D23 announcements

Started by Rocketeer, July 16, 2017, 08:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketeer

Details in brief from D23's Parks and Resorts presentation.

For WDW

• Tron being added to the Magic Kingdom, not replacing the Speedway
  • Guardians of the Galaxy replacing the Universe of Energy, but the original building remains.
  • Ratatouille: L'Adventure to be added to the French Pavillion.
  • A new space themed restuarant to be added to Future World.
  • Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway to replace The Great Movie Ride
  • A new live entertainment theatre to be added to Main St. USA.
  • A Star Wars Hotel
  • A new DVC resort, Disney Riveria Resort
  • An Uber-style service called 'Minnie Vans'.
  • Disney Skyliner - a gondola service between the Studios, Epcot and Pop Century and Caribbean Beach

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

macca1476

lol yeah looks excellent going forward for WDW, all Paris got was a couple of framed Ironman suits in one of the hotels..

I just hope that is not it for Park improvements in the next couple of years and they choose to announce plans in France rather than in a Disney Expo in America.

DisneyRon

Well, hotel New York really needs that refurbishment, giving it a marvel make-over isn't the worst thing.

A few new rides would have been nice, but we'll see what the future holds.

macca1476

I think all the hotels needed it and they have worked through some with some more to come.

But all of the announcements are of things coming in the future, if D23 is the only place these things are announced it likely means we are 5 years from seeing a new attraction. A themed refurbishment to a hotel isn't really what i hoped for.

Even more firm news of the marvel show replacing cinemagique would have been welcome. I'm kind of hoping that big announcements, such as a reworking of Studios, for Paris are kept for events in France rather than D23 in the US.

Rocketeer

I think Paris could just be out of sequence for the D23 expo. They might have to do any announcements separately. The Asian resorts didn't get anything in the show either.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

macca1476

It's a good point, i was far to grumpy to notice that :)

Rocketeer

They've announced the next Expo will be in Tokyo in February '18 ... I can't see them announcing anything Paris wise there.

If only they could announce one for the resort. It doesn't have to be an overly huge affair, we'd be happy with just one of the convention centre rooms. ;)

And, am I the only one who'd like to see a 'Voices of the Parks' panel? It'd be interesting to hear how they go about creating the audio for all those langauges.

macca1476

Would hope that you are right and that Disney would announce things independently of D23 and make a big deal of announcements in the Park itself.

Disney have lost 4m visitors to Disneyland Park in the last 5 years, do you think that the powers that be recognize that not adding anything new to the Park has a lot to do with that?

I think Buzz is the last brand new attraction that has been added to the main park and that was over a decade ago. Reworking Pirates, Star Tours and Space Mountain is good. Getting the rides up to the level they should be anyway is also good and all of it is costly.

Love the other things they have added such as Electroland, Season of the Force and Disney Run. It is starting to be quite close to the other Parks for things like this.

Nioli

I think I'm actually most excited about the Mickey and Minnie ride. The presentation at D23 made it sound amazing! I definitely hope that makes it to Paris at some point. It'd be perfect for the Studios here too!

Rocketeer

^Nice idea. So long as that means it has to be in a theatre (Carthay Circle) at the end of a Hollywood Blvd. :)

macca1476, I believe you are right. Buzz was the last addition, so Parc Disneyland is way over due. The fact that they have been loosing visitors will not have gone unnoticed, neither by EuroDisney or TWDC. And the latter certainly knows what needs to be done.

Now that there's no shareholders meetings, I wonder just how they would do such big announcements? A D23 Expo isn't happening. It's almost like they think that there are no D23 members in europe. We are constantly overlooked, and pay a premium to be members.

Here's hoping that they, at the very least, do some sort of invited guest presentation (that includes the various DLP fan 'press'). You know that 99% of anything would be warmly receieved.