How to use copyrighted material

Started by roaldbergmann, January 15, 2008, 05:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roaldbergmann

Hey folks.

I wanna make an unofficial disney site in my homecountry, Denmark. And i would like to call it something with the name Disney. Can i do that? It's a non-commercial site. And i would also like to use some disney characters, like Tinker here at the top of this page. Is that legal?

Hope you can help.

Thanks.

Alpop

8-[  8-[
Now you've got me panicking!!!
Only kidding.
I've got Disney-Links.com (sorry for the advert). As far as I'm aware, as long as you put a disclaimer / copyright notice on your pages you should be fine.
My site has been around 8 month ish and I know that I have had visitors from a Disney company IP address (i think it was in New York). One visit was about 4 months after I launch Disney-Links and the second visit was when I released the DisneyLinksReview.com url. I haven't been contacted at all. As far as I'm aware if they wanted to do something the Disney company would email via the site or find your postal address through WHOIS.

Saying that if your site was rubbishing Disney they may contact you.

roaldbergmann

ok... thanx. but that's still no guarantee that they won't someday suddently close down your site. Now i've tried to call Disney's legal department, but a machine just told me that i should send mail, which i did. I've now opened my site (http://www.disneyonline.dk), you properbly don't read danish, but as you can see, i'm using their logo... maybe it's a bit too much huh? Has anybody ever heard of a disney-site that got closed?

GrandiJoos

I think raptor, Baloo and PATMAGIC etc. know this better than I do but I guess that, as long as you put a disclaimer on each page or below each image stating that it is copyrighted Disney and you're not affiliated with them then its ok.

I also heard that when they warn you, they give you a 24h notice. But I don't think they shoot the little ducks so I wouldn't worry to much yet. (I haven't heard anything yet from them and my site is up for 1,5 year now)

@Alpop interesting to see they're visiting... too bad I didn't save all the access logs to go mining :)

GrandiJoos :cool:

Kristof

You are not allowed to use the Disney name in your domainname or use copyrighted material (like images etc).  (Confirmed by CM).  However, they know their world too and as long as your website is "positive", you won't hear from them.  Always put a disclaimer which all visitors can see at all times in which you explain your site is a fan project not connected to Disney.  

I also want to point out that Disney can shut down your site whenever they want!  They've shut down that site with the DLRP music, not so long ago.  

Regarding your domainname: don't register disneyland.dk or something similar that sounds official.  They'll hunt you down...  :P

Alpop

Just looking through my old logs and I'm assuming this is Disney corp.
The internet connection was provided by Disney Worldwide Services inc. (New york)
but the site was accessed via Riverside, California!

I did double check my copyrights when I read these had accessed the site. :-"

roaldbergmann

How did you get their IP adress? I don't asume that you knew out of your head..? Sorry my bad english, i mean how did you find out that the adress belonged to a Disney corp.?

GrandiJoos

Quote from: "roaldbergmann"How did you get their IP adress? I don't asume that you knew out of your head..? Sorry my bad english, i mean how did you find out that the adress belonged to a Disney corp.?
You can look up who owns an IP address in a so-called 'whois' record. For large corporations the corporation itself appears in the whois record, for consumers like you and me our internet service provider appears in the whois record.

GrandiJoos :cool:

Alpop

To try and serve my visitors best I installed a "tracker" in the site http://www.statcounter.com They provide a free invisable stat counter. As part of their package you can see what search terms were used, where a visitor came from, their path (ie. index.html, then page2.html, then credits.html) and a whole host of other info.

One part showed the ip address, which usually I don't notice as it is usually something like brre.ffth.wanadoo.blahblahblah. But as mentioned above I spotted the ip address of Disney as it showed up in the stats as Disney Worldwide Service inc. instead of a Internet service prodiver.

I changed my stat counter this year as I had hit the limits on statcounter, but it is good as a free resource.