Molly Brown riverboat returns!

Started by Anthony, May 16, 2005, 05:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smurfy74

without the risk of sounding childish - yuk. Do maintenance or the managers not see these sort of things, a quick dose of weed killer would sort it out within hours and last for months ( i sound like an advert for weedol!!!) I will definately pay attention to this in September when I go.

ford prefect

They would need to be careful with weed killer due to the wildlife on the lake.
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

-breeno-

Quote from: "Anthony"It has now been just over one year since Molly Brown finally returned to the Rivers of the Far West after that long refurbishment. So, how have they been looking after her over the past 13 months?

I'll let you decide...

More: http://www.dlrpmagic.com/today/2008/07/ ... ens-again/

When was that picture taken Anthony?  I'm asking because when i seen the Molly Brown on the 16th July it didn't seem as bad than it is in that pic, look:

So either the Molly Brown had a quick refurb or i need to do some research on the the speed of weed growth :P
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Anthony

Quote from: "-breeno-"When was that picture taken Anthony?  I'm asking because when i seen the Molly Brown on the 16th July it didn't seem as bad than it is in that pic, look:
The weeds are on the other side, facing away from the riverboat landing. You can see some starting to grow just on the right of the paddle on that side too, though... I guess they're somewhat hard to reach, but surely all they need is a longer version of the thing they pick up rubbish with, and they can do it from on-board?

Imagine if Disneyland California fans saw weeds on their Mark Twain... the world would end. :shock:

Festival Disney

Scaffolding has appeared around the Molly Brown over the last few days...

From DisneyCentralPlaza User: Elessar
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

bigrossco

Quote from: "Festival Disney"Scaffolding has appeared around the Molly Brown over the last few days...

From DisneyCentralPlaza User: Elessar

lookslike she could be getting a touch up of paint or soemthing ready for the main summer season?
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

Festival Disney

Alas, she is no longer Queen of the Rivers :?

Source: Pixiedust.be
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

dagobert

I like the new red color, but I don't know why they changed "Queen of the River" to "Western River Line". I'm sure most people will not recognize that. At least the ship is still called Molly Brown.

pussinboots

I wonder why they changed it? Did they pull this "Western River Line" name out of thin air or was it already a part of the Frontierland backstory? And somehow "line" singular feels odd. It should be "lines," no?

DGRavenswood

I guess I'll weigh in too...

I'm not sure what to make of either change, to be honest. I feel the colors are a little too close to what you see elsewhere on faux paddle steamers; they're also rather masculine for a boat called Molly Brown... perhaps that's why they changed the title.

"Western River Line" is new, the fictional Riverboat operator is otherwise identified as "Thunder Mesa River Packet & Steam Navigation Co." It's long, but I think with the right graphic treatment it could have looked good, too. I guess they wanted both the colors and the nomenclature to communicate more clearly.

Anyway, it took me a while to figure out, but the new title might just be a nod to the old "Western River Expedition" (where the name Thunder Mesa comes from, after all), which might explain why they settled for such a rather obvious name.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

pussinboots

Thanks for weighing in.

I'm not sure the new subtitle does any relevant communicating, although that may have been their objective of course. To the average guest it doesn't matter whether it says "Queen of the River" or "cup of tea" in Chinese. This is not an important sign reading "EXIT ONLY" or "YOU MUST BE THIS TALL," no, this is the sort of typography where nothing needs to be communicated except a theme. Which is why Imagineering usually jumps at the chance to include all kinds of obscure and esoteric references. How many guests read, let alone "get" the reference to Dapper Dan? Or half the framed art in Big Thunder Mountain's queue?

I don't really mind the new colors, though. It's a bit warmer with the maroon and the yellow. Not as if it's bright turquoise.

Josh

Why did they use the word "line", though? It sounds like something from a semantic field of trains. I'm not complaing; just curious.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Meph"Why did they use the word "line", though? It sounds like something from a semantic field of trains. I'm not complaing; just curious.

The reason "line" is used is that is what shipping companies were called in America in the 19th Century. In fact we still talk of cruise lines now - P&O, Cunard, DCL (Disney Cruise Line), Royal Caribbean, NCL (the L stands for line) etc. The companies were called Lines and the ships, Liners.

On to the decor, I am glad she has been refurbed, but I do not like the paint job. It looks cheap and not as authentic of real side wheelers, also it looses the Gold leaf effect on the wheel. It was probably chosen as it needs less tlc than white, but I do not like it as it looks fake. I am obsessive about this stuff though as I was born and grew up in the "West".
since 2001 (many before that)

Josh

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"The reason "line" is used is that is what shipping companies were called in America in the 19th Century. In fact we still talk of cruise lines now - P&O, Cunard, DCL (Disney Cruise Line), Royal Caribbean, NCL (the L stands for line) etc. The companies were called Lines and the ships, Liners.
Oh, of course. Thanks. :)
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Columbiad

DLRPToday tweeted a picture from onboard the Molly Brown today: