Autism

Started by Nicola, April 06, 2017, 10:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicola

We are visiting in October, we have been before but have always been at VERY off peak times as my son has high functioning autism as he doesn't like crowds and long ques, but Dad turns 50 in October and we have booked a surprise visit and I know the park will be much busier. Has anyone ever got any support for this before from the park we have never done anything about it previous years as the park has been so quiet. Sometimes we have avoided the night show and we try to do popular rides during the less popular hours.  Any suggestions?
Cheyenne 1998
Cheyenne 2013
Cheyenne 2014
Cheyenne 2015
Disneyland Hotel 2017 (Feb)
Disneyland Hotel 2017 (Oct)
Disneyland Hotel 2018

Waiting for... ****Disneyland Hotel 2021****

polar vixen

Have you visited city hall to get an easy access card? This means you either jump the queue for rides and most character greets or get a time slot to return so you don't have to stand in the queues. Also helps with things like breakfastetc as they'll let you straight in.  Also reserved viewing areas for illuminations and parades etc. Makes a massive difference to us.

Karmaviolet

If you take a letter from your son's GP or Consultant, that is dated within 3 months of your trip and ideally stamped, stating that he has Autism (clarifying that this is a permanent disability), you should be issued with a green pass at City Hall or Studio Services.  This would enable your son plus up to 4 companions to use the disabled access to rides (which normally has no or a greatly reduced queue, though at peak times a return time may be given to avoid having to wait around for a long time) and scheduled meet and greet (normally a return time is given for these).  It would also cover him and 1 companion to gain access to the disability viewing areas for the parade and Illuminations.
(They also accept a blue parking badge for this card, but I'm guessing your son doesn't have one of these.)
Some people have reported that they have accepted the Disabled ID card, but as this isn't government issued it doesn't officially meet the stated requirements from the accessibility guide and could legitimately be refused.

Autism is very well recognised in DLP and if your letter states Autism you shouldn't have any difficulties - however be aware that Autism requires that an able-bodied adult ride with him at all times (on some rides that adult cannot also be responsible for children under 7) and a person with Autism cannot ride the Parashoot Drop for Health and Safety reasons (to do with ride evacuation procedures).

MickeyAteMyCap

I have high-functionality autism and a card that says 'Attention, I have autism' (intended to be given to emergency services if there's a problem that could cause me distress). I can also get easily stressed in queues and has resulted in me being a danger to others in the past. Would they accept an autism card as well as a letter from my doctor?

Nicola

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on April 06, 2017, 03:19:47 PM
I have high-functionality autism and a card that says 'Attention, I have autism' (intended to be given to emergency services if there's a problem that could cause me distress). I can also get easily stressed in queues and has resulted in me being a danger to others in the past. Would they accept an autism card as well as a letter from my doctor?

This is a great idea for us, thank you so much.
Cheyenne 1998
Cheyenne 2013
Cheyenne 2014
Cheyenne 2015
Disneyland Hotel 2018

Nicola

Quote from: Karmaviolet on April 06, 2017, 12:33:03 PM
If you take a letter from your son's GP or Consultant, that is dated within 3 months of your trip and ideally stamped, stating that he has Autism (clarifying that this is a permanent disability), you should be issued with a green pass at City Hall or Studio Services.  This would enable your son plus up to 4 companions to use the disabled access to rides (which normally has no or a greatly reduced queue, though at peak times a return time may be given to avoid having to wait around for a long time) and scheduled meet and greet (normally a return time is given for these).  It would also cover him and 1 companion to gain access to the disability viewing areas for the parade and Illuminations.
(They also accept a blue parking badge for this card, but I'm guessing your son doesn't have one of these.)
Some people have reported that they have accepted the Disabled ID card, but as this isn't government issued it doesn't officially meet the stated requirements from the accessibility guide and could legitimately be refused.

Autism is very well recognised in DLP and if your letter states Autism you shouldn't have any difficulties - however be aware that Autism requires that an able-bodied adult ride with him at all times (on some rides that adult cannot also be responsible for children under 7) and a person with Autism cannot ride the Parashoot Drop for Health and Safety reasons (to do with ride evacuation procedures).

Thank you so much. It's a relief because I din't know is Autism would be recognised. Thank you!!
Cheyenne 1998
Cheyenne 2013
Cheyenne 2014
Cheyenne 2015
Disneyland Hotel 2018

Nicola

Quote from: polar vixen on April 06, 2017, 12:26:30 PM
Have you visited city hall to get an easy access card? This means you either jump the queue for rides and most character greets or get a time slot to return so you don't have to stand in the queues. Also helps with things like breakfastetc as they'll let you straight in.  Also reserved viewing areas for illuminations and parades etc. Makes a massive difference to us.

Are your issues Autism related? I was worried it wouldn't be recognised by DLP it seems it's good news though! Thank you!
Cheyenne 1998
Cheyenne 2013
Cheyenne 2014
Cheyenne 2015
Disneyland Hotel 2018

Nicola

Can I ask how everyone has managed the night show. It will seem sad for someone to have to watch it on their own with him and the rest of the family elsewhere. Can the rest of the family stand on the other side of the rope for example?
Cheyenne 1998
Cheyenne 2013
Cheyenne 2014
Cheyenne 2015
Disneyland Hotel 2018

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: Nicola on April 06, 2017, 03:36:56 PM
Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on April 06, 2017, 03:19:47 PM

This is a great idea for us, thank you so much.
You're welcome but I don't know for sure if they accept it. I was hoping someone on here would be able to tell me because I'm planning on going to DLP in August and I want to avoid a situation that put others in danger due to me getting anxious in a queue.

polar vixen

Hi Nicolas. Yes 2 of my boys have autism and a 3rd has autism and adhd.....while the older 2 are more at risk of self harming during to stress and other side effects my third is also at risk of unintentionally hurting others too as his movements become so frantic when stressed. They each get a card   but this sometimes means that on certain rides we have to split as only one person  with autism can ride at a time.  There's only a couple of rides whee this is the case though.   Yes unfortunately for the night time show and parades the criteria is  1  companion per disabled person. You do occasionally get a kind cast member that will let an extra one in if it's quiet....otherwise get there early so family can be on other side of the rope. ......or split up unfortunately. When we were using the disabled area just opposite city hall the rest of our family stood on the path directly opposite....actually worked well in some respects cos we took photos of each other!

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: polar vixen on April 06, 2017, 05:19:14 PM
Hi Nicolas. Yes 2 of my boys have autism and a 3rd has autism and adhd.....while the older 2 are more at risk of self harming during to stress and other side effects my third is also at risk of unintentionally hurting others too as his movements become so frantic when stressed. They each get a card   but this sometimes means that on certain rides we have to split as only one person  with autism can ride at a time.  There's only a couple of rides whee this is the case though.   Yes unfortunately for the night time show and parades the criteria is  1  companion per disabled person. You do occasionally get a kind cast member that will let an extra one in if it's quiet....otherwise get there early so family can be on other side of the rope. ......or split up unfortunately. When we were using the disabled area just opposite city hall the rest of our family stood on the path directly opposite....actually worked well in some respects cos we took photos of each other!
Do they accept autism cards as proof?

polar vixen

My boys don't have one sonic couldn't tell you. To save me paying for a doctors letter I ask for a print out of their medical records which has the high points on it and is also dated. They usually accept that OK. Although with a dla letter if you have one

Mattj500

This page on their website has useful information as well as which documents are accepted as proof.
http://www.disneylandparis.co.uk/guest-services/guests-with-mental-or-cognitive-disabilities/ we've had very few issues and met some wonderfully helpful cast members. The odd bit of confusion at times as the park has rules about how many with each category of impairment can be on certain rides at a time, to do with evacation procedures. This is helped if there is an adult to support each person with autism.

Nicola

Thank you for the help! Typically I've just got a letter from the Paed. but it wont have the right date. I wonder what a GPs letter costs these days. Thank you so much. As you know there is no such thing as too much planning when travelling with ASD x
Cheyenne 1998
Cheyenne 2013
Cheyenne 2014
Cheyenne 2015
Disneyland Hotel 2018

polar vixen

If your son gets dla that letter will suffice - I just phoned them and asked them to resend his award letter. That one had the current date. . The letter with autistic diagnosis we still took as it said what the disability was but it didn't matter about the date on that one.