Whats happened to the Mark Twain?

Started by fan_tasmic, May 07, 2017, 11:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fan_tasmic

After searching the internet and this forum for more information about the Mark Twain the only thing I could find were pictures of the boat decaying from quite a few years ago, and then a rumour that the Mark Twain would be refurbished in 2015.  Does anyone know whats going on with it or whats happened to the Mark Twain?  Will we be seeing it again in the future or have I missed some news about it?

msRavenswood

No updates on the Mark Twain, unfortunately. There were hopes that it would be refurbished along with the Big Thunder Mountain, but nothing happened. My guess is that it's still rotting under that hanger...

fan_tasmic

Thats such a shame! Its such a beautiful ship and would look great on the river, especially after the refurb!

Rocketeer

Shame to hear that she's just being left to rot. If they really only need one boat, wouldn't it be great if they docked her permanently and either turned her into walkthough exhibit or even a small coffee shop type thing?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

msRavenswood

Quote from: Rocketeer on May 07, 2017, 11:45:54 PM
Shame to hear that she's just being left to rot. If they really only need one boat, wouldn't it be great if they docked her permanently and either turned her into walkthough exhibit or even a small coffee shop type thing?

It seems that only us fans have such great ideas...

claire2281

Quote from: Rocketeer on May 07, 2017, 11:45:54 PM

Money alas I presume. From the last pictures of it (which were several years ago) it was in a right state to the point where it would be dangerous and clearly need significant work. It may no longer be economical to fix it at this time. They probably decided there were more important things to spend money on.

It'd be nice to see it but I imagine it's a long way down the priority list when they already have one boat working.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

fan_tasmic

Yeah I understand and agree with their decision to prioritise other things in the parks, but I do hope that it is on their list as it would be such a shame for it to just be rotting away and never see the light of day again.  But they're right in putting other attractions like Pirates and Phantom Manor first.

Rocketeer

Quote from: claire2281 on May 08, 2017, 08:19:40 AM
Money alas I presume.
Sad but true.

Why does that make me fear that they'll just junk her, and sell parts off to the fans as 'exlcusive souvineers'?

Quote from: msRavenswood on May 08, 2017, 07:55:52 AM
Aww thanks msR. :D

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

msRavenswood

Quote from: Rocketeer on May 08, 2017, 07:16:48 PM
Quote from: claire2281 on May 08, 2017, 08:19:40 AM
Money alas I presume.
Sad but true.

Why does that make me fear that they'll just junk her, and sell parts off to the fans as 'exlcusive souvineers'?

Quote from: msRavenswood on May 08, 2017, 07:55:52 AM
Aww thanks msR. :D

That would be a sacrilege to do!

You're welcome by the way! It seems Imagineering is going the wrong way these days (look at the monstrosity called Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout...)

A&S&O

Quote from: msRavenswood on May 08, 2017, 07:20:30 PM

That would be a sacrilege to do!

You're welcome by the way! It seems Imagineering is going the wrong way these days (look at the monstrosity called Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout...)

I think the Imagineers do the best they can to fulfill the "suits" decisions.

I wonder if they'll ever break ranks and say "We know its rubbish, but we've been told to do it"?
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

Rocketeer

Quote from: msRavenswood on May 08, 2017, 07:20:30 PM
Too true.

I'll defend Breakout by saying that it could be a fine attraction if it had been built from scratch and not repurposed a perfectly fine attraction that didn't need replacing. (rights issues aside).

And, they can still do somethings right recently - just look at the details of Pandoraland. Some top notch stuff there.

But the likes of Mission Breakout do not help their cause - at least in the eyes of the fans.

Quote from: A&S&O on May 09, 2017, 12:47:15 PM
I think the Imagineers do the best they can to fulfill the "suits" decisions.

I wonder if they'll ever break ranks and say "We know its rubbish, but we've been told to do it"?
That is an excellent point. A lot of recent decisions do seem to be more "suit" orientated. And sometimes WDI goes along for the ride. Point in example - Star Wars Land. No doubt that was done to ride the wave from the new films, rather than insistance from Glendale that they need to do it.

As for knocking back ideas, I feel that they probably do it more than we think. What we see could very well be a acceptance of the need to add attractions.

What I'm trying to say is, as questionable as some of these recent additions have been (Guardians), just think there could be an even more lame idea that the gang from Flower Street managed to stop, or at least steer in the right direction.

Now as for the Mark Twain.. I guess it is clearly a money issue. In fact, is there much of a demand for two boats on the Rivers of the Far West?

sunshine1

So its just Molly Brown that is working these days?

fan_tasmic

Quote from: Rocketeer on May 09, 2017, 05:05:48 PM
Now as for the Mark Twain.. I guess it is clearly a money issue. In fact, is there much of a demand for two boats on the Rivers of the Far West?

I'm not sure if theres a demand but I think if they had the ability to it would be nice to swap the boats around every so often.  Both are different and I feel like they both have their own feel to them.  But as I said I can understand why they are only running the Molly Brown.

Rocketeer

^I guess it is just down to cost. One to repair the old gal and another to have her out in the park on a regular basis.

Another idea I've had... what about using it for a characters only thing? Either with guests aboard or just a show we'd watch from the riverbank?

Sort of like what they did with the Disneyland Mark Twain with Tiana's Showboat Jubilee. Except it'd have to be something different for Frontierland.

Here's an excerpt showing the boat portion (its preceeded by a precession through New Orelans Sq.)

https://youtu.be/2BaEZdzaWF0

disneymagic006

Some great ideas for repurposing the Mark Twain!
I think they will get round to doing it up to use again as normal but it is a big job and I can't see it being a priority while Molly Brown is running well.

Good seeing on twitter ED92 that there has been refurbishment happening to the River Rogue Keelboats. Would be amazing to have them running again. It's been how many years.....
1992 - Newport Bay
1994 - Newport Bay
1997 - Sequoia Lodge
1999 - Davy Crockett
2002 - Santa Fe
2005 - Davy Crockett
2008 - Santa Fe
2010 - Sequoia Lodge (January)
2010 - Newport Bay (August)
2015 - Cheyenne
2017 - Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest stay booked for 5 nights July 2017. Excited for the 25th Anniversary!