just got home from disneyland hong kong

Started by maji, October 04, 2007, 04:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maji

got home about 2 hours ago from hong kong. the park was small but fantastic, the parade route was packed every day (honestly) , the staff were wonderful, the hotels were beautiful, the weather unbelievable, the prices were low  .... i want to go back -nowwwww. but guess what, i didnt get that stomach churning, tears in my eyes feeling that i get everytime i walk into dlrp. dont knock disneyland hong kong because it truely is a magical place for a holiday, but disneyland paris will always be "home" for me. i will post some details about my trip when i wake up !

The Butlin Boy

Glad to hear you had a good time.

It's so good to hear something positive about HKDL, especially during this tough financial period it's going through :)

RnRCj

I've just read a topic about the low attendance at HKDL and I read this and you say it was packed :P

Glad you had a good time! :D Did you take any pictures?

maji

took loads of pictures and camcording, will try to post some. the picture in the forum of 5 people on main street at parade time was taken the day after a huge typhoon hit the area. halloween celebrations started the day before we arrived and the labour day holiday and mainland china golden week holidays were also on , plus the australian school holidays - hence some horrendous queues.

GeoffD

Quote from: "RnRCj"I've just read a topic about the low attendance at HKDL and I read this and you say it was packed :P

Glad you had a good time! :D Did you take any pictures?

Lower attendance yes, but in a smaller space. It would generally feel packed.

maji

no, it didnt feel packed because it was a smaller space, it was definately packed ! we arrived after a very long journey and checked into the hollywood hotel. it is similar on the outside to the new york, but much nicer inside. our room was on the 8th floor, overlooking the gorgeous tropical gardens and the piano shaped pool. we had a glorious view over the sea, with kowloon to the right. we didnt go to the park on the first day, and enjoyed a swim, a lovely meal in one of the resteraunts and a wander through the gardens. we watched the fireworks from the front of the hotel, then littleun went to the well organised kids club. after a good sleep and a great breakfast we headed off to the park on the shuttle bus. that day was one of two quiet days in the park. we didnt have to queue very much and the shows were only about three quarters full. the parade route is almost as long as the one in dlrp and we were quite surprised at how busy it was. the parade is really good, with a catchy tune and lots of dancers and the ever- present marching band which seems to pop up at every corner of the park. there was a 50 min wait for the new haunted house so we went back to enjoy the hotel after the parade because we were all wilting in the heat. the next day was similar in temperature and we were glad to do all the shows to get indoors to cool down. the legend of the lion king is excellent, as is the golden mickeys- probably the high light of the park. phillharmagic and stitch the encounter are great fun and the haunted house was a strange mixture of phantom manor with no ride and tower of terror with no tower but plenty of terror ! on friday things started to change. there is a long wide avenue leading to the park and it was full by the time we arrived at about quarter to ten. crowds were coming out of the disneys own railway station (they have the most unbelievable themed shuttle trains which take you to the main metro lines.) and the security lines were horrendous. we eventually got through the turn stiles to find long queues in main street at the character meet and greet spots. queue lines are well organised and there is a special enchanted garden where the characters can be photographed. queue jumping is an art, with two or three family members waiting then another twenty pushing through to join them. the staff are very vigilent though and usually send them packing ! all in all the cast members are very friendly and helpful, taking a lot of time to fuss over children and give them stickers or sweets. we spent most of that day in lines for rides like orbitron , dumbo and the tea-cups, gave up on the afternoon parade because of the 6 deep crowds then went back for a swim. we came out again for the halloween parade (missable) and the fireworks (wow). we took saturday out to go to kowloon.the history museum there is well worth a visit and the shops were good too. prices are low in the park, but when you go outside you realise that they are very high compared to real life prices. a bottle of juice was 20 hkd in the hotel shop but only 6 at the metro station. we changed hotels when we got back, and settled down for our first night at the disney land hotel. more about that later

The Butlin Boy

Great report, thanks for sharing it :)

Since it's coming to our studios next year, how good would you say that Stitch Encounter was? :wink:

maji

really good fun. stitch "interacted" with four sets of guests, and took photographs of them which showed up on the screen. the best bit was when he "fell in love" with one audience member and decided to call his planet after her. he made a spelling error when typing her name and when he told the computer to delete it , it deleted the planet instead of the letter ! the audience then had to help stitch escape from gantu. even the queue line was good because there were lots of 3-d child size "experiments" to take photographs beside. i definately think that stitch will be a big hit when it opens in dlrp.

MinnieMouse

Nice report :-)

I hope I can visit one time Hong Kong Disneyland. It must be very beautiful there. CanĀ“t wait to see your pictures.

Alexandra

Dlrpfan

Great report and hope you had a fab time :)
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012