Anyone who experienced EuroDisney's early years nightmare ?

Started by Mtlchuck, April 14, 2016, 06:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

15stitch

There was a better 'buzz' about the place in the earlier years.

Far more characters and entertainment.  The first time I went there was a California themed event and I remember loads of dancers and music and an amazing atmosphere.

I still love DLP now, its just a bit different somehow.
1995 WDW (offsite)
1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
2001 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2002 DLP (Hotel New York)
2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2004 WDW (offsite)
2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2006 WDW (Grand Floridian)
2007 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)
2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge)
April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)

A&S&O

Quote from: 15stitch on April 18, 2016, 12:24:50 PM

Far more characters and entertainment.  The first time I went there was a California themed event and I remember loads of dancers and music and an amazing atmosphere.

Do you think it was because it was more "American" then, but has now been subdued to match European tastes?

Or is it just financial cuts?
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

disneymagic006

I remember lots more characters around. Kids meals came in cute boxes with mickey cutlery.Everything was a lot brighter looking. There were passenger boats and pedaloes on Lake Disney. Actual tea and coffee making facilities in the bedrooms. The gorgeous electrical parade. The main parade seemed to run a few times a day. You could get a shuttle bus to Davy Crockett Ranch. Mickey shaped balloons in all colours. Barber shop quartets and brass bands regularly played and entertained guests. Disney village had a nightclub called hurricanes.

There is quite a lot that's changed. But a lot has changed for the better too. We have lots of new attractions now and the Studios park. I agree that the language barrier is easier now too.
1992 - Newport Bay
1994 - Newport Bay
1997 - Sequoia Lodge
1999 - Davy Crockett
2002 - Santa Fe
2005 - Davy Crockett
2008 - Santa Fe
2010 - Sequoia Lodge (January)
2010 - Newport Bay (August)
2015 - Cheyenne
2017 - Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest stay booked for 5 nights July 2017. Excited for the 25th Anniversary!

15stitch

Quote from: A&S&O on April 18, 2016, 12:35:26 PM
Quote from: 15stitch on April 18, 2016, 12:24:50 PM

Do you think it was because it was more "American" then, but has now been subdued to match European tastes?

Or is it just financial cuts?

It's difficult to say but I would suspect its ultimately due to financial cuts.   
1995 WDW (offsite)
1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
2001 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2002 DLP (Hotel New York)
2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2004 WDW (offsite)
2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2006 WDW (Grand Floridian)
2007 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)
2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge)
April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)

Mtlchuck

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Sadly this loss of magic doesnt originate in Paris, but rather in the USA. I have such fond memories of WDW in the 90s and early 2000s. I visited last time in 2012 and I was so disappointed. Merchandise has been reduced to the same pretty much everywhere (Jack Skellington at Pirates, same mugs everywhere...) and the change of cutlery and napkins not even to a generic WDW motif, but a generic DISNEY PARKS MOTIF.

flickmcktur

I disagree with what the majority are saying here we went in Christmas in 1996 or 1997 for the first time (it was during the 5 year celebration).

I was 15/16 my two cousins were young kids like 6 and 8 and the trip was the worst we ever had.

I remember the food being terrible like I didn't want to eat it.

The service in general wasn't good and I noticed that as a teenager!!

I saw characters get pissy at people, snatch autograph books and refuse to sign stuff but we personally didn't have those problems.

We had to wait for hours and hours for our photo with Mickey.

We had one guy in a ghostly type costume outside haunted manor chase my youngest cousin away from the ride and keep pestering her even though she was crying and shaking. I had to threaten him slap to get him to go away. We weren't even that close to the ride.

I also had a few negative experiences with cast members braking character to hit on me but most of them backed off when I scowled and got annoyed with them.

I have really bad memories of Gideon and Pluto however they really couldn't take a hint and were both very handsy.

At the time I didn't tell anyone I brushed it off it wasn't the first time people in costumes had been weird with me. Pudsey bear had been way more inappropriate and lets not even go there with the blackpool beaver. I just put it down to boys being a bit over keen.

But this was Disney it was supposed to be different and I left feeling bitterly disappointed. The food was terrible it and the whole park lacked that magic feeling,

Admittedly I think I was particularly unlucky on my trip. I didn't return to the park for 10 years that's how bad an experience it was for me.

I love Disney and I love theme parks but my hubby had to talk me into going back when our kids were small (we couldn't afford florida) and I'm so glad he did.

We had the most amazing holiday everything was well done and on point. We have been back loads since we have had annual passes a few times and never had a bad trip since.

loupenny

Does anyone remember being met off of the eurostar by characters? I'm so sure this happened! It was the most magical arrival ever  :D
In the past - Disneyland Hotel, New York, New Port Bay (DLP) Caribbean Beach (WDW) and AP holder at Tokyo Disney.
Recent Years - Kyriad - 2011
Santa Fe - 2015
Dream Castle, B&B hotel, Air BnBs - 2017

fletchsta4

I went on the opening day and the following year too. I was about 9 at the time so memories are foggy. I still have some of the cutlery and napkins as I did a scrapbook.
The characters just wandered about, Captain Hook sneaked up on me at skull rock and was chasing Peter pan.
I remember the brass band too. And there was a show which had loads of characters singing and dancing (think it was called 'feel the magic'.

disneymagic006

That show was amazing! It was at the Fantasyland Stage which had a load of benches in front of it (now mickeys house) and you could also view from tables at Toad Hall. They themed the show around the parks and rides and characters.  Some of the bits I remember  (possibly only because we caught some of if on home video):

The phantom from the manor appearing between mirrors with dry ice making the stage look eerie.

Toon town dancing with Scrooge mcduck, Launchpad and Bonkers.

Mickey and Minnie in Italian carnival dress up, dancing and then riding a gondola with a song/overture saying Amour, Love.

Chip and Dale in spacesuits and hooked up to wires which made them fly - they sang a faster funky mix up of its a small world and you can fly.

Dancers in blue costumes did a section with the characters and it included songs like I've got no strings with pinocchio.

The finale had everyone on stage - all the characters and dancers. They launched tons of confetti over everything and there was a special song where they sang the lyrics "Euro disneyland" and something like "where dreams come true". Though i do not remember the lyrics exactly the tune is still in my head and I remember really connecting with this and thinking that this really is a magical amazing place.

Thanks for reminding me of this. Been lovely to think back.
1992 - Newport Bay
1994 - Newport Bay
1997 - Sequoia Lodge
1999 - Davy Crockett
2002 - Santa Fe
2005 - Davy Crockett
2008 - Santa Fe
2010 - Sequoia Lodge (January)
2010 - Newport Bay (August)
2015 - Cheyenne
2017 - Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest stay booked for 5 nights July 2017. Excited for the 25th Anniversary!

glenn

Quote from: disneymagic006 on June 18, 2016, 06:33:05 AM
That show was amazing! It was at the Fantasyland Stage which had a load of benches in front of it (now mickeys house) and you could also view from tables at Toad Hall. They themed the show around the parks and rides and characters.  Some of the bits I remember  (possibly only because we caught some of if on home video):

The phantom from the manor appearing between mirrors with dry ice making the stage look eerie.

Toon town dancing with Scrooge mcduck, Launchpad and Bonkers.

Mickey and Minnie in Italian carnival dress up, dancing and then riding a gondola with a song/overture saying Amour, Love.

Chip and Dale in spacesuits and hooked up to wires which made them fly - they sang a faster funky mix up of its a small world and you can fly.

Dancers in blue costumes did a section with the characters and it included songs like I've got no strings with pinocchio.

The finale had everyone on stage - all the characters and dancers. They launched tons of confetti over everything and there was a special song where they sang the lyrics "Euro disneyland" and something like "where dreams come true". Though i do not remember the lyrics exactly the tune is still in my head and I remember really connecting with this and thinking that this really is a magical amazing place.

Thanks for reminding me of this. Been lovely to think back.

glenn

That show was called en scene si,l vous plait,great show.
You can see the whole show if you just type in the shows name

Sugaroo_

The first time we went was in 2010, so not that long ago, and we had a Mickey burger in the Studios - the bun and patty shaped like a Mickey head - and I just thought it was the coolest thing ever, I was at Disneyland woot! ;D Then we went back in 2011 and the Mickey burgers were gone, just plain burgers. We were so bummed. It's silly and trivial, it's only a hamburger, but it added to the overall experience. You know? Sometimes the magic is in the details. It's a shame they have to sacrifice some of it for budget cuts.   
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

Thaliel

something from our first visit (1996-ish, I have bad memory) that we miss somewhat was the good morning main street parade...nit that we would be able to get up early enough to see it nowadays, but it was somewhat cute to see all the people pass by and greet the visitors
<-Plz click