Santa Fe or Cheyenne?

Started by 2bigkids2weekids, June 06, 2017, 11:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2bigkids2weekids

Hi, we've booked to stay in Santa Fe for 5 days/4 nights in December 2017 - me and my husband, 4 year old daughter and two year old son. We stayed in Hotel New York last year and loved it but as we were only in the room to sleep, we thought we'd save some money and try Santa Fe this time. I had read a lot of reviews which  said the Santa Fe has two double beds in the room, whereas Cheyenne has bunk beds (our wee boy would be a dangerous liability in a room with bunk beds!). Also we looked at maps and thought Santa Fe was still a reasonable walking distance to the parks and village, we like to walk rather than rely on shuttle buses. Theme wise we are not bothered, for the little time we spend in the hotel the kids will love whatever they see. Someone recently suggested upgrading to the Cheyenne as it is closer walking distance and has been refurbished, I'm pondering and hoping some of you experienced people can give me some advice, opinions and guidance. Thanking you all in advance
Hotel New York - December 2016
Booked for Santa Fe - December 2017

polar vixen

I much prefer the Cheyenne. Then ring is fantastic. Much more interesting to look at

andya

They Cheyenne and Santa Fe are pretty much the same distance. I think Santa Fe may be a couple of minutes walk further.

We stayed at the Cheyenne last year in an old room and we're back this August in a reformed room as we loved it. Like yourself we only really use it for sleep and walk rather than use the shuttle. With our 3 and 4 year old last year it's only a 10 min walk and we really enjoyed it each morning.

Whichever you choose you'll love it I'm sure.

Zee79

The Santa Fe is a walk over a small bridge from the Cheyenne. The Cheyenne is not having bunk beds anymore but a pull out bed. Theming is better at the Cheyenne but I like both just the same. We always walk from there in all weathers.

CitrusZing

I can't comment on family rooms at Santa Fe as when I have stayed there, it's been in a room with just a double bed.

The Santa Fe has had a refurb in the last couple of years and it has a Cars theme. 
I stayed there in January and enjoyed it. Make sure you look for the giant cactus, UFO and the volcano in the grounds.

I last stayed at the Cheyenne in 2014 but I am there next week. Theming wise, I prefer the Cheyenne (my favourite land in Disneyland Park is Frontierland and I'm not a Cars fan) but I would be happy to stay at the Santa Fe.

Distance wise, I would say that the Santa Fe and Cheyenne are around the same distance from the parks - around a 20 minute walk. From the park you would walk past World of Disney (shop), through Disney Village, past Hotel New York and along the river.

Whichever of the two you stay in, I'm sure you will enjoy it. :)
DLP: 1992 Summer (Cheyenne).
2012: May (Santa Fe).
2013: Nov (Kyriad).
2014: Jan (Cheyenne), & Halloween (Kyriad).
2015: Jan - Birthday Trip (Disneyland Hotel) & Sept (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2016: April (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2017: Jan (Santa Fe - 1 night birthday trip), March (Hotel New York - Empire State Club), June (Cheyenne - 1 night trip) & Sept (Santa Fe).
Upcoming:
Sept 2018 (Newport Bay Club - Compass Club).

claire2281

I've been in the Santa Fe but not stayed there - in fact it's the only hotel I haven't stayed at and tbh I don't really want to. I much prefer the theming of the Cheyenne and frankly the walking distance is no further. Imo the Cheyenne looks a lot nicer all round and is just a nicer place to be. I find the Santa Fe a bit tacky and tbh a bit ugly.

As mentioned, the bunk beds in the Cheyenne went with the refurb.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

Disney25

Hi. Just got back last month from Santa Fe and in my opinion it was perfect. Like you say it's only a place to sleep! It does have two double beds in the room and is fresh and very clean.im not sure about the other places but There are no kettles in the rooms if this bothers you then you can ring before you arrive to request one or like me I took my own travel kettle (can't start the day without a coffee in bed!!!) it's also worth knowing that right next door to Santa Fe there is an esso petrol station with a shop so great to buy water, snacks and things a lot cheaper than in and around the park. Hope this helps.

Slimy yet satisfying

Been in both and TBH whilst the theming is better in the Cheyenne I still prefer the Santa Fe two double beds in comparison to a pull out bed. Also felt the laminate flooring made the room cold in the Cheyenne.
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

Ohana

I've stayed in both, and enjoyed both, I would say Cheyenne does it for me just a bit more than SF, however I will say is we stayed in one of the newly refurbished rooms of the Cheyenne in November of last year and found it to be really quite cold in the room, although not sure if that's just because they were brand new and heating hadn't been on? Maybe worth noting though.
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

Pamela

Quote from: Ohana on June 07, 2017, 01:35:19 PM
however I will say is we stayed in one of the newly refurbished rooms of the Cheyenne in November of last year and found it to be really quite cold in the room, although not sure if that's just because they were brand new and heating hadn't been on? Maybe worth noting though.

We stayed at a refurbished room in Cheyenne in November (13-17) and I'm known to ALWAYS be cold and I felt quite comfortable in our room, actually. So not sure if maybe the heating in your room was working properly?

Slimy yet satisfying

MMM not sure as we had one of the refurbished rooms in Feb 1/2 term and found it very cold too
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

Pamela

Maybe I was just too cold from being outside all day and finally feeling a little warmth from staying inside and being too tired to notice, haha.

Ohana

Potentially wasn't working.. I think the wooden floorboards didn't help none, it just seemed colder as well.
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

cooper75

Hi

Have also stayed in both: Cheyenne in 2015 and Santa Fe June 2017. No real difference in walking. You haven't got to cross the bridge if you walk from Santa Fe, it just comes out a little further round from the Cheyenne path. Our room at Fe was quite a way from reception and closer to the parks, which probably took a couple of mins off the walk.

The 2 double beds is a lot better in Fe, but as we stayed at Cheyenne before the refurb I cant comment on the new arrangements. We had the bunks, which my daughter managed to fall out of! We had a problem with our room key at Fe, but these things happen.

We actually spend v little time in either hotel as wanted to enjoy the parks as much as poss (we had 2 and 3 day breaks). But you can defiantly meet characters in Fe from 8:15 am for a couple of hours, and assume the same at Cheyenne.

There is a Starbucks at Fe, and a garage just outside which you can use to stock up on snacks and drinks. To be honest you could probably walk there from Cheyenne too if you really wanted.

La Cantina at Fe was fine for a buffet with kids. Plenty of options (great deserts!) and friendly staff. The chefs who joined in the birthday celebrations really went for it!

Think Cheyenne looks at little nicer, but that's down to the theme.

2bigkids2weekids

Thank you all, I really appreciate the answers and info. We are going to stick with Santa Fe, maybe next year we'll try the Cheyenne (I'm planning on an annual trip!). Thanks again
Hotel New York - December 2016
Booked for Santa Fe - December 2017