Mickey’s PhilharMagic in DLP opening in October

Started by MattR, May 18, 2018, 08:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeleeSTAR

Do we know where this will be? Which park (I assume studios) and which building?

DLPme

The Facebook-post specifically says "Disneyland Park". According to ED92 we're talking Discoveryland Theatre (https://twitter.com/ED92live/status/997540530467860482), but oh my would this be cool to see in Fantasyland!

I must say I'm impressed with how good Disney is getting at keeping their secrets until they announce things nowadays!

norhel

I think this is very good news.
I've seen it in WDW, and it's one of my favorites.
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

Zee79

It's been announced as Discoveryland theatre so round the back and in that area Pizza planet is being replaced by an event tent.

Rocketeer

Excellent news. Although I've never seen the show... I hear good things about it though.

Discoveryland seems an odd choice however.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

irishbhoy1888

Quote from: LeeleeSTAR on May 18, 2018, 11:47:49 PM
Do we know where this will be? Which park (I assume studios) and which building?
This attraction will be located in the old Captain Eo  theatre in discoverland, magic kingdom.

YenSidBot

Happy that I booked a trip for the end of seprember/October . Looking forward to experiencing a new show for Disneyland Paris :)
Next Trip 28 Sep - 5 October 18 :) :)

Rocketeer

OK, using the Cinemagique theatre (no, no the WDS one) makes sense, it already has the seating etc. however it still seems a rather odd fit for Discoveryland.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

samuelvictor

This makes complete sense. Its already exists and won't cost very much to house in the building that was already primed for 3d/4d films.

I saw the show for the first time in Magic Kingdom (Florida) in January. Its pretty good - good range of songs and characters, and impressive 3D, its a fun Disney singalong. Sorry MJ fans, but its a definite improvement over Captain EO (or nothing at all, as is now!). Can't say as I noticed the "4d" elements very much, but I liked the show. At 12mins or so it was a decent length and a fun time.

It would be easy to cheap out and just show this as a 3d movie only. I really hope they do it properly and add the proper theming to the outside and inside of the building - including the animatronic Donald and smoke effects at the end of the show.  ;D

dwonder

Disney Official PR site states that the attraction will be open on Oct. 1st, in time with Mickey's 90th bday celebration
https://news.disneylandparis.com/en/2018/05/24/celebrating-90-years-of-fun-with-mickey-at-disneyland-paris/

Glad I'll be able to experience one of my favorite attractions from the MK. I was about to postpone my planned vacation in Oct due to Ratatouille/Phantom Manor being closed, but this piece of good news made me change my mind  :)

dwonder

Interesting though is how they describe the show as being "3D" and not "4D". Maybe they will skip the water and smell effects? I hope not!

Remco K.

It would've been awesome if they created a new movie for this attraction, featuring a more science fiction style story. That would fit Discoveryland much better.

Budget wise that wouldn't make sense of course, as PhilharMagic at DLP is clearly a quick fix.

Rocketeer

MattR

As expected the worst adaption of the show worldwide. They stripped it down to a 4d movie.

I don´t want to go into detail here to spoiler the show but everything except the movie itself is more or less missing. The pre-showroom has nearly no decoration and none of the PhilarMagic deco. The movie was adopted to the existing screen while a big part of the fascination for me comes from the super super super widescreen format. Of course the animatronic is also missing.

I guess it is better than nothing, now the theater is used again and not everyone has the option to go to oversea parks but for me it was a big disappointment.