Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton 2010)

Started by peep, November 16, 2007, 02:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snow_White_Girl

I'm SO looking forward to this film - Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter is genius! I love anything Tim Burton does - I bought The Corpse Bride the other day and oh my god, amazing! And Alan Rickman playing the caterpillar - great bit of casting! :D

\":lamp:\"

Masamune

Hell YES. Alan Rickman as the Caterpillar is just brilliant! o3o; I'm not too happy about who's down for playing the Cheshire Cat though. They've got Michael Sheen, the guy who played Tony Blair in The Queen. :(

Anthony

Quote from: "Masamune"They've got Michael Sheen, the guy who played Tony Blair in The Queen. :(
But oh the irony. :lol:

Masamune

o.o Where's the irony?

Captain Pan

Mesamune; There Be nothing wrong with our Michael thank ye very much,

An Accomplished Stage Actor, playing the role of Henry in Shakepeare's Henry V, amoung many credits on Londons West End as an actor of Plays.

Star of Movies Such as The Queen for his role as teflon Tony (The reason why there is Irony- Blair was always seen with the widest grin on his face, looking like the cheshire cat, but then his wife is the cat!), He's been in A Blood Diamond, Underworld, and is the first title name in Frost/Nixon:the Movie a character he played in London on Stage.

You may question burtons Choice as too why he's picked Mr Sheen, but considering his credentials the Welsh Wonder is a great choice!

You may wonder how I know all of this and Why I am defending Michael...

I know the Family: His father is a Jack Nicleson look-a-like and is a figure head at my Theatre Group... I met him just 3 weeks ago! and to say he is the most down to earth man would be an understatement, unlike most stars who want pampering Michael took his own bags and was met by his father... and knowing who he was, I didn't feel  star struck... and this Star is Rising quicker than you can imagine...

So Bring the Port Talbot back to the Big Screen.... Roll on Burton... Give Master Sheen his dues... he's better than he's given credit for!

Masamune

:roll: I never said that the guy was a bad actor. I just think that considering all the awesome people that have been cast in other rolls, they could've done a better job of casting Cheshire. Not only is Cheshire Cat my fave character in the book (as well as my fave Disney character), I am also a HUGE fan of Whoopi Goldberg's interpretation of Cheshire in that TV film version of Alice that was done in 1999. She was just awesome as Cheshire, so it would take some DAMN good acting to beat Whoopi.

I can only base my opinion of him on what I've seen of his work (The Queen is all I've ever seen him in, as I don't recall him in those other films you mentioned), and personally, I just don't think he's at the same level as other people that have been cast. Like I said, I don't think he's a bad actor...I just don't think he's good enough at this point, compared to (a) other people already cast in this film and (b) the standard set by Whoopi Goldberg in the 1999 film.

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Masamune" :roll: I never said that the guy was a bad actor. I just think that considering all the awesome people that have been cast in other rolls, they could've done a better job of casting Cheshire... I am also a HUGE fan of Whoopi Goldberg's interpretation of Cheshire in that TV film version of Alice that was done in 1999. She was just awesome as Cheshire, so it would take some DAMN good acting to beat Whoopi.

I can only base my opinion of him on what I've seen of his work (The Queen is all I've ever seen him in, as I don't recall him in those other films you mentioned), and personally, I just don't think he's at the same level as other people that have been cast. Like I said, I don't think he's a bad actor...I just don't think he's good enough at this point, compared to (a) other people already cast in this film and (b) the standard set by Whoopi Goldberg in the 1999 film.

To me an actor... those comments show you think he is actually a bad actor.... Since when has Matt Lucas been that great an actor compared with Depp and Hathaway?

The same was said of Heath Ledger's casting as the Joker... Jack set the standard... and well... Heath kicked the Standard into touch

Burton likes to make stars out of actors... Look At Depp... no one had really heard of the future Captain Jack before Burton gave him scissors for hands... Likewise with Bonham Carter... The Future Beatrix lastrange wouldn't have the gothic vibe unless Burton has
 used and influenced her in a vast majority of his feature films.

Micheal is well capable of taking the role of the Cheshire Cat down another path, like Heath did to the Joker... and Micheal has the grin to do so to... Just look at his Tony Blair!

His work ethic towards a character is unparalleled, he's played a vast majority of bi-opic Characters including Blair, and Carry on Camping Star Kenneth Williams

If you've not heard of any other pieces of his work... Here's a few from imdb.com

Frost/Nixon as David Frost
Blood Diamond as Rupert Simmons
"The Battle for Rome" TV mini-series .... Nero
HG Wells: War with the World (2006) (TV) .... H.G. Wells
The Queen (2006) .... Tony Blair
Kenneth Williams: Fantabulosa! (2006) (TV) .... Kenneth Williams
Underworld: Evolution (2006) .... Lucian
The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse (2005) .... Jeremy
Kingdom of Heaven (2005) .... Priest
Timeline (2003) .... Lord Oliver
The Deal (2003) (TV) .... Tony Blair
Underworld (2003) .... Lucian

He is also the ex-fiance to Kate Beckensdale, and must have some clout in the world as Ashton stitched him up in using him to Punk Kate, with whom he has a daughter.

My question otherwise... Who Would have you Cast as the Cat?

Owain

SPOILER!
Photo of Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter

From hollywoodgrind;

Quote[spoiler:q8amr0c0][/spoiler:q8amr0c0]
Johnny Depp will be appearing in the Tim Burton interpretation of the Lewis Carroll classic Alice in Wonderland. Depp, pictured above, will play the Mad Hatter. The movie will hit theaters March 5, 2010.

//http://www.hollywoodgrind.com/johnny-depp-as-the-mad-hatter-first-pic/

Captain Pan

WOW!

Owain Diolch!

Its is eerily freaky... yet... Somewhat satisfying!!

Next one I want to see...

Lucas' Tweedles and Sheen's Cheshire

Bring it on!

The Butlin Boy

Wow! It's not what I was expecting to see or had in mind, but then again that's what Tim Burton does. Nevertheless, he looks fantastic, and I can't wait for this film :mrgreen:

Masamune

Quote from: "Captain Pan"
Quote from: "Masamune" :roll: I never said that the guy was a bad actor. I just think that considering all the awesome people that have been cast in other rolls, they could've done a better job of casting Cheshire... I am also a HUGE fan of Whoopi Goldberg's interpretation of Cheshire in that TV film version of Alice that was done in 1999. She was just awesome as Cheshire, so it would take some DAMN good acting to beat Whoopi.

To me an actor... those comments show you think he is actually a bad actor.... Since when has Matt Lucas been that great an actor compared with Depp and Hathaway?

The same was said of Heath Ledger's casting as the Joker... Jack set the standard... and well... Heath kicked the Standard into touch

Burton likes to make stars out of actors... Look At Depp... no one had really heard of the future Captain Jack before Burton gave him scissors for hands... Likewise with Bonham Carter... The Future Beatrix lastrange wouldn't have the gothic vibe unless Burton has
 used and influenced her in a vast majority of his feature films.

Micheal is well capable of taking the role of the Cheshire Cat down another path, like Heath did to the Joker... and Micheal has the grin to do so to... Just look at his Tony Blair!

His work ethic towards a character is unparalleled, he's played a vast majority of bi-opic Characters including Blair, and Carry on Camping Star Kenneth Williams

If you've not heard of any other pieces of his work... Here's a few from imdb.com

Frost/Nixon as David Frost
Blood Diamond as Rupert Simmons
"The Battle for Rome" TV mini-series .... Nero
HG Wells: War with the World (2006) (TV) .... H.G. Wells
The Queen (2006) .... Tony Blair
Kenneth Williams: Fantabulosa! (2006) (TV) .... Kenneth Williams
Underworld: Evolution (2006) .... Lucian
The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse (2005) .... Jeremy
Kingdom of Heaven (2005) .... Priest
Timeline (2003) .... Lord Oliver
The Deal (2003) (TV) .... Tony Blair
Underworld (2003) .... Lucian

He is also the ex-fiance to Kate Beckensdale, and must have some clout in the world as Ashton stitched him up in using him to Punk Kate, with whom he has a daughter.

My question otherwise... Who Would have you Cast as the Cat?
Have you seen Matt Lucas in The Wind and the Willows? He's bloody brilliant, so I have no doubts that he'll be good in this film. And LOL, I can't believe you're comparing Micheal Sheen to Heath Ledger. Heath Ledger was always a fantastic actor, one of my favourites. I loved the guy well before The Dark Knight, and knew he was fully capable of pulling off the Joker. :roll: I'm the person who would laugh in the face of people who doubted Heath Ledger, and the person who happily said "I told you so" once the film was released.

I've seen quite a few of those films you've mentioned, but still can't recall him in any of them. Feel free to laugh in my face for doubting this guy, I can take an "I told you so" if it turns out good. For now though, I will continue to believe that a better choice could've been made. Remember, this is my own opinion based on what I've seen of him, which is only The Queen if you don't count the other 5 films he's in that I've seen where I don't actually remember him (if he was as great as you're making out, surely I would've remembered him in more than one film). You sound like you actually know the guy personally, so you're bound to be slightly biased since you're a friend of his family. Just keep in mind that it's my own opinion, meaning that it's nothing to get upset about. :P

On that last note, I'll have to get back to you. :) I've definatly been thinking about who I personally would've loved to have seen in that role instead, but I'm wanting to narrow it down to just one. There's too many names running through my head right now. :lol: Plus my friend's suggestion of Anthony Stewart Head, which I quite liked the idea of.

Anthony

Quote from: "Owain"SPOILER!
Photo of Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter
That's truly one of Depp's most spectacular guises yet. And we haven't even seen him act the role yet.

You know when you just get a good feeling about a project? :)

burntsienna

WOW!
I absolutely love how Johnny Depp looks!
Its amazing!  :mrgreen:
I'm so excited now to see this film!
"I could be the Alice to your Wonderland"

Masamune

:P I forgot to even comment on the Johnny Depp pic. :shock: He looks amaaazing. I hope more pics of him as the Mad Hatter are released soon! :( I can't believe we have to wait until 2010 for this film. And OMG, Stephen Fry is now involved! I adore Stephen Fry!

In regards to who I would rather see in the role of Cheshire, I finally managed to decide on Adrien Brody. I believe that he's a very talented actor, and he just looks like someone who popped right out of the Tim Burton universe. My second choice was Hugo Weaving. :)

Captain Pan

Ok... I think Its Time To leave Mr Burton and His Choice to play the Cheshire Cat alone...

But Did I miss sometihng But

Alan Rickman is to play the Caterpillar, and Crispin Glover is to play the Knave of Hearts who infamously Stole Some Tarts!

Along with Sir Stephen Fry and Chistopher Lee also aboard for the movie... but in currently un named roles... One of them Has to be the Narrator... Here's Hoping Its Sir Stephen as he's FRYtifully amazing!