Planning May/June trip

Started by JodieG91, January 02, 2017, 08:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JodieG91

Hi everbody! My OH and I went to Paris around 4 years ago and spent a day in Disneyland. I was ill the night before and between not feeling great and only getting 1 day there, it just wasn't enough. I've been desperate to go back ever since and managed to convince him! :D So we're planning on a May half term trip (both work term time). We're thinking probably driving and Eurotunnel. We're driving from Wales, so it's a long journey to Folkestone to start with. I originally thought we could drive there on the Saturday, stay the night, read for an early Eurotunnel departure on the Sunday morning and then drive straight to Le Chene Gris (the campsite we're staying at), get sorted and head straight to Disney with our annual passes. I'm contemplating what is best to do, whether to stay the night this side, or travel through the evening and stay that night near Calais. Any advice?

Now, the most affordable way for us to do it seems to be:
Drive + Eurotunnel
Annual passports
Stay at Le Chene Gris

This is coming in at roughly £700 for the two of us for 7 nights. I know we need to add fuel/toll/hotel stop charges onto that, but I still think it's cheaper than any other way. Does this seem correct? We've never done a trip like this before, last time we went to Paris it was for 2/3 nights and through a travel agent so was all organised for us. With the annual passports, we get parking and EMH so figured we could drive to Disneyland (15 mins away) each day.

Any advice from people who have done similar would be greatly appreciated! :D Thanks.

JodieG91

Is there anybody at all who has done self-drive and offsite stay and recommends? I can't wait, I feel as though driving and the caravan site will add to the holiday and it's part of it :D

Zee79

We always self drive to Disney. Absolutely love it, we have a road trip setting off the day before from the north east, staying in a hotel the English side then getting the 7am train arriving at Disney around lunchtime. We do the same on the return journey, getting round about the 8:30pm train back so we don't need to leave the park until about 3pm.

We usually stay on-site and the only time we haven't we rented an apartment 1 train stop away from Disney. We enjoyed it and the cost was good Inc dream annual passes but we prefer to stay on-site especially with my father's mobility issues now.

This year we are actually going to attempt to drive straight through to Disney arriving hopefully around 9pm local time because I added extra days to my trip, staying in the Magic circus until new year's day then checking out early to check in to the Sequoia Lodge. It's going to be a very tiring trip going straight through but we are sharing the drive, I do the English side my father the French & I navigate. It is doable as my brother drove the whole way himself one year but he was shattered.

We pack snacks & drinks and a blanket, just incase there are any delays. One year it took us 11hours to do the 5 hour trip & it was chilly in the jams.  We have kids so give them their own little bags, make sure we have dvd player & plenty of DVDs, colouring books etc to keep them entertained. We've been doing this since kids were 7&4, they are now 14 & 10. My neices were 10month old when they first went. We  stop at particular service stations for breaks & food plus buy something for evening meal in the hotel if there isn't a restaurant near by.

It is fun and does add to the trip.