"free" upgrade?????

Started by Dani_D, February 26, 2018, 12:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dani_D

My trip to DLP is coming up in a few weeks. I received a call from them, asking if I wanted a free hotel upgrade. We were originally staying at Newport and they offered Disneyland Hotel. She specifically said "at no charge to you".
I checked my reservation today and it now says I have a balance! (I paid in full when I made the reservation in October).
Has this happened to anyone else? Should I wait it out and see if it disappears?
I really don't want to call, I do have to pay international phone charges.
Thanks!

bad-pink-tink

the same thing happened to me for my February 2016 trip. I had originally booked Hotel New York and had paid in full. 3 weeks before my trip I got a call from Disney and I was upgraded to a standard room in Disneyland Hotel.

Everything was legit. I got a new confirmation email and when I logged into My Disney Account my itinerary had changed and now showed Disneyland Hotel.

At the time I went, there was huge construction work going on. Disneyland Train in particular was closed for refurb and Main Street train station was covered in hoarding. You could not see The Castle from the restaurants.

At the time it looked to me that that Disneyland Hotel occupancy was way down due to the construction and impeded views from the restaurants and Castle Club suites. I was a solo traveller so moving me (1 person ) to Disneyland Hotel freed up a room in Hotel New York. Im sure people in Sequoia Lodge were then moved to my free room in Hotel New York, which in turn would free up rooms in the lower priced hotels.

Just go and enjoy it, I know I made the most of my free upgrade, as most likely I wont be able to afford to stay there again.

When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

bad-pink-tink

oops double post
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

Dani_D

Thanks!
I'm still waiting on the email confirmation. I'm hoping they sort out the price before then.

So, even after they upgraded you, it showed you had paid in full?

That is what worries me, on the website it shows the amount I paid in October (when I paid in full for Newport) and an additional charge/balance ($900!) which is the cost difference between the Newport and Disneyland hotel  :-\

ND31

We had a similar situation recently when we upgraded from a standard room to a suite.  It looked like we'd lost our discount because they have to log things a certain way in order to reserve the new room and they then get the invoice department to sort out the finer points.  We were warned in advance that this could happen and could take 72 hours to be finalized so I was just a bit anxious.  It was all sorted in a couple of days and the price was fine on the final invoice.  I'm sure it will be ok but if it's been more than 72 hours I would ring them for peace of mind.

Dani_D

That makes total sense!
I just spoke to them this morning, haha so I am definitely jumping the gun.
I'll give it 72 hours before I start making phone calls.

Thank you!  :)

ND31

I feel for you, even though I had been warned I still felt a bit sick until I had the correct paperwork.  At first they'd just loaded the suite onto the booking and my Eurostar tickets, discount and free half board had vanished.  It was so unsettling even knowing the process.  I'm not like that with other things but anything that threatens the smooth planning of a Disney trip seems to turn me into a crazy lady.

A&S&O

Quote from: Dani_D on February 26, 2018, 12:28:21 PM
My trip to DLP is coming up in a few weeks. I received a call from them, asking if I wanted a free hotel upgrade. We were originally staying at Newport and they offered Disneyland Hotel. She specifically said "at no charge to you".
I checked my reservation today and it now says I have a balance! (I paid in full when I made the reservation in October).
Has this happened to anyone else? Should I wait it out and see if it disappears?
I really don't want to call, I do have to pay international phone charges.
Thanks!
Maybe there is a conference at NPB and they need extra rooms?

Congratulations if all goes well!
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

Pete's Dragon

So jealous, I've never been offered an upgrade for Anything and lord knows I've tried. Kept dropping hint and casually mentioning it was my honeymoon when we stayed at DLH, the most I got was a half-hearted 'aww thats nice but no' kind of smile.