Sleeping Beauty Castle - 2011 refurbishment

Started by Remco K., March 01, 2008, 11:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

15MagicalYears

Quote from: "Meph"Apparently, they have to ask Imagineering to do that, now.

Well thank god for that, hopefully they'll be super strict on what's allowed and what's not.

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "Meph"Apparently, they have to ask Imagineering to do that, now.

Hopefully the man from Imagineering, he say 'Non!!!'

peter

I heard about that. Is it true that imagineering gt fed up of all the castles being dressed badly, so if a park wants to change the decor of ANY building then they need permission?

Josh

Yes!!! :D

InsideDLParis just posted with the news that the castle refurb is almost done. The roof at the centre has finally been painted, and it looks brilliant! :D

http://twitpic.com/618ib2
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

alternativerock123

I just saw it and I am soooooooooooooo happy it has been done ready for my trip. =P  :D  :thumbs:

However the sides of the roof are still white currently. =]
31st Aug - 1st Sept 2010 = Kyriad Torcy (First Time <3)
11th - 14th July 2011 = New York Hotel
2nd - 4th Aug 2011 = Kyriad Torcy
31st Oct 2011 = Day Trip
13th March 2012 (Disneyland Cal)
10th - 13th April 2012= Hotel L'Elysée
30th May - 1st June 2012 = Hotel L'Elysée
31st Oct - 1st Nov 2012 = Residence Prestige
18th - 20th July 2013 - Residence Prestige
9th -11th Nov 2013 = Hotel L'Elysée (First Christmas Trip!)
Coming soon:
29th April - 1st May = Hipark Serris.

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "Meph"Yes!!! :D

InsideDLParis just posted with the news that the castle refurb is almost done. The roof at the centre has finally been painted, and it looks brilliant! :D

http://twitpic.com/618ib2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow, even with the  overcast weather conditions, the golden rooftop looks really shiny  8)

I'm sure if I looked hard enough there's a post of mine from over a year ago where I commented about the lack of paintbrushes around the park compared to the well kept shrubbery and bushes.

pussinboots

Wow, that central turret really does make a difference. They've won back a lot of believability by removing those odd gradients, although I do hope more aging and weathering is on the way. The newly blue rooftops look too bright and plasticky as it is.

samuelvictor

Wow it's nice to see the castle like this - when we went in March 2011 the WHOLE bottom half of the castle was covered with scaffolding boxed in and painted to look a bit like the real castle if you squinted :roll: I'm glad to see the work was worthwhile doing - can't believe it's been on the card since 2008?! Looks like they did a great job.

Was difficult to explain to our kids that in a park that's open 365 days a year, stuff has to be constantly fixed and improved - was particularly noticeable when we were there as Pirates of the Carribean, Alice's curious Labyrinth, and what looked like a large portion of Discoveryland was being worked on. We still had a great time though, and curious Labyrinth opened on our last full day :)

Josh

I just got back a couple of days ago. I couldn't stop looking at the castle, seeing it mostly done. XD
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Columbiad

I couldn't find a dedicated topic to the Castle, so I though I'd post here.

After thinking about the identity of the dragon over on the Dragon Refurb thread, I began thinking about the identify of the castle itself, and the identify of the castle in each of the parks.

Are any of the castles in the parks indented to the be actual Castle from the story? If so why is it Sleeping Beauty Castle/Cinderella Castle as opposed to Sleeping Beauty's Castle/Cinderella's Castle? And what was the thinking behind this? I'm sure I remembered reading something about this subject somewhere before, but can't remember where.

DGRavenswood

The lack of 's is common to most early attractions in Disneyland... In 1955 it was Dumbo Flying Elephants, Peter Pan Flight, King Arthur Carrousel, Mike Fink Keel Boats.... So that could simply be a matter of "style." Maybe someone else could shed some more light on this.

As for being "the" castle, well.... none was really based visually on the films' castles, although our Chateau de la Belle Dormant used the same design influences. What's more, reportedly Disneyland's castle was originally going to be Snow White's (soon changed to raise awareness of Sleeping Beauty which was in production at the time).

I think the Imagineers simply didn't want to limit themselves with the films' designs which were never intended to be built in three dimensions and had a number of inconsistencies.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

Festival Disney

Just a quick one, the pole from which Tinkerbell once attached to has now gone for good!
Quotethe pole where Tinkerbell used to be attached to has disappeared.. http://pic.twitter.com/1UHamRvx
(@InsideDLPairs)

Can't wait for Kristof's next batch of pictures, minus the pole  :lol:
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day