How much spending money do you take for merch?

Started by Stacykg, May 03, 2016, 02:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stacykg

OK second post first trip to DLP. I am going on a 4 night 5 day stay, with a full sized suitcase and holdall each so plenty of room for goodies. And we are going eurostar so any shopping bags on the last day can (i assume) be carried onto the train with us.
My question is, how much spending money would you take for a trip that long? We are going to be picking up a few christmas presents while we are there, but I am mainly after the collectors stuff, like snowglobes, ornamental shoes, figurines and plushes (as well as star wars stuff!) how much should I aim for? This is an adult trip so no kids wanting everything in every shop, just me wanting everything in every shop :)
I will point out meals are paid for it is just money for spending and the odd bottle of water/hot drink.

stifle

Why not just withdraw money as and when you need it or use your debit or credit card? There are multiple ATMs around the park and all the stores and restaurants other than the smallest snack carts accept plastic. You won't need to stress about losing cash or having it stolen, and with certain credit or debit cards you won't be charged any commission or foreign exchange fees. Way better than taking wads of cash or faffing with prepaid cards and their junk fees.

bad-pink-tink

the way I budget for merchandise is

1. I have a theme for my merchandise. I only buy Tinkerbell, and Pirates related items.
2. I shop for specific items, ie unusual or park specific items which fit with my collections
3. I usually have a set budget per day for merchandise. Any money left over at the end of the day gets set aside for the end of the trip.
4. I set a budget and items per person for presents to bring home. For example one of my friends collects pins, so I had decided this year her present would be a DLP  lanyard and DLP specific pins

With having a daily budget, it makes it easier to decide whether to splurge on one expensive item or multiple more reasonably priced items.

Everyone's budget is different, so what may be affordable to one may be far too much for another, but I hope this helps
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

Slimy yet satisfying

That's difficult. It depends on your budget and what is available. We've been and spent loads on limited edition framed pins but still wanted more. Other times there has been little to excite us so have come home almost empty handed. It is a bit hit and miss, although if you like mugs and plushes there will always be something!
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

billy

i cant say in regards to merch as like everyone else has said it depends on what you want. while we were there we found some of the merc especially the clothes really expensive but we did notice that some of the shops in the village were cheaper than in the parks and be careful as certain shops stock only certain merch for example i wanted a pirates mickey and i could only get it next to poc ride!
we were there for 5 nights and 6 days and spent 100€ on drinks so remember to budget that in, and make sure you take advantage of the shopping service if you are staying at disney hotel. buy all your goodies before 12 and you can collect them from your hotel shop saves  you dragging them around. we did find one shop next to ratatouille that let us buy on our first night and had them delivered the next day!
happy shopping!

Ohana

I found watching dlp haul videos on YouTube helped a lot for price ranges and what they sell. We took just over €1000 for two of us in November and that paid for our meals for 5 days too, although I do like to spend a lot. I ended up with so many souvenirs but it was worth it, got so many nik naks and memories around the flat :)

Also take into consideration if you want a drink here or there, they are very expensive.
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel