Fat people and rides

Started by jkhighlander, October 13, 2016, 10:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkhighlander

Hi can anyone tell me how generous the rides are I'm relation to fitting on them? This is my biggest nightmare.
Thanks

polar vixen

I'm 5'10, and a size 22. The only thing I find tight is crush's coaster, and I didn't feel secure when the lap restraint seemed to click out of place last time I rode it - I spent the entire ride pulling it agaiosnt me as tightly as I possibly couild.  Everything else was fine, although if riding orbitron climb in and out of it as you would a bath, and wear trousers!

solo_beckett

I put a post some time ago on the trip advisor page for DL p but never thought to copy it here.

I am plus sized person and while I am very happy with my shape it can cause some worries when it comes to holidaymaking and there are often questions that us Plushies may have that we are nervous to ask so I am hoping with my post it might reassure others that their Disney Dreams will not be Plus sized hell. I don't have mobility issues but I know that this can be the case for some people who have weight gain due to illness / Disability but there are plenty of topics on that already. I am keeping this topic as general as possible as to assist as many people as I can.

Flights:

I am only addressing this form of transport as size does not appear to be an issue with other methods such as train / Boat. If you are flying to DLP most airlines safety belts will fit to a maximum size waist, that does not mean you will not fit in the seat just you may have problems with the belt. If you have not flown before and if you are worried about this you can buy a belt extender cheaply online (which fits most airlines) or you can ask discreetly for a belt extender and the Air Host/ess will supply no fuss no bother. The comfort really depends on the plane so Google the dimensions of the plane if you're worried. (The last time we went DH and I were bumped up to 1st class with Air France. OMG Lush!!!!)

Rooms:

Most rooms with the park come with a large queen bed which has quite a comfortable well supporting mattress. The Bathrooms usually are shower over bath, the bath is a standard (and by that I mean small) size but I found it perfect to relax in after a hard day in the park. There is a handrail if you are worried about slipping. The towels are very small, they dry you fine but don't expect modesty as they are not that generous. If you plan on swimming bring your own towel.

The Park:

Now this was my main worry, would I fit!!!! Would I be subject to the walk of shame? Thankfully I had no issues what so every. Every ride we went on was very comfortable and I had no concerns what so ever. There is a lot of walking (really a lot) so make sure you are wearing something comfortable. Maybe carry an extra pair of socks and some talc. Light layers so you can add and peel when the weather changes 50 times a day. Get really good trainers and always carry a water bottle. If things get really bad, use pain killers. Ibuprofen gel for your feet works a treat but use it early and keep you tootsies dry! I have to admit until we got back to the Hotel so at midnight I did not realise how many miles we walked in a day. There is always the option of going back to the hotel but to be honest I did not want to miss a moment so I did have the off cheeky rest on the Train around the park!

Shopping:

I found that there was a good range up to about a Mens 2 – 3xl which fit just fine, obviously not everything comes in every size but there was still plenty to buy. If you are staying in one of the hotels and you don't want to carry things around the park, Shop early and have it sent back to the hotel. I found EMH very good for this and the goodies were waiting for you in your hotel when you got back in the evening.

I hope this little post has will be reassuring to others and will allay fears that people reading it might have about their trip to the park.

Please feel free to ask questions!

Pamela

OMG Thank you for asking this question and thanks heaps for answering it. This is something that has me worried. I have weeks to go and I've just started a new diet, so I don't see me making the trip extra skinny (I'm planning on continueing my diet after the trip!). I'm not even plus sized anymore, I'm fat. I'm at least a size  22, sometimes 24, and I wear most of my weight in my hips (definitely a pear shape!) and I'm really scared of not fitting into the rides. I've been doing research and I've read that most rides have over the head restraints and only a few have lap restraints, is that right?

Emmy79

Being a big girl myself I have to agree that crush was a little too tight for my big bum but all the others are fine.   However I did find that sometimes getting on and off the rides was a struggle for my size (20 and just 5 foot tall), I think its made worse kbowing someone else is tryong to get on too!  This makes me want to lose weight before my next trip....fingers crossed!

clairabell13

I just wanted to jump in here and reassure you.

I am a size 24, and have visited DLP twice now.  I had no trouble with any of the rides, but admittedly I didn't try Cush's Coaster (not really to my liking), and Orbitron.  But everything else I didn't have an issue with, even the rides like Slinky Dog where a bar comes down to your stomach.  Seat belts fit with loads of room on the rides such as Dumbo and the Parachute Drop.  I remember the first time we visited, and I would watch the rides before joining the queue.  But there was nothing to worry about at all. 

Enjoy your trip - you'll love it.  :)
October 2011 - Apartment in Bailly-Romainvilliers
May 2012 - Apartment in Bailly-Romainvillers

September 2018 - 12th Wedding Anniversary at Explorers Hotel - so excited!

daddyof2

Neither myself nor my wife are slim, and we had a little trouble with Cars Quatre Roue Rallye (is that right?) - the Cars ride in the studios. Getting us both belted in sat behind the kids was tricky. Not sure we had any difficulties on other rides