Does pin trading still happen?

Started by Del_Stuart, May 13, 2016, 07:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Del_Stuart

Hi guys

The pin threads up above seem like they have died  :'(

I'm going at the end of this month and wanted to know if it's worth taking our lanyards as I love some pin trading! Bit there's no point if there's not much trading

Thanks guys

daddyof2

Yes, it's not very common but I found plenty of CM's I could trade with

bad-pink-tink

I was in Disneyland Paris February 2016. I stayed onsite so I had access to EMH. I started trading during EMH with CM's in the shops in Fantasyland. Then when the other lands opened at 10 am, I basically just went from shop to shop, starting at Pirates, then Frontierland, Main Street and Discovery Land until lunch time. The best time is EMH to 12pm mid day as it seems the CM's start the day with good pins and then once they go, they dont really trade as much and you find alot of the same pins on the lanyards.

On my first day I did 12 trades, 5  were genuine pins, which I  checked on Pin Pics and they had no scrapper or counterfeit notes. 7 pins did have scrapper , counterfeit notes on pin pics.

On my second day retraded the scrappers I got the day before. I didnt feel bad trading these as they were already in circulation in the parks anyway. I usually only trade genuine, no scrapper pins. :) I started the day with the 7 scrappers from yesterday plus 4 of my own trading pins. Again early morning EMH to 12pm was the best time.

On my second day I ended up with 6 genuine pins, mainly Disneyland Paris pins, all checked on Pin Pics and they didnt have any scrapper or counterfeit notes. I ended up with 4 Scrapper pins, all of which have scrapper notes on Pin Pics.

Total after 2 days of trading, 11 genuine , 4 scrappers

CMs who had good pins and were interested in pin trading could be found in Pirates shop and in the shop just inside Adventureland entrance, opposite Agrah Bar restaurant. Everyone else had pins because it is required and had mostly scrappers, ie you could see the same pins on many lanyards.

A CM in the Buzz shop made up her own rules. She wanted to choose from MY pins, was not happy that I could choose one of her pins but she had to take what was given to her.

One of the CM's in Pirates shop had went into a huddle with one of her colleagues when I showed her the pin I wanted to trade. It was a genuine pin I had bought in Disney California but because she had not seen the series before she was wary of taking it, but I re-assured her I had bought it in Disney Parks.

Overall its alot harder work than in California. I eventually ended up with good pins, but only because I hit almost every shop before lunch. You wont find any of the ride or show or attraction CM's with pins. I didnt see any pin traders hanging out with books, I didnt even see any pin boards in shops

Depending on how many days you are in the parks, I would bring about a small amount of good pins and the rest medium pins. I wouldn't really bother with top level pins, the ones you keep to trade for the very special pins you collect. I wouldn't bother putting them on a lanyard, I had mine in a small baggie which I kept in my pocket.

I think I saw only 1 person / non CM wearing a pin lanyard. I only traded with CM's in the shops, either at the tills or restocking shelves.

There are pins onsale in most shops. The places which have the largest selection for sale are Harringtons on Main Street, the shop at Buzz in Discoveryland and the shops in Fronteirland. I saw pin carts outside Plaza Restaurant on Main Street and outside Pinocchio in Fantasyland. You will spend more on pins than you expected. They have alot of Disneyland Paris exclusives, like the attraction pins and Disneyland Paris holidays and special ranges.

One final little tip. Make sure to go to the shop in Disneyland Hotel. I went there on my way out of the park at 7pm and managed to get a really good pin. It may have been pot luck but the pins on the lanyards were not the same pins I saw in many of the shops in the parks
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

polar vixen

we found the staff in harringtons had tge best pins for trading.  also if you're there over tge weekend tge pin trading post near cowboy cookout has a board I  which you can trade equal caddie pins. 

Del_Stuart

Thanks for the info guy , especially the very detailed post from tink.

Mainly it's just for the kids to have another thing to do in the park so unlike people who trade I don't think I'm too bothered about scrappers as long as they get something there happy with as they don't really know any different.

The only have 5-6 pins they wouldn't want to trade so they can't wait to get swapping!

fairymom

They had pin trading bags in a shop on Main St. It was one a small shoulder bag and had all compartments in it for holding pins in.
We only began our collection last month. I'd say in a couple of years when the collection has built,  the kids will start teaching. It's not something that interests me as all my pounds mean something to me.

Ohana

I considered buying a cheap starter pack this time with some pins I wouldn't want, to then trade, but I don't know how it works, I wasn't sure if cast members could turn down a trade if they've got an amazing pin and I'm offering a rubbishy one - I saw a guy working in IASW with with a pin of baymax dressed as jack skellington though and I really considered trying to trade with him - wish I had now!
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

daddyof2

CM's are only meant to be able to refuse a trade if you're offering a duplicate of a pin they already have. Otherwise, provided it's a genuine one they shouldn't say no

Puffin

Has anyone been to the trading events? I see there's one coming up the 27th of May at Sequoia Lodge, but don't find any other info on what to expect. I've also heard these events sell out, but I don't find any info on how to buy tickets.
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay ● august 2019 hotel cheyenne

div129

I've been watching a lot of pin videos on YouTube, and seen that the American parks do pin mystery boxes, ie., you pay a set price for a box that contains up to 5 pins that are part of a series, but you don't know what pins you're going to get until you've opened it. Does anyone know if anywhere in DLP happens to sell anything like these?

jacmurphy

Pin trading in Harringtons 6-7pm every day except Sunday i think
May 2015 Explorer
Sept 2015 B&B (Old one)
Dec 2015 Davy Crockett
March 2016 Davy Crockett
June 2016 New B&B
Sept 2016 New B&B
Nov 2016 Hotel Cheyenne
Feb 2017 Sequoia Lodge