Disneyland Resort Paris to be smoke-free as of April 2008

Started by Remco K., January 25, 2008, 01:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete's Dragon

To everyone (esp. the smokers)who has visited since April, how is the non-smoking in the parks working  ? Do the CM ask you to smoke in the proper places ? Do smokers listen or care ?

Sadly, I am a smoker desperatley trying to quit before we go in Sept.

BlueClouds

From what I saw on my trip last week, there isn't much of a difference. The smoking areas are marked on the map but I'm not sure if many people notice them or actually care. There were still people smoking around the park and the cast members weren't doing much against it although to be wholly fair to them, I don't think it's top of their priority list and they do a great job.
Yo ho, Haul together, hoist the colours high
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, Never shall we die!

Epcot_Boy

Quote from: "BlueClouds"From what I saw on my trip last week, there isn't much of a difference. The smoking areas are marked on the map but I'm not sure if many people notice them or actually care.

:( Well they better get it sorted out when I go shortly, otherwise I can see myself getting in trouble :x  :roll:  :oops:

When people smoke where they shouldn't I can get quite stroppy :-"  :oops:  :wink:

Epcot_Boy :ears:

David

experiment627

Quote from: "Epcot_Boy":( Well they better get it sorted out when I go shortly, otherwise I can see myself getting in trouble :x  :roll:  :oops:

When people smoke where they shouldn't I can get quite stroppy :-"  :oops:  :wink:

I am going to repeat myself: there is NO smoking ban at Disneyland Resort Paris.

The parks offer smoking zones, but that doesn't mean that smokers are only allowed to smoke in those designated areas. Smoking is allowed in all outdoor areas of the parks.

Anthony

Quote from: "experiment627"The parks offer smoking zones, but that doesn't mean that smokers are only allowed to smoke in those designated areas. Smoking is allowed in all outdoor areas of the parks.
I guess it depends how you read it. The park maps say:

"For everyone's comfort and convenience, special areas have been set up for those who wish to smoke. Please smoke only in these designated areas."

That sounds to me like you shouldn't smoke just anywhere.

experiment627

Quote from: "Baloo"
Quote from: "experiment627"I guess it depends how you read it. The park maps say:

"For everyone's comfort and convenience, special areas have been set up for those who wish to smoke. Please smoke only in these designated areas."

That sounds to me like you shouldn't smoke just anywhere.

You shouldn't - but you are allowed to. Had a chat with a friend from Guest Relations about this topic a few weeks ago: Cast Members are supposed to offer guests who smoke the "service" of pointing out the nearest smoking area. But guests may smoke anywhere they like.
(Apparently, Disney wants to introduce a smoking ban gradually... that's also the reason why the ash trays all over the park have not been removed yet.)

So, if you want to smoke right there on Main Street U.S.A. in the middle of the day - go ahead!

Epcot_Boy

Quote from: "experiment627"
Quote from: "Epcot_Boy":( Well they better get it sorted out when I go shortly, otherwise I can see myself getting in trouble :x  :roll:  :oops:

I am going to repeat myself: there is NO smoking ban at Disneyland Resort Paris.

The parks offer smoking zones, but that doesn't mean that smokers are only allowed to smoke in those designated areas. Smoking is allowed in all outdoor areas of the parks.

Now that told me.  :-#  #-o  :wink:

David

jeakat24

I smoke 20 a day, and I think it's a good idea. Although I do have a couple of issues.

One: Is that I think that they should have published this in their brochures. Non Smoking was brought in April 08 but my brochure went from December 07 to Nov 08, and my trip is booked for October/November 08.  I don't think that it's fair that I've booked my holiday unaware of this major change. I think they could have decided the move and published it in the next brochure with a date of when it was going to be implemented.

Two: This has happened mainly on other sites, but a lot of people have been quite nasty about smokers when viewing their opinions on the ban. I don't mind people criticizing smoking, that very understandable! But people have been saying that smokers are disgusting etc. Well I'm not disgusting, smoking is, please don't confuse the two!
One man who commented on the DLRPmagic.com article really angered me, saying "don't worry smoke where you want and while you're at it blow smoke in my childs face and put the light end in it's buggy". How dare someone say that a smoker would deliberately blow smoke in a childs face, the majority of smokers are very considerate, even we don't like smoke blown directly into our faces, never mind other people, especially children. He too said that smokers were disgusting, well I find it disgusting to suggest that someone would put a light cigarette end into someone buggy.

Sorry about the rant lol! but I made a comment back to him on DLRPmagic but they haven't put it up, so I need to get it off my chest!

Also everone moans about people smoking in queues (which is unacceptable, I agree) but I never seen anyone do it on any of my trips to Disneyland. At the end of the day, if you knew you could'nt last an hour in a queue without a cigarette why on earth go to a theme park for you holiday?!  :?  :D

It will take a bit of getting used to, I'm really worried that I might accidentally light up without thinking about it, and I just wish that Disney had published it earlier. I know they have a small section in the FAQ's but it took me ages to find!
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

Epcot_Boy

I wouldn't worry to much jeakat. I was there in early August and no one seemed to bother one way or the other regarding smoking. The cms didn't enforce anything regarding smoking. In fact on one occasion while I was queuing to go into the Lion King someone actually lit up by the side of me :evil:  and although there where a few 'Tuts' the individual didn't take a bit of notice :shock:
Actually on many accasions, the designated smoking areas where empty while smokers just walked by them happily puffing away :x

So the 'Smoking Ban' in the parks is..........well...........a Joke  :evil:

David

jeakat24

Thanks so much for being nice Epcotboy, as I've said, I have had some pretty nasty comments in the past, but I will try my hardest to stick to the areas, I'm buying nicotine patches so hopefully that'll help! (Although they cost a fortune, which is fine when you're quitting because you just replace the cost of cigarettes with the patches lol)

I absolutely detest people smoking in queues/ waiting for the parades, it gives smokers a really bad name (as if we didn't understandably have one already!) If I'm waiting for the parade I will walk to a quieter area to have a cigarette while my partner saves my place. In fact most people around you will save your space if you tell them why you're leaving it, they appreciate that you're not smoking around them
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

Epcot_Boy

Quote from: "jeakat24"If I'm waiting for the parade I will walk to a quieter area to have a cigarette while my partner saves my place. In fact most people around you will save your space if you tell them why you're leaving it, they appreciate that you're not smoking around them

Absolutely..........that's the way to do it. I would happily hold a place for someone who wanted to pop out for a quick puff. I was a smoker once myself..........and often asked people to hold my place when I desperately needed a puff :oops:
People certainly appreciated it..........after all.......it's the cigarette that's the problem.....not the smoker :wink:

David

DanielCraig

Im a smoker and upon arriving when i took the first look at the new map and then saw the designated smoking areas i thought that we couldnt smoke anywhere else and the first few times we did go to these areas, BUT they were empty, always! And for the rest of the vacation (5 days in the parks) we sometimes went to those areas but we never saw a single person using those areas for smoking besides us. As for smoking outside these areas, we just tried to find a quieter spot besides trash bin somewhere to have a smoke.
 Despite being a smoker  myself I loathe when people smoke carelessly everywhere, there were less carefree smoker this yea tho but still ,smoking in the queues, smoking next to babies, smoking in toilets (!) - thats just disgusting.

All our wishes
Will
come
True

jeakat24

Can you still smoke in the village? I have seen nothing on any smoking areas there.
I do like the placement of most of the smoking areas, apart from the one near the main gates and the one next to city hall, they don't need two that close!  :?  I like that fantasyland only has one, makes sense.

One thing that did annoy me though was DLRPmagic.com's article, at the end they say "The areas chosen — or perhaps "condemned" — in Paris — soon to become "no-go areas" for non-smokers"
Please don't moan that it's a no-go area for non-smokers, you're already happy with the ban, don't moan about something else!  :)
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

DanielCraig

Quote from: "jeakat24"Can you still smoke in the village? I have seen nothing on any smoking areas there.
I do like the placement of most of the smoking areas, apart from the one near the main gates and the one next to city hall, they don't need two that close!  :?  I like that fantasyland only has one, makes sense.

One thing that did annoy me though was DLRPmagic.com's article, at the end they say "The areas chosen — or perhaps "condemned" — in Paris — soon to become "no-go areas" for non-smokers"
Please don't moan that it's a no-go area for non-smokers, you're already happy with the ban, don't moan about something else!  :)

it seems you can smoke everywhere for now its just not advisable.

All our wishes
Will
come
True

Anthony

Quote from: "jeakat24"One thing that did annoy me though was DLRPmagic.com's article, at the end they say "The areas chosen — or perhaps "condemned" — in Paris — soon to become "no-go areas" for non-smokers"
As it turns out, those areas are probably where you're least likely to see someone smoking anyway... :wink: