Disneyland Dubai

Started by roaldbergmann, January 19, 2008, 12:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roaldbergmann

There was some rumours some time ago, that Disney send some people to Dubai to see if they should build a theme park there. Does anybody know what's going on?

Javey74

Hi roaldbergmann

I found this article about it....

QuoteDh8b Disneyland-style theme park for Dubai
By Issac John

1 May 2007

DUBAI — Dubai will have its own Disneyland-style theme park where visitors can relive fantasies and adventures once reserved for Hollywood silver screen.

Scenes from some of the biggest films in Hollywood history, such as Steven Spielberg's Jurassic Park, or King Kong, among others, will be transformed into adventures with the completion of the Dh8 billion Universal City Dubailand project in 2010.

Visitors to the park can explore an ageless land of ancient myths and epic legends. For example, they can watch the death-defying stunts and heart-stopping feats of the mighty sailor Sindbad and his faithful sidekick Kabob attempting to rescue the beautiful Princess Amoura from the evil witch Miseria.

The project, a 22-million-sq-ft development, will be built within Dubailand. It is being jointly developed by Tatweer and Universal Parks and Resorts (UPR), a unit of NBC Universal, which owns Universal Studios Hollywood.

Spielberg, one of the world's most renowned motion picture directors of all time and a three-time Academy Award winner, is the creative consultant for Universal Studios theme parks.

"Mr Spielberg will help shape Universal Studios Dubailand into a unique and outstanding world-class facility," said Tom Williams of UPR.

Saeed Al Muntafiq, Executive Chairman of Tatweer, said the park would contain four zones, including Hollywood Zone, Metropolis Zone and Adventure Zone.

Universal's theme parks are also known for some of most thrilling and technologically advanced "ride-the-movies" motion picture and television show-based attractions.

The first phase of the facility, scheduled to come on stream by 2010, will cover an area of 6.5 million sq ft and will be among the world's largest theme parks.

The park aims to attract 3.3 million visitors in its first year of operation and then up to around 5 million visitors per year, said Al Muntafiq.

Universal Studios Dubailand will also include hotels, retail outlets, commercial offices and residential compounds.

Al Muntafiq said the new project would contribute to showcasing Dubai as a global tourist destination, providing the tourism sector — one of Dubai's most active sectors — with a strong drive to further diversify the economy.
:-k

Sounds very interesting.... :D

roaldbergmann

Yeah i've read that too, but that has nothing to do with Disney.... "Disney-styled..." is what it says... :-)

Javey74

Hi

Yes, I don't think it was supposed to be Disney as we know it, even though there are lots of rumours going around.  There are other places in the world with "Disney Style" attractions.  Even for it to be full Disney enterprise, there are lots of legal minefields.

For a full size 'Official Disney Park', we would know about it, it would not be just a rumour....believe me.  

Advertising main parks is one of Disney's strong points.  After all advertising is money, and there's money to be made in advertising.   :wink:

roaldbergmann

I don't see why we would know about it. Disney wouldn't tell anyone about before they were surden to go through with it. As long as they're still planning and haven' decided yet, they do a good job, keeping things secret...

Javey74

Yes, but I don't mean reveal eveything about the proposal, they spread rumours to get feedback, this inturn helps with decisions, so advertise your wares a little bit, once the decision is made continue.  

I agree when Disney need to keep things secret they are really good at it, this has been proven with some new attractions.  

They would not use the term Disney Style, if it was the official Disney.  Style referring to "like", that would be pointless and misleading.  Remember there has to be an element of trust with the public.  So personally I think if it went ahead, it would be just another copy off, nothing official.  :wink:

Haz

All the news i have read about the development of Dubailand on other sites i have never heard too much about a Disney park. I would doubt it too with the problems in Hong Kong, the pending development of Disneyland, the money being spent in the Dubai project would be a drain on money within the company.
All the Best,

Haz

DisneyParksFan

It would be foolish to open another resort! Maybe some day, but not now. They company is having way too many problems with their current theme parks. Protecting the core brand should be first on the list, not building another mutli-million dollar resort that could leave then it debt, once again.
But Dubai is quickly growing into something big...and attracting alot of people. At the most, they need to get their foot in the door and keep it there as long as possible until they are ready to take on a new resort.

MinnieMouse

We often spend our holidays in Dubai and a few friends of us live there and we see the big area for Dubailand and belive me, there was build no Disneyland in Dubai, no Disney Attraction or anything else from Disney.

Alexandra

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "MinnieMouse"We often spend our holidays in Dubai and a few friends of us live there and we see the big area for Dubailand and belive me, there was build no Disneyland in Dubai, no Disney Attraction or anything else from Disney.

Alexandra

Hmmm, I have it on good authority that they are looking at DVC/DTD type potential there (but not a full on park).  Has that gone sour now I wonder?
since 2001 (many before that)

MinnieMouse

Look here:

http://www.dubailand.ae/

When the park will be finished, it will be a very very big and wonderful park at its own like the Magic of Arabia, not Disney. When we stay next at Dubai (hope this year again) we will go and see what´s new there :-)

Alexandra

howtodeal

I know that Universal, warner and Dreamworks will build their own theme parks
in Dubailand, no word about Disney yet.
but the area is HUGE, they can build three Disneyland parks if they wanted  :P
This article should be useful.

http://www.bizofshowbiz.com/2008/01/dre ... lates.html