Besides, that warning was made on 03 Dec 2007.  There's no need to bring this back up, unless this is yet another way to bring me in a bad daylight?  :wink:

Now back on topic to Shangai Disneyland...  :D  :mrgreen:

Kristof

An official announcement for the Shangai Disneyland project seems to be coming closer and closer now.

Here's an article by Reuters today:

Quote from: "Reuters"SHANGHAI, Jan 8 (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co (DIS.N) has completed talks with the Shanghai government on plans to build a Disneyland theme park in the city and the project will be announced soon, the official Shanghai Securities News reported on Thursday, citing people close to the talks.

Senior Disney executives came to Shanghai last December to discuss details of cooperation with the local government and the two sides achieved a consensus on the project, the newspaper said.

The project, however, has yet to receive approval from China's central government, which will be essential if it is to go ahead.

A spokeswoman for the Shanghai government declined to comment. A Disney representative in Hong Kong could not immediately be reached for comment.

The plan calls for Shanghai Disneyland to open to the public in 2013, the newspaper said, citing an expert involved in the feasibility study for the project.

Disney has engaged in on-again, off-again talks for more than a decade with the Chinese government over plans to build a large theme park and hotel complex in the southern outskirts of Shanghai's Pudong district.

Those talks were stalled by a Shanghai government scandal in 2006 and Disney's need to focus on Hong Kong Disneyland, which opened in 2005 to a string of operational problems and lacklustre attendance.

The Shanghai Securities News also said Shanghai Lujiazui Group and Shanghai Waigaoqiao Group would take part in the construction of the project.

Shares in their listed units Shanghai Lujiazui Finance & Trade Zone Development Co (600663.SS) and Shanghai Wai Gaoqiao Free Trade Zone Development Co (600648.SS) rose their 10 percent daily limits in morning trade on Thursday, although by the end of the morning session Shanghai Lujiazui Development had pared its gains to about 4.6 percent. (Reporting by Samuel Shen; Editing by Edmund Klamann)

Source

Willow

Let's hope its more Tokyo Disney Resort than Hong Kong Disney Resort.