What's everyones view on Disney sequels

Started by EmoK, October 16, 2007, 06:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Toy Story 2 and Rescuers Down Under weren't Disney TV sequels though. What people are meaning are the direct to video DTV sequels.

I like the concept and story idea's behind the Aladdin one's, but they are let down by animation.

I love Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas, I think it's a magical story, the animation on the whole is very good, and it's a Christmas tradition these days.

Belle's Magical World is disappointing, the animation is fairly poor and it was obviously intended as a TV series that never got off the ground and so ended up lumped together as a film. Only thing it really has going for it is that it's Belle, and the original voice cast returned, so we get Paige O'Hara's enchanting Belle characterisation again.

Lion King 2 is reasonable, but a bit of a rehash plot wise, and the animation doesn't really stand up to the original. I was disappointed that TImon and Pumbaa hardly appear. Lion King 1.5 was hilarious, I love that one.

Pocahontas 2 has an interesting idea, it develops on actual events where Pocahontas came to England, but again, it's let down by poor animation.

Less said about Hunchback 2, Tarzan and Jane, Milo's Adventure and Cinderella II the better.

Some of the more recent one's have been enjoyable diversions, Tarzan 2, Brother Bear 2, Fox and the Hound 2, Mulan 2 etc, animation has improved dramatically. The stories are usually a bit lightweight, but there has been improvement in production values.

Bambi II and Cinderella III are both excellent, two of the best DTV sequels in terms of animation quality. The story behind Cinderella III is excellent, it builds some real tension towards the end, and it's a fitting sequel to the original.

I think the only one I've not seen is the Dalmatians sequel, which will no doubt get reissued next year when 101 Dalmatians comes out in it's platinum edition.

goofy-2000

What about all the stitch sequels?

:stitch_bounce:  :stitch_bounce:  :stitch_bounce:  :stitch_bounce:  :stitch_bounce:
i want every single goofy in the whole wide world ha ha ha

treble

i think there's room for another one. stitch is so popular amoungst all ages
some sequels were good some not so good but they all brought the money in
just like alice you\'re in wonderland

Javey74

I tend to agree to a point about sequels.  :-k

To me a good sequel must have a strong story line, with new concepts and ideas, but must also have a firm link in some shape or form to the original film.  :wink:

Another essential quality of a sequel is the soundtrack, I am a lover of Disney Soundtracks, some of which I like are from sequels, like for example, "Digga Tunnah" from The Lion King 3.  So the way I see it, those tracks would never have been written if it were not for the sequels themselves.  :wink:  

:offtopic:
I find some of the newer Disney Films are written better and with the help of new technologies, sound out of this world. 'Enchanted' is a good example. That's not to say the older ones are hopeless, far from it, the majority are truly classics when it comes to the storyline, theming and scoring of the whole film, a Disney specialty.  It just technology has taken over, original films have been remastered, to bring them up to todays qualities.  Even to the simplest quality of an original film being recorded in stereo, can now be listened to in Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound and so on...... :-#

Anyway back to the question...... :roll:  

Sequels, in the above sense already have this luxury, so half the works been done.   But as I said before, you must work on the storyline to make the sequel work.

I like Mulan, but I also like Mulan 2 about the same, again it comes down to the links rule, but still applying new concepts and ideas to move the storyline that bit further.

Some original films need at least one sequel, to give more depth to the original story, this is often used to enhance features that may have just been touched on in the original, but not fully explained.  Putting brand new storylines and features within some sequels can be a mistake, which take you away from the main roots of the original film.

Anyway those are my views, bit of a mixed bag really  :lol:  :lol: