Height Restrictions

Started by DisneyM79, February 01, 2016, 09:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisneyM79

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the height restrictions on all of the rides in both DLP parks?
My 4 year old daughter is very small for her age and i'm worried she may miss out on a lot. :(
Obviously I know she won't go on the bigger rides or rollercoasters so its more for rides like Dumbo, Buzz Lightyear, Slinky dog ride, Crush's coaster etc etc

Thank you
'Have Courage and Be Kind'

rebecca20

http://www.dlpguide.com/planning/advice/ride-restrictions/

They are very very lenient on these in my opinion. I would say too much so and not from a safety point of view but more that a child that small isn't likely to want to go on a bigger ride and will be too scared and have to leave (seen it multiple times with ToT).
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

twentythingamabobs

Quote from: rebecca20 on February 01, 2016, 09:39:25 PM
http://www.dlpguide.com/planning/advice/ride-restrictions/

They are very very lenient on these in my opinion. I would say too much so and not from a safety point of view but more that a child that small isn't likely to want to go on a bigger ride and will be too scared and have to leave (seen it multiple times with ToT).

Sheesh you're not wrong about ToT - seen countless little bubs coming off there in hysterics! Just cos they can ride doesn't mean they should!

Zee79

Totally agree, I think pressure is often put on the child to ride them both by parents, family members & peers. My eldest has always been a complete adrenalin junkie not scared at all. I was past myself when she went on TOT aged 7 ( I didn't go on, even when I could ride these rides there was no way I was going in an elevator that drops- one of my fears!) She absolutely loved it. When my nephew became 7 he decided to go on & hated it, my youngest (age 9) wants to go on these things but just darent & I certainly don't make her. She was brave & went on the pirate ship at flamingo land & came off in floods of tears, her cousin called her so much for it which is where the problem can lie. I told her she tried it so gave it a go & doesn't like it.

DisneyM79 Your daughter will be fine on dumbo, buzz & slinky because an adult is with her & these are children's rides, pirates, IASW, snow white & the liks, flying carpets should be OK. Crush it will depend on height but also if you think she could handle it, it does spin & goes fast-ish, I wouldnt go on because of the spin.

haribosmum

My very tall 8 year old will be going on ToT for the first time in a few weeks, she's been tall enough for the last 2 visits but I've said no.  She's tried Crush the last 2 visits as well but only did it the once each time as didn't love it.  Is going to try it again this time though, but all on her own decision.

I am currently having this 'discussion' with husband about our nearly 2 year old.  he is tall enough for parachute drop but I feel he's too young to understand what's going on with it, whereas husband thinks he'll love it.  I think I'll win and will wait till next years visit!

Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

Karen101

It's such a hard thing isn't it ? I've seen so many kids in floods coming off things just because their parents want them to give it a shot ...

My daughter was 5 when we were in DLP the last time was tall enough for ToT I wasn't sure but she wanted to do it and she did and she loved it .... On the flip side she tried and hated big thunder mountain lol so gosh only knows what she will want to do when we go in July.

She is very tall for her age so has no problems with height restrictions ...so we shall ... She's expressed interest in space mountain but it recommends over 10s so I imagine I'll have to talk her out of it lol

billy

DisneyM79 Your daughter will be fine on dumbo, buzz & slinky because an adult is with her & these are children's rides, pirates, IASW, snow white & the liks, flying carpets should be OK. Crush it will depend on height but also if you think she could handle it, it does spin & goes fast-ish, I wouldnt go on because of the spin.
[/quote]
What about Ratouille, it looks great in the video but would you say it was ok for a slightly squemish 5 year old? it's mainly if it goes too fast or suddenly drops she is used to doing family friendly roller coasters but as you cant see the ride before you go on it i'm a little concerned as once you are on it there is no getting off! lol

15stitch

I took my 2 year old on Ratouille last year and he loved it!  I on the other hand came off feeling really quite sick! There are no drops or anything but it does spin a bit.

Crush is quite intense and does spin and drop.  I probably wouldn't take a 5 year old on it unless you were really confident that they like rollercoaster type rides and spinning fast!
1995 WDW (offsite)
1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
2001 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2002 DLP (Hotel New York)
2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2004 WDW (offsite)
2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2006 WDW (Grand Floridian)
2007 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)
2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge)
April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)

seraphelle

My eldest loves all the scarier rides. I used to when I was a kid but now? No way! If it goes round and round or upside down, its Daddy's turn  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

twentythingamabobs

Crush is a difficult one as it looks like such a tame little ride from the short outside bit you can see so I'd imagine it would be hard to dissuade kids from riding if you think they would hate it. It's really an intense ride! I was terrified first time I went on because it is so disorientating you dont know if you're going forwards, backwards, are up a wall... I would have bet my life we had went upside down at one point.

seraphelle

Quote from: twentythingamabobs on February 02, 2016, 11:34:19 AM
Crush is a difficult one as it looks like such a tame little ride from the short outside bit you can see so I'd imagine it would be hard to dissuade kids from riding if you think they would hate it. It's really an intense ride! I was terrified first time I went on because it is so disorientating you dont know if you're going forwards, backwards, are up a wall... I would have bet my life we had went upside down at one point.

And that's exactly why I've only done it once!  ;D
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

twentythingamabobs

Haha ahh Seraphelle, I am now a rollercoaster adrenaline junkie! For which ToT and Crush are completely to blame  ;D

haribosmum

Crush is also a funny one as I think you have a different experience whether you're facing forward or backwards.  One way ok, other way a bit more intense - but I can't remember which way round!

My daughter loved Big Thunder Mountain aged 5 and didn't like it age 6! 

I took my niece on Space Mountain aged 10 and nephew on ToT age 11 (same holiday) and both came off their ride shaking and unable to walk properly.  Though by the time we met up with rest of group they were fine and made out there was no problem! ToT we sat down in the corridor on way out and a couple of CMs came rushing out of control room to make sure we were ok.   
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

stifle

Quote from: Karen101 on February 02, 2016, 10:12:50 AM
It's such a hard thing isn't it ? I've seen so many kids in floods coming off things just because their parents want them to give it a shot ...

My daughter was 5 when we were in DLP the last time was tall enough for ToT I wasn't sure but she wanted to do it and she did and she loved it .... On the flip side she tried and hated big thunder mountain lol so gosh only knows what she will want to do when we go in July.

She is very tall for her age so has no problems with height restrictions ...so we shall ... She's expressed interest in space mountain but it recommends over 10s so I imagine I'll have to talk her out of it lol

I would suggest Rock & Roller Coaster avec Aerosmith rather than Space Mountain which is very jolty, but I think R&RC is closed during your visit.

haribosmum

I agree with Stifle, I will happily go on  Rock & Roller coaster, the beginning is intense but I normally spend the ride giggling.  Space mountain is very shaky and I feel like I've been put through a spinner so only go on once a holiday.
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20