Usually ignored complex needs child

Started by curzonsmith, March 10, 2017, 05:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curzonsmith

Last time we went to DLP we didn't really get a chance to see many characters due to my sons disabilities (visually impaired non verbal non mobile) he's older now and we're hopping when we go at the beginning of April to see many more as his face was priceless when upclose to them few we saw last time. Question is what's the best way for us to meet characters with my son? We'll have a line pass as he's in a wheelchair - character dining is out as he has so many allergies and a very rigid feeding schedule. Any advice would be great fully received thank you x

polar vixen

Last time we were there to see characters you got a time slot to go back so even though there was  a queue you weren't being pushed or shoved while with the character. Also a quick word with the accompanying cast member helped out as we gave a quick overview of our sons needs. (Ie don't try to make eye contact, talk to him over his shoulder etc. They were brilliant. ) we also found meeting spiderman and mickey in his house really good as the meeting area was completely contained with no one but the character, cast member and photographer present so there was nothing else to distract.  All the characters were brilliant at carrying on a very one sided conversation but my boys (I have 3 asd, 1 non verbal) loved it.

curzonsmith

Can I ask where you mean to see them? We went to see Mickey but it was those who just came out and about - did you just have a quiet word with the cast member? Thank you x

dlpowl

I think what polarvixen is referring to are the set character meets.  You get a guide at the park entrance that tells you the meeting times and meeting points of the various characters.  Go to those meeting points at the start time so for example, it might say Goofy, Central Plaza 12.30-1.30pm.  So go to Central Plaza at 12.30 and approach the cast member with the clipboard.  They will give you a time slot, you come back at that time and you will have your own character interaction.  Explain your sons needs to the cast members and they will then act accordingly.  It's your meet so there's nobody around pushing and shoving, anybody else who is waiting will be in the proper queue.  It's a great system and makes meeting characters a joy for children with special needs, rather than an overwhelming nightmare!  Most of the time, if you arrive at the start time for the meet, you will be first or second on the list so will only have to wait a few minutes.   Hope that helps. x

polar vixen

Mickey has his own indoor meet new greet location  near Alice in wonderland maze. There's a disabled entrance on the right of it. And spiderman has his own location in the back left corner of the studios. Again indoors so the queue to meet him is in one room but you will be directed through the exit and straight to him when it's your turn.