Green pass advice please

Started by kelly78, January 02, 2017, 03:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelly78

Hello everyone, my daughter has a did card I have been informed if I present this card at city hall my daughter will be entitled to a green pass, from what I can gather we won't need to wait in line very long for rides but could someone please advise me if we are meant to get on the ride at the exit entrance does a cm be there? Or how do we know we're to wait? Will other people be ok with this or will they be any confrontation about skipping line? If someone just could tell me exactly how we would go about getting on the ride just want to follow proper procedure and not offend anyone. Is did card enough on its own for pass? Does the pass help with anything else. Thank you

littlebitofpixiedust

Hi, we always present my sons blue badge to city hall/studio services upon arrival never had any problems I'm unsure of what did pass is?

Usually you wait near ride exit a CM will see you and you'll board the attractions with usually less waiting time. As for offending people I'm afraid you sometimes get looks and comments but usually it's fine. There is a reason DLP have this system in place and unfortunately it means others wait longer than you. My son is a wheelchair user and cannot walk it'd be impossible to use a regular que line for that reason.

For some rides you'll need reservation like pirates of the Caribbean, small world,
Buzz and autopia I've done this in the past (if it's busy) with these attractions show the green card to the CM and if needed you'll get a reservation ticket for later same goes
For character meets.

Have a great trip!

kelly78

Hello thank you for your help, I'm just over thinking everything and probably over planning lol
This is some info for you about the did card it helps with lots of things for my daughter
About the National DID Card
The National Disabled Identification (DID) Card was introduced in response to disabled people getting tired of constantly having to carry their paperwork proving they were entitled to some form of disability benefit in order to obtain a concessionary rate.
In particular parents of children with disabilities and special needs, whose children's disability is not immediately obvious, such as autistic, global developmental delay and other disabilities find it hard to explain their disability, especially if the children are present who may be unaware that they have a disability.
Disabled individuals often do not want to request or highlight the fact they have a disability when they would be entitled to concessionary rates. There can be stigma attached to requesting disabled rates.

dlpowl

My son got a green pass during our last visit so I can help you, hopefully...

Every ride has a cast member at the entrance or exit and you need to show them your green pass (much easier to carry it in a clear pouch on a lanyard around your neck so you're not constantly taking it in and out of your bag) and then they will advise you what to do.  On some rides you go on via the exit, some it is via the fastpass lane.  We went during term time so the park wasn't crazy busy and we never had to book a slot and come back later but this does happen on the popular rides, I think we were just lucky.  Be aware though that depending on the disability, some rides are off limits.  My son has ASD and was therefore not allowed to ride Parachute Drop.  Obviously, we could've queued up in the normal queue and not declared it but as it was always a huge queue we didn't.

For character meets, get to the meeting spot early and approach the cast member with the character - look for the cm with the clipboard!!  They will give you a time to return for your character meet.  If you get there at the start time then you'll be first on the list and be seen more or less immediately.  They only have so many disabled slots so get there at the start, especially for Minnie as hers go very quickly.  For a Princess Pavillion slot, you go to the exit but get there at 9.30am (earlier if the park is busy) and wait in front of the disabled sign.  The cast member will come out at 10am and give out the time slots but if you don't get there by 9.30 (or even 9.15am) you won't get one cos the disabled queue is massive by 10am and they only give out a few slots.  You don't have to have the disabled person with you though, so they can go off with someone else in your party whilst you queue.

For shows, again, turn up about 30 mins early and show your green pass to a cm who will give you instructions.

Another good tip is that there is a disabled security checkpoint (amongst all the other checkpoints) as you enter the Disney complex.  You are eligible to use those disabled checkpoints with your green pass and the queue is usually way shorter than the other ones!!  If you can't see the disabled checkpoint, ask a cm where it is, cos you will get through much quicker.   Hope that helps, have a great time.

fairymom

You can also get served faster in counter service restaurants with it though I tend not to as it really looks like queue jumping when you do it there. I feel sorry for those who were standing for so long. It depends on the situation as to whether we use it then or not.

polar vixen

Wow I didn't know that! I feel the same way, if feel kind of guilty when service is so slow, however last time I almost fainted in the queue and had to have help to get back because I'd stood to long, so there are situations where it would be justified

Zesty

Providing it's not during EMH if you go down the side of DLH to get into the park there is a disabled entrance without the big queue to get in. You can skip queues in restaurants but it's hard to know how and where or to get the attention of staff (after fighting my way through the Casey crowd to the disabled part where a member of staff had previously taken me I was too low down behind the high counter to be seen!). Be prepaired a longish wait for thunder mountain and Ratatouille. Also you can have breakfast at any time instead of being given a slot

kelly78

I really appreciate all this advise it's a god send, I have actually took a screen shot of your replies to read back over quickly when I'm there lol my daughter has severe complex needs and asd, when you say you can have breakfast at any time instead of being given a slot do you still have to queue in line for breakfast in your hotel will the green pass help for this also? Thank you all for breaking down the procedure for rides as I really am worried about any confrontation as my daughter would just not cope with it thank you all so much xx

Zesty

There's wasn't much of a queue for breakfast so I never tried to use the pass but one day there was a queue and a member of staff spotted me and took me to the front. Don't be afraid to just walk up to the front and show the green pass or explain your daughter would struggle to wait in the line for breakfast

dlpowl

We never once had anybody say anything to us about us queue jumping and we were there for 7 days!  I suppose we did get the odd look of 'why are they so special' but there are lots of green pass holders so you don't really stand out that much.  I think if you're just discreet with it and don't flash it about then people don't even really notice.  The staff are very good about it as well and they don't make a big deal out of it either.  Honestly, don't worry.

Also, there is a disabled viewing area for the parade (to the right of the castle) and for the evening show (currently Dreams but changing soon - disabled area is to the left of the centre area in front of the castle).  You can watch from these areas which are less crowded and you get a pretty decent view.  It gets very busy around show and parade times so familiarise yourself with whereabouts these areas are beforehand so that you know where you are going and aren't trying to find them amongst all the crowds. 

For The Meet Mickey Paviliion, there is a disabled entrance just around the right side of the building - look for the disabled sign - and there's a doorbell.  Ring it and someone will come out to you. 

We did use the green pass in some of the counter service restaurants when the queues were horrific but on the whole we tried to avoid the restaurants at the busy times anyway. 

If I think of anything else I will come back!  Lol!

Queenie

My son has a DID card, and we were issued a green pass at the City Hall without a problem (ADHD & ASD) We also took his diagnosis letter with us, but they didn't want to see that.  We don't claim any benefits for his conditions, or have a blue badge, so this was all the evidence we had.

I can't offer anything additional to what others already posted, although next time I will definitley get a plastic pouch and carry the card on a lanyard, it was a pain getting it in and out of pockets all the time and was quite tattered by the end of the trip!

Andybear

Quote from: fairymom on January 03, 2017, 05:23:23 PM
You can also get served faster in counter service restaurants with it though I tend not to as it really looks like queue jumping when you do it there. I feel sorry for those who were standing for so long. It depends on the situation as to whether we use it then or not.

On my last trip in 2014 I went to Chalet au Marionette for lunch one day.  Each till had 2 queues, the right hand queue was for people with green cards and the left hand queue was for people without.  The green card queue of the till I was at was constantly moving and the queue without a green card was at a standstill.  I was in the queue of people without a green card and after waiting without moving for 20 minutes I gave up and left - I wasn't the only one.  I understand there are reasons why people have green cards but I think there should be separate tills for people with them, that way the rest of us wouldn't have to wait ages to be served.