World of Disney in Disney Village (Now Open)

Started by Owain, January 06, 2008, 12:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owain

Rumours are now lifting up that this year the famous World of Disney Store from NYC, WDW and DLR will be coming to Disney Village as part of what wikipedia are calling "the refurbishment of Disney Village". So i guess this good news ?, well i think so. Ive been to the World of Disney store in Walt Disney World and it has everything you could possibly want.

Source;

QuoteWikipedia

In 2008, a World of Disney will open at the Disneyland Resort Paris. Plans for a store to open during the Happiest Celebration on Earth fell through as the resort's operators, Euro Disney SCA, decided to keep the expansion of the resort inside the theme parks and on attractions, but they have commissioned a new store as part of the refurbishment of Disney Village.

//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Disney

Disney Village Section

Shopping

* The Disney Store
    * Hollywood Pictures
    * World of Toys
    * Buffalo Trading Company
    * (Coming 2008) World of Disney

//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Village

Quote from: "Maarten"This photo was posted by member Jollyroger at Disney Central Plaza Forum:

As you can see it was taken about a month ago. If you look closely to the future World of Disney site (between the Esplanade and the Gaumont Cinema Complex, behind the fences) it seems that some dirt has been moved. In the meantime, on the other side of the christmas market and also behind fences, there seems to be moved dirt aswell and even some boxes/trailers (?). Is it possible that World of Disney or the new Gare TGV are on a go? To be honest, I think that Disney wouldn't start construction before they have announced anything, but I just wanted to show you guys.  :)

Quote from: "Grandmath"Hem... Don't want to ruin anyone's hopes, but it seems to me, that those areas always had this "in progress" look since they put those fences. But I'll check them next time I'm walking there, just to be sure. In fact, on DCP a member stated recently that work on the World of Disney would begin at the beginning of 2008 so we never know..

Jake

Oh wow, i hope this is true!
that will be awesome,
thanks Owain :)

Anthony

I've never seen the ground there looking like upturned dirt. Most photos I can find it just looks like old tarmac. It would make sense (and follow all the rumours) for work to start on this in 2008.

The higher visitor numbers against struggling guest spending would be a good justification for a big new store in such a prominent place.

Something to keep an eye on. :)

experiment627

Quote from: "Baloo"The higher visitor numbers against struggling guest spending would be a good justification for a big new store in such a prominent place.

Guest spending is struggling?

Anthony

It doesn't exactly seem to be growing by spectacular amounts, only whenever they increase ticket prices, 0.4% or €0.20 last year. Though it's fairly minor in the bigger picture, I bet that current Disney Store in the state it's in (the cheap frontage, the cramped inside, the model railway that hasn't worked for years) is hardly inspiring people to spend for Euro Disney SCA.

They need a really smart signature location for Disney Village.

Kristof

Quotethe model railway that hasn't worked for years

Off topic: I've seen it work a few times the past year.  Not as much as it should be...  :wink:

Owain

Quote from: "Baloo"They need a really smart signature location for Disney Village.

Which will be World of Disney :D [-o<  :D/

Would disney store change into something else if World of Disney comes ?

DisneyAlba

Hi all,

I have a question about this...
I've read up on the matter on Wiki, and saw that as opposed to in Northern America, the Disney Stores in Europe are still owned by The Disney Company. World of Disney is also owned by The Disney Company. It sounds to me as if the merchandise in these stores is practically identical... So could someone please explain to me how these stores will differ? What will a 'World of Disney' contribute, when there is a 'Disney Store' nextdoor already? Just curious...

:ears:
You can take the girl out of Scotland, but you can't take Scotland out of the girl.

Anthony

It'll be a new flagship store for DV, replacing entirely the current Disney Store which will then be used for something else. :)

The Disney Store in DLRP isn't really a "Disney Store" anyway (at least I don't think so), since it only sells DLRP-tagged products.

Owain

Quote from: "Baloo"It'll be a new flagship store for DV, replacing entirely the current Disney Store which will then be used for something else. :)

The Disney Store in DLRP isn't really a "Disney Store" anyway (at least I don't think so), since it only sells DLRP-tagged products.
Baloo i agree with you, it isnt really a disney store as there are no disney store exclusives there. In the american store in WDW they have sections like The Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique where you can get tansformed into a disney princess, The Adventure Room and The Princess Room.

Heres the website for the WDW The Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, i wonder if wed have one of those ?

//http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/moreMagic/shoppingDetail?id=BibbidiBobbidiBoutiquePage

Ps; Was just going to check google earth, the are of DLRP is so old. The car park and the imax arnt even built !

Anthony

Quote from: "Owain"Heres the website for the WDW The Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, i wonder if wed have one of those ?

//http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/moreMagic/shoppingDetail?id=BibbidiBobbidiBoutiquePage
I hope not! Dressing kids up in make up and everything, yuk. I don't think it'd be popular in Paris.

I like the name though, they could use it as a Princess-themed shop elsewhere.

Is there any chance our World of Disney could be on two floors? It's hard to tell, but the space probably isn't that much bigger than the current Disney Store, which is always full to bursting.

Maarten

Quote from: "Baloo"I like the name though, they could use it as a Princess-themed shop elsewhere.

Good point. Lets get rid of the bland Team Mickey, World of Toys and Hollywood Pictures stores and make room at one of these three locations for a themed shop dedicated to the Disney Princess brand (maybe even meet 'n greets like at Cafe Mickey next door and World of Disney in New York City). That way World of Disney can focus on non related Princess merchandising aswell, although we all know in reality that we will get to see the Princess brand everywhere we look.

On the same note: wouldn't it be a smart move to redesign the current Disney Gallery aswell? To me Vault Disney or Vault 28 like in Downtown Disney in Anaheim seem appropriate names. The entire offering of shops in Disney Village should be sorted out, because its very bland at the moment. Is the Virgin Megastore rumour at the current Disney Store location still valid?

QuoteIs there any chance our World of Disney could be on two floors? It's hard to tell, but the space probably isn't that much bigger than the current Disney Store, which is always full to bursting.

Thats what I was thinking too. It would be a possibility, and if done right (imagine a classy Disney staircase for example) it will add to the shopping experience if you ask me.

Here are a few pics of the current maquette of the Resort. World of Disney has already been added...

Source: Alexandre Rosa

Owain

Offtopic;  :o Wheres that model of the resort ?

Anthony

Quote from: "Maarten"On the same note: wouldn't it be a smart move to redesign the current Disney Gallery aswell? To me Vault Disney or Vault 28 like in Downtown Disney in Anaheim seem appropriate names.
Definitely, Disney Gallery needs changing. If you ask me, that entire row could do with gutting and starting again. The Hollywood Pictures and World of Toys seem to lose various props (and popularity) each year. Some really strong themes would work wonders. Buffalo Trading Company is by far my favourite DV shop.

The problem with Disney Gallery in particular is that wasn't it the old La Poste or Maison du Tourisme? So it has that strange "staircase to nowhere" and a really odd layout that probably doesn't help make much money. I know they're moving the Disney Gallery in Anaheim to DTD soon since the New Orleans Sq. one is being turned into a "Dreams Suite".... Please some crossover, Karl!

Quote from: "Maarten"Is the Virgin Megastore rumour at the current Disney Store location still valid?
I'm not sure how strong that rumour ever was (maybe people presuming DLRP would get one because WDW has it?), but I keep reading rumours of the WDW one closing or becoming an Apple store. Not sure how things are in the US, but Virgin Megastores just died in the UK - Branson sold it and it's now called Zavvi.  If anything, an Apple shop would be more likely. There! We're making our own rumours now! :lol: Not sure how it'd work in DLRP anyway, with the different language DVDs. Would they actually sell?

Quote from: "Maarten"Thats what I was thinking too. It would be a possibility, and if done right (imagine a classy Disney staircase for example) it will add to the shopping experience if you ask me.
I can imagine that classy Disney staircase leading up from a nice circular atrium in the bit underneath the globe in that maquette... I wonder if that is a real design they're working on, or just a kind of placeholder?

I quite like it, apart from maybe the globe on the roof.

GrandiJoos

Quote from: "Owain"Offtopic;  :o Wheres that model of the resort ?
I guess its off-limits to visitors but I found the photo gallery its from: http://alexandrerosa.free.fr/index.php? ... _du_resort

He worked at Disneyland in 2005 but I don't think the photos are that old?

[ontopic]

I'm very curious what they've got planned for Disney Village. Some more shop diversity is very welcome and a real Disney Store would be fantastic!!!

GrandiJoos