Disney’s Hotel New York - The Art of Marvel

Started by ChipandDale99, June 20, 2017, 10:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChipandDale99

Just saw this on ED92. Thought I might as well put it on. Very excited as I love the hotel but it does need a make over

[attachment deleted by admin]

Zee79

Agree, 365 days a year, been open for 25years & times change. One thing I don't want is a name change! I also saw this on ED92.  Wish Disney would leave things alone, especially when they trying to bring Marvel into everything!

CentralPlazaPerson

Well there you have it just announced at D23, our cool, stylish Hotel New York is the latest classic piece of DLP to fall to the hands of Marvel/Star Wars. Space Mountain, Videopolis, rumoured Cinemagic theatre and now one of our classic Hotels. What next?

mrpiggywinkles52

I can't abide by anyone moaning about this.

It DESPERATELY needs a refurbishment. We all want this resort to continue existing don't we? Well we need to make it popular then.

People whinge about Marvel and Star Wars overtaking everything...boo hoo. Maybe because I'm 17 years old so I'm more willing to accept change but to me Star Wars always seemed kinda Disney even before it was. The quality of stories, feel of the universe and just the overall thing just seemed like it fitted Disney like a glove.

Marvel may not be what you consider Disney but they have created a CLASSIC with it. I reckon the MCU will go on for years and years to come but assuming it stopped after this phase they have created movies that will go on for generations, young boys now are watching ironman, Avengers etc. just as people watched Toy Story, Snow White etc. all growing up themselves. Guardians of the Galaxy, The Avengers, Spider-Man Homecoming, Captain America TWS and Civil war etc. Movies that will outlive any of us.

Marvel and Star Wars ARE MASSIVELY POPULAR. The resort NEEDS guests because TWDC isn't going to stick with it forever if it doesn't make cash. Now whilst I believe the money could've been better set aside to put Marvel into the Studios TWDC has a plan in place and this is obviously one of the first phases of it, Accept that this change is coming and even if you are vehemently again Marvel in all forms its merely one hotel.

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: CentralPlazaPerson on July 16, 2017, 01:49:02 AM
Well there you have it just announced at D23, our cool, stylish Hotel New York is the latest classic piece of DLP to fall to the hands of Marvel/Star Wars. Space Mountain, Videopolis, rumoured Cinemagic theatre and now one of our classic Hotels. What next?

Space Mountain is permenant? I don't think it is. The new trains certainly don't seem Star Warsy. I reckon its temporary until we get funds for a proper Star Wars land or Star Wars expansion to Discoveryland. Videopolis might or might not be permenant but I mean wouldn't you rather have Star Wars shows there than nothing? I know I would.

As for Cinemagic again there is a plan for TWDC. That plan will most likely involve turning that entire half of the Studios into Marvel. I agree with this plan because it'll bring in guests, make money and I actually quite like Marvel myself and believe that the classics they've created deserve a spot in the Disney Parks. Cinemagic is quite possibly in the way of the future Marvel Land. So it has to go. So does everything else on that side of the park.

petals

Well nothing anyone says will change Disney's plans but I'm not a fan of Marvel. Don't like the look of the concept photos so it will not be a hotel choice for me in the future

Rocketeer

Hmm this was a bit of a surprise.

A refurb? Great. A IP based retheme? notsomuch.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

claire2281

I think it's VERY needed. I've stayed in the New York once and honestly it didn't leave any impression on me. It wasn't bad just...meh. Of the on resort hotels it's my second last choice just ahead of Santa Fe. This re-theme definitely makes me interested in staying there again.

Also I think it's smart business wise - having one of the top priced hotels being more traditionally 'boy focused' gives a good alternative to the very princess like Disneyland Hotel. The concept art looks really sharp and whilst I'd not want to see Marvel stuff in the main park I think having it in the hotels and Studios is key to the financial future of the whole resort.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

CentralPlazaPerson

Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on July 16, 2017, 02:17:41 AM
I can't abide by anyone moaning about this.

It DESPERATELY needs a refurbishment. We all want this resort to continue existing don't we? Well we need to make it popular then.

People whinge about Marvel and Star Wars overtaking everything...boo hoo. Maybe because I'm 17 years old so I'm more willing to accept change but to me Star Wars always seemed kinda Disney even before it was. The quality of stories, feel of the universe and just the overall thing just seemed like it fitted Disney like a glove.

Marvel may not be what you consider Disney but they have created a CLASSIC with it. I reckon the MCU will go on for years and years to come but assuming it stopped after this phase they have created movies that will go on for generations, young boys now are watching ironman, Avengers etc. just as people watched Toy Story, Snow White etc. all growing up themselves. Guardians of the Galaxy, The Avengers, Spider-Man Homecoming, Captain America TWS and Civil war etc. Movies that will outlive any of us.

Marvel and Star Wars ARE MASSIVELY POPULAR. The resort NEEDS guests because TWDC isn't going to stick with it forever if it doesn't make cash. Now whilst I believe the money could've been better set aside to put Marvel into the Studios TWDC has a plan in place and this is obviously one of the first phases of it, Accept that this change is coming and even if you are vehemently again Marvel in all forms its merely one hotel.

When you've been visiting the parks for the past 20 years and you stay at HNY almost every time then I think I'm allowed to "moan" and "whinge" thank you very much. I'm allowed to have an opinion against the Marvel/Star Wars input to the Disney parks especially when my favourite attractions make way for them. I'm sure I'm not the only person who now who will pass on staying at HNY because of this and it's a shame.

DisneyRon

The refurbishment is most welcome, the retheme to fill it with Marvel themed art is an interesting choice, but since Disney has committed to the Marvel Universe long term, it does make a kind of sense.

It is bound to turn some people away, though as it's art themed, rather than hero themed, it may not be as bad as we're thinking it will be. It will also attract others, Marvel fans and such, so the hotel will still do well.

Losing the 1920s style glamour is certainly a shame, but this is more in-line with Disney as it is today.
Especially if you consider that many of the "golden age of film and theatre" icons are going away at Disney parks across the globe (see the Tower of Terror retheme, the Great Movie Ride closure and such as examples).

NeverNotFun

Surprised by this Hotel New York Marvel retheme, but looking forward to it. The only thing worth keeping of the current HNY is the smell of the lobby.  ;D

Rocketeer

I think we can all be in agreement that the 'new' name is dreadful. Even being mindful of the language situation "Hotel New York The Art of Marvel" sounds like a rather clumsy addition to an exisiting structure.

I suppose it does allow them to revert back to HNY if they ever wanted to (doubt it).

Makes you wonder what else we could end up with....
"Humphrey Bear's Sequoia Lodge"
"Sheriff Woody's Hotel Cheyenne"
"Avast! Newport Bay Club with added Pirates"
Hotel Santa Fe.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

YenSidBot

large group of the disneyland paris community are negative . So glad that there are also many optimistic happy dreamers out there . Disneyland is for EVERY ONE ;) . Not just you and your likes and dislikes.
Next Trip 28 Sep - 5 October 18 :) :)

petals

Quote from: Rocketeer on July 17, 2017, 08:35:07 PM
I think we can all be in agreement that the 'new' name is dreadful. Even being mindful of the language situation "Hotel New York The Art of Marvel" sounds like a rather clumsy addition to an exisiting structure.

I suppose it does allow them to revert back to HNY if they ever wanted to (doubt it).

Makes you wonder what else we could end up with....
"Humphrey Bear's Sequoia Lodge"
"Sheriff Woody's Hotel Cheyenne"
"Avast! Newport Bay Club with added Pirates"
Hotel Santa Fe.

You forgot Lightening McQueen's Hotel Santa Fe  ;D

tigger1974

Quote from: CentralPlazaPerson on July 16, 2017, 11:16:52 AM
I'm sure I'm not the only person who now who will pass on staying at HNY because of this and it's a shame.

I could not agree more. I certainly wouldn't stay there now. What a shame. I totally agree that a refurbishment is needed but why this?

TTFN
'05 Santa Fe
'07 Newport Bay
'08 Santa Fe
'09 Disneyland Hotel
'10 Santa Fe
'12 Sequoia Lodge
'13 Santa Fe
'14 New York
'15 Sequoia Lodge
'17 Sequoia Lodge (Golden Forest)
'19 Santa Fe