World of Disney in Disney Village (Now Open)

Started by Owain, January 06, 2008, 12:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martyn

There's one thing I dont get, if these stores are differen't to the normal Disney store because they sell a much wider variety of gifts, then why is it going on a very small plot of land?

Anthony

The plot is quite a bit bigger than the current Disney Store and I think most of us have been wondering if it'll be over 2 floors, which would make it substantially bigger.

Given the location and how crowded the current (very dated) store is, it could definitely support that.

Martyn

Hey, it may be dated, but its still pretty cool!

Because you spend the day in the parks, where all the shops do sell the same stuff, you dont really every notice that the shops in the Village do have a variety. You have THE Disney Store which sells the general stuff, and you also have the clothes shop, Studio's shop, 'Princess' shop and we did have Buffalo Trading.

And hopefully this WoD store will add some more variety!!

dagobert

Are there any news on the WoD Store? Do you know if the store got also approved by the Chessy council, like Earl of Sandwich?

pussinboots

Quote from: "Anthony"The plot is quite a bit bigger than the current Disney Store and I think most of us have been wondering if it'll be over 2 floors, which would make it substantially bigger.

Indeed. This sketch certainly suggests two floors, and perhaps even an atrium (considering the substantial dome.) It was inspired by Parisian department stores, after all, and those places do have a penchant for grand atria.

RiverRogue

The design has slightly changed after the retirement of Wing Chao from WDI, but the project is still going ahead and construction ought to start relatively soon.

The retail surface will cover most of the ground floor, with upper floors used for storage. Judging from what I've seen and heard it'll be the smallest of the World of Disney stores, but still rather big compared to other stores in the resort.

dagobert

Quote from: "RiverRogue"The design has slightly changed after the retirement of Wing Chao from WDI, but the project is still going ahead and construction ought to start relatively soon.

The retail surface will cover most of the ground floor, with upper floors used for storage. Judging from what I've seen and heard it'll be the smallest of the World of Disney stores, but still rather big compared to other stores in the resort.

Great news. Do you work for Disney? From where do you get these informations?

Martyn

Am I the only one who doesn't like the exterior design? To me it wont fit in with the colourful vibrance of the Village.

I'd rather it was colourful and 'Disneyie' - like how proper toy shops should be.

pussinboots

Quote from: "RiverRogue"The design has slightly changed after the retirement of Wing Chao from WDI, but the project is still going ahead and construction ought to start relatively soon.

Excellent news, and thank you for bothering to share it. Like a fragment of insider info that can't quite be placed, but is fascinating nevertheless. I'm now very curious as to how "slightly" the design has been changed, and how soon is relatively soon, but we'll see it when it happens.

(But so no dome, then?)

MagicStar

Quote from: "Martyn"There's one thing I dont get, if these stores are differen't to the normal Disney store because they sell a much wider variety of gifts, then why is it going on a very small plot of land?

I bet and we will see. I returned from the parks a few days ago and my opionion is, that the variety of marchandise products gets less more and more. I´m not surprised that people don´t spent enough in the parks. You get the same and same and same articels in every shop. Even the Disney Gallery now sells exact the same things, you can buy an Emporium, the Disneystore and and and.
The thing is, how do you want people to buy more, if you don´t give them the choice.
And I really ask myself, if our new Store will have the same disappointing offer, like at the other stores
[size=150]Let\'s put the Walt back in Disney![/size]

smurfy74

Lets hope parks and resorts have a lot to do with it, just look online and you can see they have a great range in america

davewasbaloo

But that does not mean we will get it here. After all, you can buy fine gold watches that are hand painted in the US parks too, but here it is hard to find some decent watches.

I am not very excited about this because it is likely to have the same rubbish that can be bought elsewhere. After going to the parks for 35 years, there is little interest in plush and plastic toys, even with my own kids.
since 2001 (many before that)

smurfy74

I can hope they will, cant I ?

Scissorsboi

If the building matches the design drawing it'll definately be a welcome addition to the Village for me, I've never liked the view of walking in and seeing the cinema straight away. Hopefully the building would give sense of elegance to the initial view of the Village.

I agree about the plushes, I'd rather see the more limited or exclusive products in the store, and if they want to use the World of Disney store as their new flagship Disney Store (I guess they'll want to), then use the now redundant side of Village to be broken down into smaller boutiques with more unusual types of merchandise.
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

pussinboots

The problem is that this is not Southern California. Disneyland caters to a large market of affluent, discerning people who will buy high-end pop culture merchandise. Shag-designed handbags, D23 bric-a-brac, retro clothing lines with references to Disney's past — these things sell there. It's a state full of Disney fans. At Walt Disney World and in Paris, these markets are virtually nonexistent. Instead, they have to cater to middle-income families who like things that are shiny, colorful and recognizable, and who need to be persuaded to spend. So you end up with every store selling this:

So it's best if we let go of that fantasy and just look forward to a nicer store.