Mary Poppins to take her Umbrella and fly from London

Started by Patrick, June 24, 2007, 01:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

Yes you read that right, Mary Poppins is leaving the West End next year, this has come as a shock to me really and I now must definately see it again this summer :lol: .

Quote from: "Mary Poppins Website"AFTER THREE AND A HALF YEARS
PLAYING TO AN AUDIENCE IN EXCESS OF ONE AND A HALF MILLION "MARY POPPINS" WILL CLOSE AT THE PRINCE EDWARD THEATRE ON 12 JANUARY 2008

"MARY POPPINS", which recently celebrated its 1000th performance at the Prince Edward Theatre, will close in London on 12 January 2008 after a run of over three and a half years.

The production, which has been a huge box office and critical success is one of the most lavish musicals in recent years and has already played to a gross box office of over £60 million.

The hit Broadway production opened last autumn, and has been nominated for seven Tony® Awards including BEST MUSICAL and BEST LEADING ACTOR for Gavin Lee who created the role of Bert for the London production. Gavin also won a Drama Desk Award in New York, as did Bob Crowley for Outstanding Design and Costume.

An international tour of "MARY POPPINS" will commence in the U.K next year, with dates to be announced soon.

Scarlett Strallen is currently starring as 'Mary Poppins' in the West End and Gavin Creel as 'Bert'.

source :Mary Poppins Official Website

Anthony

No way...! :shock:

I'm not quite sure how they'll take this on tour - that huuuge moving house, that can't possibly stay, surely?!  But then that's the best part! :lol:

Anonymous

If it's touring the UK that will be great. Some of us simply can't get down to London to see these shows, but I've been to see Beauty and the Beast twice now on tour, and absolutely love it. I'll definitely go see Mary Poppins if it goes on tour.

:lol:

DisneyBud

Heard this news ages ago and it's devastating! lol, seriously, the west end has been in such good shape recently and MP really contributes to this. I think one of people's main reservations about this show is that it is too different from the film (which i thinks makes it brilliant!), but then thats the British public for you - they don't like change.

Anonymous

But it's good that they take these shows on tour so those of us who can't easily afford to go to London and see these shows can enjoy them.

Why should they have everything in London? I applaud such moves.

penfold12

I read that the reason was something to do with where the production was pitched. A lot of "serious" theatre goers commented that while it has very high production values etc, that it was still slightly too family orientated and patomimic.

This is sort of backed up when I read that the show is having trouble filling seats mid week when children are at school. Either way, its a dam sahme, it is just fantastic and any one who hasnt seen it, needs to before it goes.

The touring version will be no where near the same scale I wouldnt think. The house set weights 17 tonnes on its own. I cant see that touring as it is in London!

BTW, it has also been announced that Tarzan is closing on Broardway, but that is closing in two weeks! Now that must be doing badly to close with ounly two weeks notice!

Anthony

Got an email about this today, with the national tour dates:

QuoteAfter three supercalifragilistic years in London's West End, Disney and Cameron Mackintosh's acclaimed production of MARY POPPINS ends its triumphant run in January 2008, prior to embarking on a national tour.

Brilliantly adapted from the novels of P. L. Travers and the Walt Disney film, this spectacular production includes all of the best-loved songs from the film, including 'Chim Chim Cher-ee', 'A Spoonful of Sugar', 'Jolly Holiday' and 'Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious'.

With all remaining London performances now on sale, and tickets now available for the first tour dates in Plymouth, Birmingham and Edinburgh, book now to secure the best available seats!

LONDON
PRINCE EDWARD THEATRE
Until Saturday 12 January 2008

PLYMOUTH
THEATRE ROYAL
4 June – 5 July 2008
Box Office – 01752 267 222

BIRMINGHAM
BIRMINGHAM HIPPODROME
10 July – 27 September 2008
Call 0870 730 1234

EDINBURGH
EDINBURGH PLAYHOUSE
1 October – 6 December 2008
Call 0844 847 1660

MANCHESTER
10 December 2008 – 7 March 2009
Tickets on sale early 2008

CARDIFF
11 March – 18 April 2009
Tickets on sale early 2008

She's in Manchester for three whole months! :shock: I'm still not sure how well the show will translate to a travelling production... there's surely no way they can keep the amazing moving house set?

I'm sure this'll be a huge success though.

PetiteSirene

You may find Baloo that the sets used will vary from theatre to theatre depending on the size of the stage, auditorium, stage access etc...

For example I was working at the Wimbledon theatre when there was the tour of Beauty and the Beast, the wimbledon theatre and the Milton Keynes Theatre were the only two on the tour that got the full set as used in the westend version due to stage size.

They can do amazing things with portable sets and most of the time you find they try to keep it as close as possible...

BTW prince did you know that the Touring version of Beauty and the Beast used completely different costumes to the Westend because the tour wasnt backed by Disney? All the costumes were specially made for the tour to avoid the copyright of the west end costumes :D

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

Snow_White_Girl

I booked tickets yesterday to see Mary Poppins on Friday in Manchester!!! I'm so very excited!  =D>  :D/  :mrgreen: Though I have to keep telling myself it won't be Julie Andrews there on stage lol! Was going to go with my best friend but she pulled out at the last minute, so instead I'm taking my mum! I wasn't really sure which seats to go for, I got offered row R in the stalls, or really far back in the circle (1st level). Went for the stalls seats after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, I just hope we manage to see OK!

\":lamp:\"

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Snow_White_Girl"I booked tickets yesterday to see Mary Poppins on Friday in Manchester!!! I'm so very excited!  =D>  :D/  :mrgreen: Though I have to keep telling myself it won't be Julie Andrews there on stage lol! Was going to go with my best friend but she pulled out at the last minute, so instead I'm taking my mum! I wasn't really sure which seats to go for, I got offered row R in the stalls, or really far back in the circle (1st level). Went for the stalls seats after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, I just hope we manage to see OK!

Have a great time, we went to see it last summer, and I'm sure you'll love it :)

Snow_White_Girl

OMG it was AMAZING!!! I loved it!! The effects were just...wow. Especially Bert tap dancing upside down across the top of the stage, and Mary flying up the bannisters! I'd heard a lot of good things about Lisa O'Hare in the role of Mary, and was so looking forward to seeing her, but when we got there we discovered it was the understudy!... However, we needn't have panicked, Jamie Farr was absolutely PHENOMENAL, what a voice!

I didn't realise how different the musical and the film were, but it didn't matter at all. My mum loved the statues coming to life! I have to say though, the bit with the toys coming to life is very dark and flipping scary in places!

I love the fact that you can get a Mary Poppins umbrella (black with a parrot head handle) from the merchandise stall too! I wanted one but my Mum was like "What the HELL would you do with that?!"

I think I need to go again, it's in Manchester for another month, what a good evening!!

\":lamp:\"

MinniesBestPal

Aww no! Mary Poppins was a fantastic show! I went to see it at Christmas in 2006!

I still have my supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, and thanks to the song, I can spell it now!  :P

Magicalmouse125

I'm so annoyed that i never got to see it. My friend called Harry Stott (some of you may know him) was in the original cast playing Micheal Banks. Unfortunatly when my class were off to see it there were the london bombings. so sad and then not long after that he left so i missed. Luckily he's just got a major part in currently the biggest west end show and i've seen him 4 times. Anyone know which show i'm on about?
[size=150]Long Live MagicForum![/size]

Love From Magical Mouse 125

Elwell2009

Im guessing your talking about oliver as thats the only child actor in the west end i can think off with the name harry lol

Magicalmouse125

Yeah Elwell2009 He is currently playing Oliver. I never did get to see him in Mary Poppins though
[size=150]Long Live MagicForum![/size]

Love From Magical Mouse 125