Star Wars: A Galactic Celebration - A Spectacular Spectacle?

Started by Sulley's Arms, January 12, 2017, 12:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sulley's Arms

With Season of The Force beginning on 14th January, excitement is building for the first real effort at making the Studios Park a serious destination for more than half a day.

Having spent this week running the final test showings for the various Season of The Force elements after park closing, the footage online looks amazing. Plus, with the recent announcement that all but one of the Star Wars shows will continue until September, the only element that will show exclusively during Season of The Force is therefore 'Star Wars: A Galactic Celebration' - the WDS park's Star Wars version of Disney Dreams!

With a mixture of projection mapping, fireworks, live action on stage, and video screens, this spectacle looks, well, spectacular.  As an initiative to boost visitor numbers during the relatively quiet months of January -March, I would expect that this will make the WDS more popular at certain times than the main park, especially since at closing time one park will be showing a limited-run special.

I will be immersing myself in this Star Wars extravaganza with my family in February but I would love to have everyone else's views on it both before seeing it, if indeed you will be going during Season of The Force, and also after you've been lucky enough to experience all this season has to offer.

Over to you...!
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]
Mar 15 - Sejours [4d]
Feb 16 - Kyriad [4d]
Dec 16 - Offsite [3d]
Feb 17 - Adagio [4d]
Aug 17 - Offsite [2d]
Dec 17 - Offsite [3d]
Dec 18 - Cheyenne [3d]

french fille

This is second time in  dlp    ( last year it was star was party in dlp )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHXjVaBTxOs
expecting large crowd for this  period

kelly78

I'm going with my family on Monday so would be more than happy to find anything out for you that you wish to know before hand.

dencarter

The two continuing shows are near carbon copies of the same shows in Hollywood Studios in Florida. Both are very good fun indeed - although not necessarily 'spectacular'. The nighttime projection show 'A Galactic Celebration' is adapted from the same in Florida, which is projected onto the Chinese Theatre and surrounding structures. The Florida version is truly epic. One of the best 'spectaculars' I've ever seen at a Disney park. If DLP's version is even half as good, we're in for a treat! I'm very excited for this!

french fille

Quote from: kelly78 on January 12, 2017, 03:14:24 AM
I'm going with my family on Monday so would be more than happy to find anything out for you that you wish to know before hand.

The best Star Wars costumes for your dlp experience
https://fr.pinterest.com/explore/star-wars-costumes/

cyrilthemilkman

We are off in two weeks time....

I'm not a star wars fan, in fact the only one I've seen all the way through is Rogue One as my kids are massive star wars fans and dragged me along.

But.... looking at this it looks immense, not sure its on the same level as dreams from the clips I have seen, but it certainly looks like it could be.

It may convince me to watch all the films.

Like to see how the daytime star war activities all pull together and build for this finale at the end of the day.

Something the studios badly needs.

Gonna be great

french fille

dlp will do something very special, unexpected and delightful surprises ,
even you are not fan of star wars this show  something really rare and unique

Sulley's Arms

So today we finally got to see the Star Wars Galactic Celebration show. What a fantastic idea.
I can't believe I didn't like it. Since having seen the original movie in opening week as a 7-year old and having never stopped loving all things SW (except of course certain elements of Episode 1!), this is something that I've planned on watching each day of our trip and recording it to watch at home.
However the fact that it's simply a collection of movie clips projected onto Tower of Terror, you can't help noticing that it wasn't made for this building's shape and contours -something that is essential for this kind of show  (which is why Dreams works so well (mostly).
In this show, each time a scene changes I can't tell what it is that I'm looking at. Each time the image scrolls you can just see windows , balconies,  ledges, the ToT sign, etc. with an image passing over it. This simply doesn't work.
The idea of the show is fantastic and certain elements are awesome - the Emperor's lightning effect, the lightsaber finale and the ship battle lasers are all unbelievably great but the main body of the show simply doesnt translate as it should.

This is unfortunately how the new Disney Illuminations show is likely to be as well, since it also includes various movie clips that we're made for a flat, and immensely wide, screen, not the DLP Castle...

Yours faithfully
Disappointed of Nottingham
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]
Mar 15 - Sejours [4d]
Feb 16 - Kyriad [4d]
Dec 16 - Offsite [3d]
Feb 17 - Adagio [4d]
Aug 17 - Offsite [2d]
Dec 17 - Offsite [3d]
Dec 18 - Cheyenne [3d]

Slimy yet satisfying

Have to say last night was a let down. They messed up the programme and the English show was in French. Printing mistake so had waited around for the wrong version and missed dreams. Very annoying.
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

mary

What time is the show likely to be if the park closes at 8pm.  The brochure shows 7.15.

Thanks

mary

Can you manage to see the Star Wars show then get back to see Disney Dreams at the close of time?

claire2281

Quote from: mary on February 14, 2017, 03:12:13 PM
Can you manage to see the Star Wars show then get back to see Disney Dreams at the close of time?

Depends what time the showing is - for example the current weekday schedule has the English version showing first at 19:15 so you'd have plenty of time to get to the other park for Dreams. However the weekend schedule has the English version showing second at 8:45 so you couldn't see Dreams as well.

My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne