How to get a non-Disney loving BF to the parks

Started by stormflm595, July 04, 2016, 02:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormflm595

Hi guys!

Hope you're all well!

I've just seen on the official website that the 2 nights 2 days free offer is back and I really want to book our hotel and tickets whilst it's on for next September. Problem is...my boyfriend isn't a Disney fan and is a bit wary of going knowing that he won't like it much. I keep telling him that once he's there he'll enjoy himself but he's still reluctant. I think he'll eventually take me for a birthday or something as I keep saying how much i want to go back but as this offer is on now and is so good I need advice on how I might be able to talk him into it. I figure the offer won't last forever and obviously I want to save money and have something to look forward to again!!!
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

caspdex

Is there anything in Paris that he would like to do or see.

msRavenswood

I'll be sharing my personal story. I first visited DLP when I was 15 years old as a one day trip with school. Despite the fact I loved the experience for the next years I didn't manage to go back, but I promised myself that I would return no matter what. Fourteen years later, I got engaged and I kept bugging my then fiancé that when we would get married we should visit Paris and spend a few days at Disneyland for our honeymoon. Although he said OK at first, he regretted it and kept telling everyone that he didn't want to visit at all as DLP is a kiddies place that adults can't enjoy. Boy, was he wrong! Upon setting foot on Main Street USA he fell in love with the place and he has become an avid fan ever since. He keeps daydreaming of our return to Disneyland every single day and now thay we have become parents for the first time he can't wait for our daughter to become a Disney enthusiast just like us!

Has your boyfriend visited before or is he prejudiced towards everything Disney? If that's his first time, I'm sure that once he's there he will love it!

stormflm595

Hmmm he's never said he'd like to see Paris but we have just come back from Rome and he loved it so I think seeing the sights on one of the days would be something he'd like to do.

Oooh msRavenswood that sounds promising. He's not prejudiced to Disney, he really likes the Pixar films and will watch the classics with me if I beg but he sees Disneyland as more of a kids place and not an adult place lol he was very surprised when I told him about the adult rides such as rock n roller and space mountain so that changed his opinion sligjtly.

Great news though, he messaged back to my frantic text begging for us to book and said yes straightaway!! I think he'll cope and there will be things he'll enjoy but I don't see him going back again until we have children so im going to make the most of it :p
August 2001 DLP, 3 days

msRavenswood

Yay, so happy for you! Have lots of fun!  ;D  ;D  ;D

samuelvictor

I am a huge fan of Disney animation, but I must admit that before our first trip I didn't really want to go. My wife had been bugging me for a long time and I'd always put it off as I thought it would be overly expensive, cynically aimed at getting you to part with money, and I felt that it would be mostly aimed at young kids. I thought I would find it crowded, noisy and boring. I also felt that Paris would be a waste of time and a poor version of the American parks.

However, within 10 minutes of our first trip I'd completely chaged my mind - I loved it there, and its now my favourite place in the world. We've gone back many times and its always me asking when we can go again! I'm hoping my kids have kids so I can have an excuse to take the grandchildren as often as possible also!  :-[ We even became shareholders, and have a large and ever growing collection of DLP merchandise, clothes, badges, coins etc.

Obviously I don't know exactly when you'll be going so I don't know what areas/attractions will be closed (refurbishments before the 25th anniversary next year). But here is an idea of the route i'd take for someone like him :)

Maybe take him to the Studios Park first - the entrance and studio one feel a little more grown up, and going on Rock n Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Moteur Stunt Show and the Tram Tour should him plenty to enjoy that's not aimed at small kids. As a fan of Pixar movies, go through the awesomely designed Cars and Toy Story themed areas (maybe going on RC Racer and Parashoot drop) and on to Ratatouille (very impressive) and Crush's Coaster (defintiely not for the faint hearted!). If he's into films, Cinemagique and the Art of Animation will leave a great first impression as well.

Once he's converted, take him to the larger Disneyland park. Main Street is really cool, but the Arcede walk thoughs on either side feel quite grown up and sophisticated and are ofetn less crowded. You can offset the girly/kiddy feel of the Castle by walking through the Dragon's cave instead - then ignore Fantasyland and head towards Pirates of the Carribean, Indiana Jones, Big Thunder Mountain and Phantom Manor. If he's enjoying the theming and design of the park, a boatride on the Mark Twain / Molly Brown is a nice change of pace - then across to Discoveryland to do Space Mountain, Star Tours and Buzz Lightyear, not forgeting the Disney/Pixar short film festival showing 4D films.

After all that - he's bound to be a complete convert and can enjoy more "young at heart" stuff like the parade, Dreams, Casey Junior, Autopia and Its a Small World without feeling like he's lost any of his "manliness"! ;) I bet by the end of the trip he's wearing Mickey ears and is planning when you can next afford to go  ::) ;D

stormflm595

Quote from: samuelvictor on July 05, 2016, 10:03:20 AM
I am a huge fan of Disney animation, but I must admit that before our first trip I didn't really want to go. My wife had been bugging me for a long time and I'd always put it off as I thought it would be overly expensive, cynically aimed at getting you to part with money, and I felt that it would be mostly aimed at young kids. I thought I would find it crowded, noisy and boring. I also felt that Paris would be a waste of time and a poor version of the American parks.

However, within 10 minutes of our first trip I'd completely chaged my mind - I loved it there, and its now my favourite place in the world. We've gone back many times and its always me asking when we can go again! I'm hoping my kids have kids so I can have an excuse to take the grandchildren as often as possible also!  :-[ We even became shareholders, and have a large and ever growing collection of DLP merchandise, clothes, badges, coins etc.

Obviously I don't know exactly when you'll be going so I don't know what areas/attractions will be closed (refurbishments before the 25th anniversary next year). But here is an idea of the route i'd take for someone like him :)

Maybe take him to the Studios Park first - the entrance and studio one feel a little more grown up, and going on Rock n Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Moteur Stunt Show and the Tram Tour should him plenty to enjoy that's not aimed at small kids. As a fan of Pixar movies, go through the awesomely designed Cars and Toy Story themed areas (maybe going on RC Racer and Parashoot drop) and on to Ratatouille (very impressive) and Crush's Coaster (defintiely not for the faint hearted!). If he's into films, Cinemagique and the Art of Animation will leave a great first impression as well.

Once he's converted, take him to the larger Disneyland park. Main Street is really cool, but the Arcede walk thoughs on either side feel quite grown up and sophisticated and are ofetn less crowded. You can offset the girly/kiddy feel of the Castle by walking through the Dragon's cave instead - then ignore Fantasyland and head towards Pirates of the Carribean, Indiana Jones, Big Thunder Mountain and Phantom Manor. If he's enjoying the theming and design of the park, a boatride on the Mark Twain / Molly Brown is a nice change of pace - then across to Discoveryland to do Space Mountain, Star Tours and Buzz Lightyear, not forgeting the Disney/Pixar short film festival showing 4D films.

After all that - he's bound to be a complete convert and can enjoy more "young at heart" stuff like the parade, Dreams, Casey Junior, Autopia and Its a Small World without feeling like he's lost any of his "manliness"! ;) I bet by the end of the trip he's wearing Mickey ears and is planning when you can next afford to go  ::) ;D

This sounds really promising samuelvictor, thank you!

The great thing is, is that WE HAVE BOOKED!!!! He was actually going to surprise me by booking a trip and then giving me all of the confirmations at Christmas as a surprise but when I found the price we decided to book now in case it goes back up to over a grand for the same amount of time and time of year. We are off in September 2017 so a long wait but I wanted to go when it was all pretty again, next to nothing green fences, rides all open so that he got the best first impression.

Funnily enough, I have already decided that I'll get him on the Tower of Terror first. He has the idea, like you did, that the parks are aimed more at children so if I get him on this he'll hopefully see otherwise. Then of course Rock N Rollercoaster etc! I'm so excited thinking about it! As it was supposed to be my Christmas or birthday present, he has said he'll book something really special for me instead so I'm now trying to decide between Buffalo Bills (which I did once and loved and think he'll really enjoy as well) and Auberge (something that I'm yet to do and will save queuing at the pavilion).

Everyone so far has told me that their partners who were a bit grumpy about going ended up loving it so I'm hoping that this is the case!
August 2001 DLP, 3 days

samuelvictor

Glad to have helped and so happy for you to hear you have booked! September 2017 is the PERFECT time to go - all the refurbishments will be done and everything will be open :) I'm jealous - but 90% sure we'll be going there roughly the same time too  8)

Choice between Buffalo Bills and Auberge is a really tough one, both things that we've not yet done but would love to  :D

I think once you are there it is virtually impossible not to be caught up in how amaing everything is, so I'm sure he'll love it :)

sarahh83

Trust me he will love it and you'll have him in a silly hat taking selfies with characters in no time! How do I know this ... my boyfriend was the same! We first went in December 2012 for our sons 3rd birthday. He wasn't excited about it everything I showed him was met with "well it's for kids ain't it" ... he absolutely loved it. Day we came home the first thing he said "when we coming back?"

We returned February 2014 and then again December 2015 for actual Christmas! He even proposed on Christmas day and we are having a disney themed wedding

Disney well and truly now runs thru his veins ha ha
First visit to DLP but stayed in Paris in 1993 just after DLP opened - aged 10!!

Cheyenne 13-17 Dec 2012 - amazing time for my sons 3rd birthday

Santa Fe 12-16 Feb 2014 - truly magical, Valentines meal overlooking the fireworks at the DLP hotel ... PERFECT!

Newport Bay 23-27 Dec 2015 - I only went and got engaged ON CHRISTMAS DAY IN DISNEYLAND ❤❤❤ 1st in the park on Boxing Day too ... amazeballs

perrollaz

Hey, show him those videos.
It's promotional material from Disneyland but I love em, hope your boyfriend too  ;)

http://youtu.be/iFdWcYYhm-k
http://youtu.be/zIymh0ifJzQ
http://youtu.be/OhJ-ONAB97E

samuelvictor

I love the fact that those adverts use the "Sorted" expression, just like Sophie from the "Ten Things to Know Before You Go" ads! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJSx9R13g3U

stormflm595

Oh wow I forgot how much I hate to love Sophie haha!! Her enthusiasm definitely wakes me up early when I'm at the parks  ;)
August 2001 DLP, 3 days

loupenny

Hello!

I went with my BF last year and it was his first trip since a tiny child, he wasn't enthusiastic at all so I planned for a more adult trip. We booked into the Silver Spur steakhouse and didn't book any character dining I also called city hall and booked us on the walking tour about the history of the parks (he loved this, very adult). I was prepared for him to be a bit reluctant but pretty much as soon as we were there he loved it! I was expecting to take it very easy with lots of nice food and get cocktails etc. at night but he was having none of it! He had me dashing around the park from ride to ride, going to bed early for EMHs.

We spent a lot of time in the studios park (we went for 4 days) but he also loved the stuff in the main park, he loved chatting to cast members, got massively into pin trading (never expected that!) and it was his idea to get APs for next year. Plus we've now got a 2018 florida trip in the pipeline and he's talking about a trip to the Asian Disneys before 2020!

The only thing he wasn't keen on was meeting characters, I got him to meet Donald on like our very last day. He really didn't want to and he felt really silly so I just talked (I used to do non-disney character work) and after he said it was so lifelike he really felt like he met Donald Duck and maybe we could try a character meal as he wouldn't feel embarrassed queuing with little kids then.

What I found great was it was like seeing the parks almost through a child (they're just big kids really  :P) he was so full of excitement and wonder for all the new things. I mean imagine how amazing it would be to visit disney again like it was your very first time?? No preconceptions and it just being full of wonder and magic, amazing! Enjoy!
In the past - Disneyland Hotel, New York, New Port Bay (DLP) Caribbean Beach (WDW) and AP holder at Tokyo Disney.
Recent Years - Kyriad - 2011
Santa Fe - 2015
Dream Castle, B&B hotel, Air BnBs - 2017