Hiring a car at CDG airport,

Started by Warner007, November 18, 2015, 12:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warner007

Hi guys,

We're going with a few in laws so staying at DCR for the space.
We're hiring a car as flying into CDG.
What info do we need to take as drivers for the car?

Has anyone done this option before?
Is it worth paying extra for automatic

Cheers

emsamess

We did it in 2013 and it was very easy. You needed a driving license, the booking information and your passport. As the paper part of your driving license is no longer valid, you will need to go onto the DVLA web site and get a check code. https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

I would book the car hire insurance before you go, it is much cheaper, we used a company called Questor.

The drive from CDG to DCR was very easy too.

Good luck.

Warner007

Oh yikes I have to get car insurance?i assumed it would be part of the hire agreement

stifle

It is, but the insurance that's included normally has an excess (deductible) of over a thousand. The car hire place will want to preauthorize this amount on your credit card if you don't take a higher level of insurance – and the insurance they'll sell you is very poor value.

emsamess

Sorry, I should have been clearer about the insurance, it is just for the excess and other nice to haves such as putting the wrong fuel in the car. It is only about £2.5 per day.

https://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/vehicle-hire-excess-insurance.aspx

Warner007

Warner007

Thanks for advice guys,

Another thing going through booking for the car it states a deposit or excess will be taking on a credit card.

I know seems odd but we don't have 1, can we use debit card?
& it also doesn't state how much just up to £3000.

Really don't fancy ringing the international number for info.
Both quotes we have are the same credit card, deposit etc..
Ones holiday autos and is purpleparking

Thanks again & in advance

stifle

Expect some difficulty if you're using a debit card. This is because the car hire firm will think that the reason you don't have a credit card is that you're not creditworthy enough to have one, and that therefore it will be difficult to recover the cost of damage from you in the event you were to have an accident.

Therefore, the outcome is unpredictable. They may decide they want to take a high deposit (as mentioned, up to £3,000) which you'll only get back after the car is returned and probably after waiting a week for processing. They may decide that you have to buy more insurance so that their risk is lowered. Or they may simply refuse to rent you the car. It's their car, after all, so their rules.

But I can't predict what exactly they'll want, so in summary... get a credit card (you can apply online in under 10 minutes with most banks, or if you're leaving in the very near future try somewhere like Metro Bank that issues cards on the spot), or pick up the phone to the car hire company you're using.