Awful experience at Silver Spur

Started by onceuponadream, July 04, 2018, 09:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onceuponadream

We arrived yesterday and decided on a whim to book the Silver Spur for the evening, but had such an unlucky experience that I thought I would share for anyone considering going there.

We had a reservation for 8.30, and turned up on the dot then. We were asked to wait to the side with a LOT of other families, which was surprising considering the restaurant itself was pretty empty. We then waited half an hour for them to seat us - which was a little irritating but ok to start with.

Drinks arrived half an hour after that. Our waitress spilled our wine on the tray and spent a while mopping it up over in the corner but did not replace the wine, which was frustrating, so the glass we got was not a full glass. Soon after that we realised we'd never been asked how we wanted our steaks done, so we had to call her over and she admitted she'd forgotten.

When we were finally brought our starters, the wrong ones appeared so we had to send them back. Cue more waiting for our actual starters - no apology. The meal arrived but unlike the table next to us we were given no bread or sauces. At this point tbh we'd slightly given up so we just got on and ate, but given that we'd ordered from the premium menu (no vouchers), again this was below the level we'd expect.

Dessert arrived - I had tea with miniature cakes. I had to ask for more hot water as the amount I'd been given didn't even fill one cup. By this point we were starting to feel extremely disappointed. We've come to expect great service at Disney and this wasn't it.

We then asked for the bill, which appeared immediately - but then made the mistake of asking to pay using our charge card/room pass which we've never had an issue with before. Twenty minutes later, after much faff, my husband suggesting that he should just pay using his normal card and being brushed off - he waitress was refusing to speak to us at this point and had taken our card and was nowhere to be seen - it transpired that she was taking payment and serving other tables. We politely explained that it was 10.50 by that point and we wanted to leave so we could see the light show, at which point she got visibly annoyed with us but still wouldn't speak to us properly. We then called over the waiter who was helping her to explain - no, we still couldn't leave because there was by now a problem with the computer.

Long story short, we then got overcharged (they changed our bill halfway through) which we then had to argue about. We finally got to leave at 11, missing the parade, missing an entire evening at the parks (we ended up spending 2.5 HOURS there) and feeling thoroughly fed up.

We're going to City Hall today to complain and hopefully they'll manage to make it right in some way, but it was pretty upsetting for our first Disney evening, particularly when they got annoyed with us at the end for asking if we could please just pay (again, politely - we are not known to complain!!).
December 2015 - Sequoia Lodge
December 2016 - Sequoia Lodge
July 2018 - Newport Bay Club

msRavenswood

I'm sorry you had such an awful experience! We always book to eat there and have never had any problems, you were really unlucky with the service!

onceuponadream

Yeah - seems like that's the theme of the trip as my husband is now unwell and we think it's food poisoning  :'(

We complained at City Hall about the service and ended up with 4 fastpasses for the next couple of days as a result - just hoping that we might still get to use them at this point.
December 2015 - Sequoia Lodge
December 2016 - Sequoia Lodge
July 2018 - Newport Bay Club

msRavenswood

Sorry to hear that your husband was unwell! I hope he's feeling better today!

Jules Verne

2.5 hours is terrible, you should complain to Disney.

I had a very similar experience in the Ratatouille restaurant. Turned up on time but had to wait near 30 mins even though it was half empty and slow service.

Based on what I've seen I'm assuming that DLP don't hire enough staff to run the restaurants effectively. On my last trip i only just managed to book the Ratatouille restaurant even though every time i went past the place it was always half empty.

ForeverDreaming

Sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience. Did you end up writing a complaint?

We often eat at the Silver Spur and all but one time have had a really good experience. The food was delicious when we ate there a week ago, and we only had a 5 minute wait to be seated for our reservation. The only slight negative was that the creme brulee was cold on arrival which was disappointing.