First time booking and using the Eurostar

Started by stormflm595, August 14, 2016, 06:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormflm595

I've always flown to DLP but this time have decided on the Eurostar.

When would be the best time to book for next September, is it usually 6 months before? I've had a look to get an idea of prices (for example I looked last month at November prices) and it seems to be very high. Does anyone have any tips on getting the best value? Don't mind spending the money as our hotel is all booked and paid for and we have just over a year to go so that's no problem but we want to still save a bit of money since we will be also getting the train into London and staying right by St Pancras either side of the trip. As we will be staying at St Pancras would it be cheaper for us to get the indirect train early in the morning or do both the indirect and direct tend to be on the same price level?

Appreciated :)
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

dencarter

I can't comment on pricing as I work for a train operating company and get discount Eurostar travel anyway, but I can confirm the trains go on sale six months before travel rate.

In terms of convenience, obviously the direct train from St Pancras is the easiest option, but travelling via Lille and changing adds only about 15-45 mins total journey total (depending on your transit time), so if the price is better for the connecting journey, I wouldn't hesitate. Also, at Lille there's a giant Carrefour next to the station, so if you do find yourself there with half an hour to kill, it's a good place to stock up on treats for the onward journey as well as for the duration of your trip, as you'll find much better supplies there than you will in the convenience stores around Disneyland.

Karmaviolet

The direct services are available to buy over the phone from around 9 months beforehand. 
I phoned a couple of weeks ago and booked for June '17.  The operator initially said "Oh no, they won't be released yet." but then double checked and they were bookable.

Pricing increases with demand - the first batch of tickets for a direct service go at £39 each way, then once they have been sold the price gradually increases.  So it's definately worth ringing up in early January and asking them to double check on the system how far in advance the tickets have been released...

stormflm595

Quote from: dencarter on August 14, 2016, 10:47:44 PM
I can't comment on pricing as I work for a train operating company and get discount Eurostar travel anyway, but I can confirm the trains go on sale six months before travel rate.

In terms of convenience, obviously the direct train from St Pancras is the easiest option, but travelling via Lille and changing adds only about 15-45 mins total journey total (depending on your transit time), so if the price is better for the connecting journey, I wouldn't hesitate. Also, at Lille there's a giant Carrefour next to the station, so if you do find yourself there with half an hour to kill, it's a good place to stock up on treats for the onward journey as well as for the duration of your trip, as you'll find much better supplies there than you will in the convenience stores around Disneyland.

Good tip dencarter! Did you find Lille station easy to navigate or was it stressful? I'm quite an anxious traveller in that I worry that the train will be late or I'll miss it etc. but obviously if the price difference is quite big then it's a no brainer.

Quote from: Karmaviolet on August 15, 2016, 09:05:31 AM

The direct services are available to buy over the phone from around 9 months beforehand. 
I phoned a couple of weeks ago and booked for June '17.  The operator initially said "Oh no, they won't be released yet." but then double checked and they were bookable.

Pricing increases with demand - the first batch of tickets for a direct service go at £39 each way, then once they have been sold the price gradually increases.  So it's definately worth ringing up in early January and asking them to double check on the system how far in advance the tickets have been released...

Ooh I didn't know that! Great thanks, I'll ring up early and see what they say as £39 each way direct is really good compared to the £90 each way I've seen online!!
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

stifle

Changing at Lille-Europe is simple. Outbound it is normally across the platform. Coming back you go up in the lift/escalator, short walk to Eurostar check-in where you scan tickets, do passport control and security, and wait to board. It is not a big station.