Total Film (UK) magazine talks to Lasseter

Started by peep, August 01, 2007, 01:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peep

I didn't know whether to add a new topic or add pieces of info into different topics, I went for the lazy option.

In the new issue of the magazine (released tomorrow, I'm a subscriber, I get it early) there is a page with info on all the big Disney animated releases for next year onwards.

QuoteWALL-E
(Summer 2008)
"Its really exciting -it's the first sci-fi Pixar movie and is a love story between two robots taking place 700 years in the future. We wanted this to be a unique vision of science fiction and we've brought Ben Burtt on board. He's a good friend of ours from LucasFilm and did the sound effects for the Star Wars movies. He's sorting out how the robots sound."

BOLT
(Christmas 2008)
"This was originally called American Dog. It's the story of a dog who's the star of this big action TV show and has grown up his entire life on set. In the show he's got superpowers and he believes it's reality.
He doesn't know any different so when he gets seperated by accident and lost in the real world, he has to learn what it is to be a real dog. It's really good!"

UP
(Summer 2009)
"After that is Up, which is being done by Pete Doctor and Bob Peterson, who did Monsters, Inc. It's really funny. Its a kind of action picture and, dear God, a coming of age story starring an 80-year-old man. It's really clever and rwally unique. And also very funny, but there's tremendous emotion in there, too."

THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG
(Christmas 2009)
"Next is The princess and the frog. It's a hand-drawn animation - we're bringing it back to the studio! I never understood why they decided to stop it. It's as Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo director) says: 2D animation became the scapegoat for bad storytelling. Imagine a live-action studio that's made a bunch of bombs blaming it on the camera! It's never the technology that makes the movie a hit. It's the story"

TOY STORY 3
(Summer 2010)
"I can't tell you about a lot of it, but I'll tell you what I can talk about. Lee Unkrich - who co-directed Toy Story 2 with me - is directing. He was the editor for Toy Story. He co-directed Monsters, Inc., too. Brilliant. And we've got Bob Pauley, the original production designer from Toy Story, who designed Buzz Lightyear and other characters. Tom Hanks and Tim Allen are coming back to do voices. I wouldn't miss it..."

RAPUNZEL
(Christmas 2010)
"It's a way off, but this one's a computer animation. It's directed by Greg Kean, who's been at Disney for a while, along with Dean Wellings who's a really young guy, a new talent."

Well, unfortunatly he doesn't give too much info away on some of the films, mainly backing up what we've found through over sites but meh, I thought I would share this with you. It also says at the bottom of the page that on their site (page still under construction) there will be a new interview with Brad Bird! I'll keep you posted.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Anonymous

Does he say anything about Blu Ray, and Disney's / Pixar's future plans for Blu Ray?

Ben Burtt actually did a lot more than just the sounds for the Star Wars films. He was the sound designer on the originals, but he was involved in much more of the production by the time of the prequels.

Anthony

Thanks for typing that up, peep!

WALL-E and Bolt are sounding good, I can't wait to hear how those robots really speak. The "Waaaahhl-EEe" in the trailer is so cute. :lol:

The thing with Bolt, though - realising he doesn't have super powers? Sounds like Buzz Lightyear to me, and the "getting separated" seems familiar from lots of other Disney films. Oh well, John says it's good. :)

peep

Quote from: "Baloo"I can't wait to hear how those robots really speak. The "Waaaahhl-EEe" in the trailer is so cute. :lol:

Lol, I reckon it will be similar to those robots in Star Tours (like the ones in the queuelines).

Its a shame that he only gives a small piece on each film, the Brad Bird interview sounds like it could be good though, probably about this years flick.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320