2019: School Holiday time best option? Easter, May half term or late Aug.

Started by Poohbearfan, April 04, 2018, 04:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poohbearfan

Hi, we are looking at options for next year whilst the 4 nights for 2 and under 7s free UK offer is on. Similar prices for Weds/Thurs arrivals. Which would be best bet weather and crowds wise?
Last week of Easter holidays - very late next year, not back until 30 April.
May half term
Tail end of August 28th/29th?

I am leaning towards August. Any suggestions? Are we best avoiding Sat/Sun?
Thanks

Poohbearfan

To answer my own question May half term 2019 is ruled out because it is Ascension Day 2019  Thursday, 30 May

littlebitofpixiedust

I can only give a limited response as I've never been in august but have heard that the end of August is quieter than the rest.

We recently went out of uk school holidays but failed to realise hat some parts of France were on their easter break, it was madness and in hindesight we should have just gone in our school holidays. For example we see Big thunder mountain ques of 2 hours + 40 minutes on the Saturday. It was extremely busy so busy it was unbearable on the weekend.

I also went in the  Christmas holidays over a weekend traveling back Christmas Eve and it wasn't as bad as our recent march visit. We've also been in February half term which was also busy but again not compared to mid march.

My advice to you is go for it but go prepared and don't best yourself up if you miss a few things just prioritise what shows/attractions you wish to do first and whatever else is a bonus. August you have the benefit of longer days so you could go and rest at your hotel in the afternoon and go back to the parks in the evening when it's quieter.

Poohbearfan

Thank you. Good points. I have been looking on the app how busy it is this second/third week of Easter holidays.
We went end of June to years ago and over the weekend was pretty busy. Thunder Mountain was out of action. Last year was before May half term and was manageable mid week.

Dolph7800

Quote from: Poohbearfan on April 04, 2018, 07:01:46 PM
To answer my own question May half term 2019 is ruled out because it is Ascension Day 2019  Thursday, 30 May

Does this make a difference? From what I can see, there doesn't seem to be any holidays clashing with the UK May holiday next year so was considering that one. At least, I'll be looking at the app this time around to see what the wait times are like as a guide.

Poohbearfan

Ascension Day is usually very busy and Friday and weekend after.

Mrsya

We've been in both and may is always quieter. Ascension weekend will be busy though.

Dolph7800

Having seen this photo from ED92 the day after Ascension Day, it's safe to assume I'll be giving that week a swerve!