Camera?

Started by Ohana, January 02, 2016, 03:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohana

Hello everyone! I've recently been considering buying a new camera to take to DLP. In November I took my Sony H200 Bridge camera, and I don't know if it's just my particular camera, but I don't think it takes good quality photos at all, they seem really grainy and poor quality. Maybe that's just because I don't use it properly, but there is a heck of a lot of settings on it, it's difficult to actually find one that is good enough :/

As a result I was using my iphone, which somehow takes better photos than a costly bridge camera. Because of this I was having to make sure my phone was fully charged every morning, and take a portable charger along to the parks too. I also had to load up all of my photos onto the laptop every single night as there wasn't enough room on my 8gb phone for the sheer amount of photos I was taking. It was also pretty shocking in low light conditions/night time. Such as Disney Dreams and the late Magic on Parade.

So basically, I want a nice camera that costs less than £150 (and preferably less than £120) that will take good quality photos, particularly in low light and night time conditions. A camera without too many fancy settings to confuse me, but that will take the same, preferably better, quality photos as the iphone 5c (it does actually take decent photos). HD video might also be nice :)

What does everyone else use? What can you all recommend from experience? I really don't want a disappointment like my previous camera haha.

Thanks everyone!
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

nathalie

I tink if you wiggle around with the settings a bit, you won't have to spend another 150 £  ;)
But that's just my opinion.
I'm always complaining how some take better pics with their iPhone then I do with my Nikon bridge model that costed well over 150 £ haha, but I'm pretty sure I'm the reason for why that's happening, haha

To answer your question, Nikon has some pretty good compact camera's for not that much money, so does Limux/Panasonic, with far less settings on them and take great pictures.
(I'm not really familiar with other brands)

fly_with_me_dumbo

i just bought my mum a canon powershot for £90 from argos its really good and so simple, it has image stabilization which I think is important for photos at night! theres videos of it on the argos site too, its really light and small, looks like a more pro camera, but isnt at all, my mum just uses it on auto! has video too but shes not used that yet
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3776142.htm

But I agree I bet if you play around with your camera maybe look up on basic camera settings you'll get some good shots, always practice before you go so your not let down when you get there! I've been there  with new lenses etc, not used them till Ive gone on holiday then not got the results I wanted :)

Komble

My boyfriend got me a Canon IXUS 275 HS for Christmas to use on our upcoming trip - its supposed to have great lowlight and I'm pleased with it so far :D it's relatively cheap, too. Check out some reviews, it could end up on your shortlist...

Edit: I think he got it from Very.co.uk (it is £99 but they also offer a 20% off code...)

grovesie

The grainy effect , noise as it is called, will be more present when shooting in low light with a high ISO( sensitivity) I would always try to learn your cameras functions and gain general experience over a new camera.

If I were to buy a new camera I would aim for a DSLR. CEX have a Nikon d3000 second hand with a nice lens for the money you are looking to spend. Whats more they offer 24 month guarantees with most products. This camera has an auto mode which will give good results. Make sure the camera or lens has image stabilization, Nikon call this VR. The good thing with a DSLR is as your experience grows you can change lenses etc.

With a little self teaching you will be able to master the controls and adapt your cameras to most conditions as I have, the images below have been taken with a camera similar the one I have mentioned above and all hand held.

Xmas Decs by grovesie.i, on Flickr

Autopia by grovesie.i, on Flickr

Nemo 5 by grovesie.i, on Flickr

Good Luck

Ian

DLPZest

Maybe check out some YouTube videos or articles on low-light photography with a compact camera first, before deciding on buying a new camera? Admittedly, some of them may be a bit too technical if you're not all that interested in why your camera does what it does, but they'll give you an idea on what settings to look for on your current or new camera.

The way you hold your camera can also make a difference in sharpness, or help you shoot at lower ISO, giving you less grainy pictures. Depending on the picture, placing it on a steady object and using the self timer can also prevent camera shake.

Before deciding on a DSLR, think about whether you want to lug around a big camera all day. That said, I just upgraded my Canon 350D to a (slightly bigger and heavier) 70D, so I'm not really one to talk  ;)

Buying second hand is a good recommendation; get a better camera, whether compact or DSLR, for the same amount of money. Definitely get one with IS or VR to help prevent shaking.

Always read the manual of your camera to get the most out of it. Write down the settings that work best if you have to. It would be a real shame to miss an amazing opportunity because you're using the wrong setting or fiddling with dials/menus you're not used too.

And always try to replicate the conditions you think you'll be taking pictures/video in before going on vacation. Don't go on vacation with a camera you've only had for one day.

For example, because I wanted to shoot some video on my last trip to DLP, I borrowed my dad's Sony video camera (maybe 8 years old? Could be older) a couple of weeks before leaving. Took a couple of videos with the Sony and my 5 year old Canon Powershot SX210 at the same time, at different lighting situations. I liked the day time unedited Canon videos better, but the Sony was better in low light. Decided to bring the Canon with me in the end and the Dreams video didn't turn out too bad (there's lots of light anyway).

samuelvictor

Lots of good advice above on getting good shots.

I'm a little confused that a recent bridge camera for £200 wasn't taking good shots on the automatic settings - most bridge cameras have larger sensors than compacts, so let in more light & should have less grain etc... but it may be that that particular model is overpriced/underpowered...

As others have said, a DSLR is a very good option. You can get cameras worth £500+ for around £200 if you use ebay/cex etc.

At DLRP last visit I took a Canon 600D with the kit lens and a "nifty fifty" prime (about £250 on ebay if you are lucky/patient), and got fantastic results for both stills and video. Any Canon in that range (ie has EOS written on it and a "D" in the name) is a good bet... I have also had great results with a Nikon D3000 which falls into the similar price as the 550D/600D/650D/700D etc.

All Canon & Nikon DSLRs that I have used have excellent "auto" settings so you don't really need to learn how to use them. Just make sure that whatever lens you use has decent auto-focus and image stabilization :)