The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Started by Anthony, March 12, 2005, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeoffD

i like the billboard, certain to get the message out that it's here. I have noticed the stressing that it's French.

But seriously whats with the logo, Paris in that font looks terrible.

peep

Wow, that big ad looks awesome, it will surely catch the attention of many within the area.

The ads seem to be getting put up at every bus stop now in the London area (outer boroughs too) but I have still only seen one 3D poster. I'm going to have to take a pic for you guys to see, its great, the lift actually takes peeps up then crashes again as you move past it. As promised I have two pics of the life makeover in our local shopping centre....

//http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff227/Peepjc_2007/DSC00674.jpg
//http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff227/Peepjc_2007/DSC00673.jpg
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Remco K.

Quote from: "peep"As promised I have two pics of the life makeover in our local shopping centre....
So the ads actually do say Disneyland Resort Paris... The word 'Resort' is just written in a very small font and both 'Disneyland' and 'Paris' are written in Walt Disney font. Weird... There's an official corporate logo which has a much nicer design and has all words about the same size.

pussinboots

They never quite stop experimenting with that logo, do they? Disneyland has existed for half a century and saw one logo change, which was then reverted. DLRP in its 16 years of existence has a bigger portfolio than your average design agency.

This one is terrible, though. I was okay with the first official DLRP logo, and the slightly more formal version (as seen on the ToT itself on the posted ads) was fine too, and the slightly daring, more modern version for the 15th was pretty tasteful... But this is just bad. The Walt Disney script is a font that should be used sparingly and with care. If not, you end up with the clumsy look of a cafeteria menu.
/anally retentive rant

Yes yes, I know it's probably a one-time thing to emphasize the Frenchness of it all, but it still looks unprofessional.

peep

^Does it really matter if the logo changes? I think the current ones they are using are fine, there is nothing unprofessional about them, you are just being silly. There is also no way you can compare the amount of different DLRP logos to being bigger than the average portfolio of a design agency, have you ever seen one of them? They are huge. You are just exaggerating about something so you can moan about something that is ok.

Maarten

Wow, thats a great advertising! I like the fact that they have decorated 2 real elevators.  :)

Anthony

Quote from: "Maarten"Wow, thats a great advertising! I like the fact that they have decorated 2 real elevators.  :)
Yeah, they've got a great agency working with them on this one! Honestly, when was the last time they did something more than a few TV ads? Even the WDS opening wasn't anywhere near this much.

Quote from: "pussinboots"Yes yes, I know it's probably a one-time thing to emphasize the Frenchness of it all, but it still looks unprofessional.
It does. But in fact, the 'aris' looks fine, quite nice, it's the 'P' looking to similar to the famous D that makes it look like Disneyland Daris.

Just cutting the loop out of the P improves it:

It's on the online banners too:

There are some better (paid-for) online ads floating around than the ones you'll see on the fan websites here, showing a video trailer with sound, cut together with falling scenes and words. Saw one on virginmedia.com so keep a look out...

Riebi

kachauuuu! And Baloo cuts the bows away an voilà: big improvement!

You must appearance to the DLRP advertisers like magus!  :lol:

How small changes could change all :D/
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Anthony

Here's one of the UK TV ads:

http://www.visit4info.com/preview-flash ... adid=58296

The one with the annoying boy isn't featured. They both have the worst dubbing ever thanks to reusing California's (or maybe even Florida's?) ads. I've only seem them on digital channels so far, not the main ones.

Has anyone seen the finished version of that MTV advert? :?

Riebi

No! We in germany got only barbara meier :lol:
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Nicholas-c

i dunno if anyone noticed but last thursday in the back of the daily star (i think) just before sports was a 2 page spread article of ToT opening event ;)

Didn't have time to read it, i was at work and break was over :(
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

peep

Quote from: "Baloo"Has anyone seen the finished version of that MTV advert? :?

I saw some form of ad that I hadn't seen before, unfortunately I only caught it as I was walking into a room so wasn't sure. If it was that, its a good job for someone who didn't have access to film on ride etc but it wasn't exactly the best ad in the World. I feel the TV spots are really letting the campaign down, all the poster ads are fantastic and really grab your attention whereas the TV ones could be for any of the resorts.

pussinboots

Quote from: "Baloo"It does. But in fact, the 'aris' looks fine, quite nice, it's the 'P' looking to similar to the famous D that makes it look like Disneyland Daris.

Just cutting the loop out of the P improves it:

It's on the online banners too:

There are some better (paid-for) online ads floating around than the ones you'll see on the fan websites here, showing a video trailer with sound, cut together with falling scenes and words. Saw one on virginmedia.com so keep a look out...

That is better; I thought it looked like a "D" as well. But I still think the WD script should be reserved for the "Disneyland" bit. I believe DLP was actually the first to use the script for anything more than "Walt Disney", which was in its Euro Disneyland and Disneyland Hotel logos. When you look at those logos, you'll notice how they took the time to customize the "land" bit (the "a" in particular) as opposed to just borrowing those letters from the "Walt" part.

My point is that the rather singular, quirky (Walt) Disney logo is iconic, and the Parisian "Disneyland" logo, while originally somewhat of a bold move, is now a veritable icon for DLRP -- one that has miraculously survived all image and logo changes. It is a graphic design faux pas to just find some hobbyist-made font that resembles it and add things to it, because it makes the iconic lettering lose a lot of strength in the process.

Also, I just don't like it, haha. But of course none of this is relevant if it's just a
one-time advertising gimmick.

Oh and Peep, you are quite right, I was exaggerating to make a point. This is a technique known as hyperbole.

penfold12

Just Awfull!! Thats all I can say. Everything about this attraction has been top class, until this logo.

The recent logo for DLP is full of class, and yet still holds Disney magic and style. This however just looks like some school kid on their pc. Lets just hope its a one off....

pussinboots

The French version of that banner (as seen on Disneytheque.com) uses the Disneyland15 logo (which has "Resort Paris" written underneath in tiny letters). So this "Disneyland Paris" throwback is most likely just a temporary gimmick aimed at the WDW-loving Britons.