First Ever Trip Report - Part 1

Started by 15stitch, May 13, 2016, 04:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

15stitch

I've really enjoyed ready about others experiences so thought I would have a go at doing one myself.  On this trip is myself and my 3 year old Mickey Mouse mad son, Harrison.

I hope you enjoy it!  I will try and add some photo's.   

I have been to DLP many times and this was our second trip together.

Our adventure started on the Sunday 1st May with a trip to Leeds Castle on route to Ashford.  I'd never been before but we both had a great time.  Harrison loved the road train and ran around the maze pretending to be a train for a good hour! 

We left there about 3.45 and drove down to the Premier Inn in Ashford.  As always with the Premier Inn it was clean and comfortable with the most amazing mattress on the bed!

I had booked a table at the next door Beefeater for 5.30 but as we were both tired I thought I would try to get in early so we ventured across at 5pm.  I had (stupidly) assumed it would be quiet in there but it was absolutely packed and to make matters worse they had no record of our booking.  He told me to get a drink at the bar and he should have a table free in about 10 minutes.  Luckily they found us one quickly and we had a lovely dinner (the first of many chicken nuggets, fries and ice cream for Harrison over the week!!!).   We then went back to the hotel for a good night's sleep. 

Harrison woke up at 5am and I persuaded him to go back to sleep for a while.  At 6am however he decided he really was wide awake so he came in bed with me for a bit and we watched TV.   After giving him a bath and getting dressed we went for breakfast and then finished packing and headed to the station.   I had pre-booked parking in the multi storey so it was an easy walk across to the station.

Everyone was really helpful and friendly and I was thoroughly impressed with all the staff (it's not always the easiest juggling a pushchair, rucksack, case and toddler!)  A cleaner in the car park literally ran across to help us with the doors.  Fantastic service!

The staff at the Disney Counter were brilliant.  They had Harrison sitting on one of their stools behind the counter 'helping' them.    Great start to the holiday. 

The train arrived on time (just before 11am) and the staff again were excellent.  A guy took Harrison to find our seats while a lady helped me get the luggage etc on board.    We were travelling leisure select and our breakfast arrived straight away.  The breakfast wasn't great (a roll, croissant and yogurt) but Harrison enjoyed it. 

Harrison had a sleep on the train so I had a chance to read my book and before we knew it we had arrived in Disney (the train only takes 2 hours from Ashford).  First stop was to check in our luggage at Disney Express and then it was fun time!   Harrison was literally jumping for joy when we came out of the station.   Our first stop was lunch!  We went to Rainforest CafĂ©.

In the entrance area of the restaurant I made the mistake of pointing out the snake that was hanging down from the ceiling to Harrison.  He likes pretending to be a snake so I though he would appreciate it.  Big mistake!   Bless him he shouted 'no mummy come away quick there is a snake'.   I loved the fact he was trying to save me!  Anyway we got over that and had a lovely lunch.   

After lunch it was time to head to the hotel!  We stayed in Newport Bay.  I usually stay in Hotel New York but I fancied a change.

The hotel is stunning.  They have done a really good job with the renovations.  The only thing that wasn't finished (as far as I can see) was the shop.   I had only 2 criticisms with the hotel.  Firstly the wifi didn't work at all the whole time I was there and secondly it's such a pain having to get a lift up to reception and then having to talk through reception to get another lift to get to your room.  But other than that it was amazing.   

Our room was ready by now (I didn't check the time but it must have been just past 3) and we headed straight too it.    We both thought it was amazing.  Harrison loved finding the 'hidden' mickey's.  It was spotlessly clean and I loved (sad I know) the personalised welcome message on the TV screen.   There was more crazy, excited dancing at how great the room was (from both of us I have to admit  :D )

We had only been in the room about 5 minutes when the concierge bought our bag to the room.  I sorted out the pushchair and my park bag and we headed off to the magic!   Frist stop was the Disney Store to get some new Minnie ears (I left mine at home oops!), a cap for Harrison, Photo pass, and an autograph book and pen.

In all my previous trips I had never before got an autograph book but as you will see later it proved a big holiday hit.
Next it was straight to Magic Kingdom.  I must admit I was saddened by Fantasia Gardens being boarded off (even though I was expecting it).  But I was determined to overlook it and so I did and Harrison enjoyed pointing out all the character silhouettes they have painted on it. 

I think it was about 4.30pm by the time we reached the park and our first stop in the park was buzz lightyear.  Always good fun and the wait was only about 10 minutes. 

After that we went on Autopia.  Quite unbelievably I had never been on this in DLP!  Harrison absolutely loved 'steering' and this was a surprise major hit of the holiday.

After that we headed to Fantasyland for the obligatory 'It's a small World'.  I adore this ride and they have re-painted it and freshened it up since our last trip so it's looking great.    Next stop was 'Pirates'.  As we were walking in Harrison said 'pirates I've missed you'.  Very cute.  We went on this and then headed for some dinner.  We ended up in Hakuna Matata and had chicken and fries.  By then we were both shattered so headed back to the hotel to get some sleep after an excellent first day!
1995 WDW (offsite)
1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
2001 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2002 DLP (Hotel New York)
2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2004 WDW (offsite)
2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2006 WDW (Grand Floridian)
2007 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)
2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge)
April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)

disneymagic006

Really enjoying reading your trip report.  Looking forward to the next part. My son was 1 when we last visited but will be 3 when we go next year. It's lovely to hear how magic the place is at that age.
1992 - Newport Bay
1994 - Newport Bay
1997 - Sequoia Lodge
1999 - Davy Crockett
2002 - Santa Fe
2005 - Davy Crockett
2008 - Santa Fe
2010 - Sequoia Lodge (January)
2010 - Newport Bay (August)
2015 - Cheyenne
2017 - Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest stay booked for 5 nights July 2017. Excited for the 25th Anniversary!

jeakat24

Fab trip report so far. Your son sounds adorable!
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

Lavi

Great start of the TR! Looking forward for the rest of it!

Disney Matt

I miss reading trip reports on here!
Yours is off to a fab start 😊 Can't wait to read more!
Hotel Santa Fe - 95 / Dream Castle - Jul 07 / Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 09 / Hotel Santa Fe - Dec 12 / Sequoia Lodge - Dec 14 / Sequoia Lodge - Feb 16 / Newport Bay Club - Halloween 16 / Newport Bay Club - Feb 17