DLRP vs. WDW - What are the differences?

Started by skalos, May 26, 2007, 12:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skalos

Hello everybody,

I m visiting Paris in 16 days with a friend of mine... We are mostly in Paris to visit DLRP since we both been to Paris a couple of times...

The thing is that my friend is Greek/American and he has been to WDW a lot of times... So the idea for this trip started from the classic conversation "WDW is the real thing!". I have never been to WDW (I'm hoping one day...) and this is my friends first time to DLRP...

I just want to have my facts correct... So which attractions are only in WDW (I'm talking only for the magic kingdom) and which are slightly different in DLRP?

Anonymous

To be fair, WDW is not the real thing, because Disneyland came first.

x-charlotte-x

Space Mountain is a lot different to the one in WDW, the one at DLRP goes upside down and is much more of a thrill ride.

Thats the only difference i can think of right now, obviously there will be a few rides the same and a few different. One of the big differences between WDW and DLRP is that WDW is a lot bigger park wise, DLRP only has Disneyland and the Studios.  :)

1997 - Santa Fe
2006 - Cheyenne
2009 - New York

coruscantpt

Well there are some rides specific for each park, and other that exist on both but are better in one or the other.

First, Magic Kingdom has more rides than DLRP. But those that exist in both park usually are better in Paris, like POTC or It's a Small World.
Haunted mansion is the name given to Phantom Manor in WDW and once again it's better the Paris version. Space Mountain as said before is completely different in Paris and in my opinion better with loops and inversions.

As for unice rides, MK has Mickey's Philharmagic which is a great 3D ride that doesn't exist in Paris. Also it has Splash mountain, mickey's toontown fair, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

As for DLRP it has Alice's Curious Labyrinth,the Indiana Jones coaster.

There are also some rides that appear in Disneyland Park that exists in WDW but not in the Magic Kingdom,like Star Tours.
DLP - July 1994 / March 2002 / August 2007 / December 2010 / 2011 - Anual Passholder \":P\"

WDW - May 2006 / May 2008 / August 2009

Anthony

skalos, this topic might be useful for you.

The attractions at Magic Kingdom you won't find in Disneyland Park Paris are:

- Splash Mountain
- Jungle Cruise
- The Hall of Presidents
- Tom Sawyer Island
- Stitch's Great Escape
- Mickey's PhilharMagic
- Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
- Country Bear Jamboree
- The Enchanted Tiki Room
- Magic Carpets of Aladdin (Paris' is at the Studios)
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- The entire Mickey's Toon Town Fair

At DLP but not at MK are:

- Alice's Curious Labyrinth
- Casey Jr
- Storybookland Canal Boats
- Star Tours (WDW's is at the Studios)
- Honey I Shrunk the Audience (WDW's is at Epcot)
- Phantom Manor (quite different version of Haunted Mansion)
- Parts of Frontierland
- Adventure Isle & Bazaar
- Indy
- Pinocchio
- Main Street Arcades

I think I got em all...

Dlrpfan

yup thats them all, WDW is obviosally more expensive (flights etc) But tickets are realy quite good value for money as you have like 4 theme parks 2 water parks and most people take 2 weeks to go there and that is plenty of time
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

Lordofthemightybeasts

DLP also has a special surprise underneath the castle which you should really check out. And a wonderful (well, I think it is) '20,000 Leagues Under The Sea' walkthrough in Discoveryland.
Oh, and Big Thunder Mountain is also a much wilder ride than the Magic Kingdom one.

GeoffD

Also DLRP seems much more detailed to WDW's MK.
(below not related to Disneyland Park, but to the resort)
Also the day you go (10th if i done my maths right) is the day after 2 new attractions open at the studios.

On the 9th June Crush coaster and Cars Race rally opens

RnRCj

DLRP feels more magical :lol: I also think most of the rides at DLRP are better quality than the WDW ones.

cdami

Disneyland in California was the first original park, the one Walt built!  I have been to Disneyland in CA and WDW in FL, you can't compare the parks! Walt built CA as a place to take his children on the weekend to have something to do.  WDW was supposed to be a City of tomorrow, but when Walt died and Roy took over he decided that it would be better to create another Magic Kingdom, and over the years the company has added the other parks and more attractions.  They are, I'm hoping all unique in their own ways.  Which is the reason I would some day love to have visited all 5 parks around the world!!  So if you ever have an opportunity go to all the parks no matter where they are!  I still love WDW and could go back there several times a year, but the budget won't allow that.  I would love to go back to DL Calif again, it was wonderful!  We head to DL Paris in July and I can't wait, it will be 2 Disney parks in a span of 3 months!!
Cindy
DL in Calif 2004 for the 50th celebration at GCH
4 trips to WDW, Contemp, AS Sports, Poly, Beach Club
Adventures by Disney Cities of Nights & Lights and 4 days at DLRP  in July 2007

Anonymous

The more I hear about WDW the more I think it would probably be a big disappointment to me after DLRP.

x-charlotte-x

I'v been to WDW and DLRP, i went to DLRP first but i was very young and don't remember much of it so iv grown up going to WDW and im not really keen on the main park MK, the rides are a bit of a dissapointment (except for Splash Mountain  :P ) but i love all the other parks and also there are the Universal parks to visit which are amazing Islands of Adventure is by far my favourite park, even better than Disney!  :D

So, i have to say that from my personal experience that i prefare DLRP's Disneyland to WDW's Magic Kingdom, but what the MK lacks makes up for it in its other parks.

1997 - Santa Fe
2006 - Cheyenne
2009 - New York

Hilary

Walt Disney World was like the holy grail for me (OK, so growing up I didn't really differentiate between WDW and DL).  Finally went there in 2004 after several visits to DLRP.

Now obviously there's more to do at WDW but you know what? Even though I had an amazing time I still found myself missing my "little" park in France - the theming is so wonderful, the castle is the most beautiful and where the rides were the "same" I preferred the ones in France - not that you can compare the Space Mountains at all of course.

Dark_Prince, I don't think you'd find it a disappointment - there's so much to do afterall - but at the same time I don't think it would spoil DLRP for you, which is probably the most important thing!

If anyone's interested, I did a trip report at the time for another website which I've now copied over to my livejournal. I make a few comparisons between the parks so if you're feeling really bored one day, feel free to have a read (as you can tell from the links, it's in three parts and is pretty long!)

//http://fray101.livejournal.com/27769.html
//http://fray101.livejournal.com/28114.html
//http://fray101.livejournal.com/28372.html

Anonymous

See for me, my main reason for visiting DLRP is the Disneyland Park. I absolutely love Disneyland, and I spend most of my time in there. WDS gives a bit of a distraction when you need it, but I always spend the best part of everyday in Disneyland.

From what I've heard, the theming isn't as good in WDW, and aside from the attraction of perhaps, Animal Kingdom and Epcot, I don't think I'd be that bothered with WDW.

I don't particularly like flying, and I like the fact that I can make my own way to DLRP at my own pace by driving and ferry.

All of the attractions I really want are at DLRP, and the price suits me much more, so I'm quite happy really with the park we've got. What does always annoy me is the view many have that it isn't the proper Disney. Well if you're going to be technical, neither is WDW - it's not the original. DLRP is just as much a proper Disney park as any of the others, and I'm sure they all have their advantages and disadvantages, and perhaps people should concentrate more on which Disney park suits themselves, rather than trying to knock different ones down.

pjulie75

WDW is amazing.  It is much bigger that DLRP, the added bonus of Animal Kingdom, Epcot, Downtown Disney, Pleasure Island and the Studios is bigger and better.  Everything Disney, so I feel you can have a longer break in America and do the Disney bit too which is fantastic.  We have been to Paris for the last couple of years and haven't seen fireworks, I saw them everynight in WDW.  It is great to see fireworks and is amazing to see the sky full of colours over the Cinderellas Castle.  I feel the fireworks is a Disney Experience which nobody should miss out in.  America is really a hotter, more expensive, busy holiday compared to Paris which is relaxed, less busy and not too unbearable hot to walk about in.  Both have pros and cons.  Saying that I am off to WDW next year - yipee!!