Tips for going alone with 4 year old

Started by sue81, April 05, 2016, 09:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sue81

Hi, my son and I are heading to disneyland paris next month (very excited) but I am getting a little nervous about it being just us.
We are flying into CDG and then hopefully getting the magical shuttle to stay at the Kyriad the first night. We will then be moving to Sequoia Lodge to stay there for 4 nights. I will probably have one big suitcase, hand luggage and a buggy.
Has anyone got any tips for getting around the airport and getting to the shuttle etc with just one pair of adult hands?
Also any other tips for doing the parks with one adult? I've been a few times before but usually with people.
Thank you

15stitch

Hi,

I'm also going next month on my own with my 3 year old!

I went last year when he was 2 on my own also.

We travel by Eurostar so I can't offer any airport specific advice I'm afraid but generally I'd say the following: -

- travel as light as you can (and this comes from the world's worst light packer!)
- don't turn down offers of help!  I found people amazingly helpful and kind. If they see you are on your own and struggling, people often step in (and I am really bad at asking for help!)

I didn't have any problems in the parks at all.  My son would generally have a nap in his pushchair in the afternoon and I loved that hour just wandering around soaking in the atmosphere and looking around the shops. 

Enjoy!!!

1995 WDW (offsite)
1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
2001 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2002 DLP (Hotel New York)
2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2004 WDW (offsite)
2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2006 WDW (Grand Floridian)
2007 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)
2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge)
April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)

sue81

Quote from: 15stitch on April 05, 2016, 10:03:50 AM
Hi,

I'm also going next month on my own with my 3 year old!

I went last year when he was 2 on my own also.

We travel by Eurostar so I can't offer any airport specific advice I'm afraid but generally I'd say the following: -

- travel as light as you can (and this comes from the world's worst light packer!)
- don't turn down offers of help!  I found people amazingly helpful and kind. If they see you are on your own and struggling, people often step in (and I am really bad at asking for help!)

I didn't have any problems in the parks at all.  My son would generally have a nap in his pushchair in the afternoon and I loved that hour just wandering around soaking in the atmosphere and looking around the shops. 

Enjoy!!!

Thanks 15stitch! I'm wishing I'd booked eurostar now as thats usually the way I've been before but the flight prices were too good to turn down  :o
I'm really hoping he has a nap at some point so I can have a wonder around the shops etc.
As the park is open until quite late I am planning on making use of the pool at sequoia in the afternoon at some point.
Once I'm there i'll be fine its just the unknown of the airport and shuttle at the moment :-\

billy

if you are unsure of the shuttle why dont you book a private transfer they will pick u up at arrivals and drop you back off at the departure gate, it may be a bit more expensive but for the extra piece of mind and help with luggage etc i would say it was worth it. Try Iris Shuttle they were great with us and it was door to door service.

sue81

Quote from: billy on April 05, 2016, 10:17:44 AM
if you are unsure of the shuttle why dont you book a private transfer they will pick u up at arrivals and drop you back off at the departure gate, it may be a bit more expensive but for the extra piece of mind and help with luggage etc i would say it was worth it. Try Iris Shuttle they were great with us and it was door to door service.

For 2 people the private shuttles are just so expensive from the ones I have found anyway.
The magical shuttle works out to be €72 (approx £58) for the 2 of us and return.
What sort of price is Iris Shuttle?

jeakat24

i would suggest, if you haven't thought of it already, of using a backpack as your hand luggage instead of a normal bag. That way you can keep your hands free for everything else. It will also come in handy for the parks too
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

ZoeG

The Magic Shuttle is great, its right outside the terminal when you arrive. Packing light is a defo, and bear in mind the hotels have a laundrette so you can do a mid trip clothes was, its very cheap as well. You get the laundrette tokens at the hotel shop. You are allowed to take water bottles in so keep refilling there to save cash. The water is fine to drink, bottled water is a fortune in the park otherwise. The Shuttle also drops you right at your hotel!

sue81

I'm thinking about getting the TGV - can't believe its under 10 mins to DLP!! It looks like it will be about the same in price as the magical shuttle as well.
AHHHHH too many decisions!
Does anyone know how difficult it would be to navigate getting to the station & on the train? We fly into Terminal 2D.

rebecca20

I wouldn't personally get the TGV if you're alone with a little one as they can be busy and it's extra hassle for you on your own (it only saves like 25 minutes). It's fine with an older child that can handle their own bag etc but I personally wouldn't fancy doing it with an under 7.

Plus once you get to the resort you need to walk or get another shuttle to your hotel which I find takes a good 10 minutes.

As for everything else - I don't know pushchair airport procedures i.e. if you check them in or not but it's easy to find the shuttle and someone will usually help with your suitcase once you get to the bus.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

sue81

Quote from: rebecca20 on April 05, 2016, 01:30:04 PM
I wouldn't personally get the TGV if you're alone with a little one as they can be busy and it's extra hassle for you on your own (it only saves like 25 minutes). It's fine with an older child that can handle their own bag etc but I personally wouldn't fancy doing it with an under 7.

Plus once you get to the resort you need to walk or get another shuttle to your hotel which I find takes a good 10 minutes.

As for everything else - I don't know pushchair airport procedures i.e. if you check them in or not but it's easy to find the shuttle and someone will usually help with your suitcase once you get to the bus.

Thanks for the advice rebecca20, thats what was putting me off the TGV trying to get around with a buggy and suitcase.

stifle

I will break with tradition and suggest that in your particular circumstances a private transfer is going to be the easiest by far. You will be met outside the arrivals hall by your driver and taken directly to your hotel. No need to struggle with buses, trains, etc.

billy

Quote from: sue81 on April 05, 2016, 10:31:01 AM

For 2 people the private shuttles are just so expensive from the ones I have found anyway.
The magical shuttle works out to be €72 (approx £58) for the 2 of us and return.

We paid 120€ for 4 of us, but it meant I didnt have to worry about where to go when we arrived, we went straight to our hotel. there was a car seat for the little and we ran a couple of minutes late on the return i simply sent them a text and they waited for us and took us directly to the departure gate at the airport which in itself was worth the money. This was a much cheaper option for us rather than the magic shuttle as it was coming out at nearly 200€ for the 4 of us.

sue81

Quote from: billy on April 06, 2016, 08:56:01 AM
Quote from: sue81 on April 05, 2016, 10:31:01 AM

We paid 120€ for 4 of us, but it meant I didnt have to worry about where to go when we arrived, we went straight to our hotel. there was a car seat for the little and we ran a couple of minutes late on the return i simply sent them a text and they waited for us and took us directly to the departure gate at the airport which in itself was worth the money. This was a much cheaper option for us rather than the magic shuttle as it was coming out at nearly 200€ for the 4 of us.

Thanks for the info billy, i will have a look into it.

billy

i would also recommend as someone did before me taking rucksacks as hand luggage that way the little one can carry the stuff they want and you have one had for him and one for the suitcase :)

fairymom

First time I took the kids they were 3 and 5 and I was on my own!
Rucksack on your back and if your buggy has 2 handles (not a bar) then you can hook the handle of a trolley suitcase over one of them so the buggy will pull the trolley.

We also got a shuttle.. totally worth the money!

You'll be fine, don't stress getting on and off things, people will be patient and wait, or help. I had people both ways carrying my bags onto the plane for me. Just random passengers.