What are your 'Must-dos'?

Started by kazziep, January 08, 2016, 09:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kazziep

I know everyone is going to have different opinions which is great as I want a range of ideas! When in DLP what is your must-do? Whether it's ride, character meet, restaurant or experience I'd love to know to help with planning! I will be with  7, 13 and 15 year olds (as well as husband whose a little daunted by the trip!)  ;D

DLPWonders (Banned)

Characters, characters, characters.
I'm a character hunter, and I spend my days looking for them and meeting them.
The rest of the time I watch seasonal shows and parades.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

A&S&O

Numerous rides are must do's for us. Plus,
walk through the castle
go see the dragon
inspect our stone at the entrance to the park
a meal in Plaza Gardens
look at the ingenious hidden Mickey on the barrel of Space Mountain
run across the floating bridge in Adventureland
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

Ohana

We'll having only been once I can tell you my must do's for my next trip - stuff I really enjoyed last time...:

1. Space mountain, Crush, Tower of Terror - the big rides I'm excited for again. I didn't think rides would be a big part of my trip at all, I was mostly just excited for the experience, but now I am so stoked to get on these again!

2. Character meeting

3. Get to the park for 0800 for once! I didn't manage it last year so I'm determined this year to be up bright and early and up for 2 whole hours of EMH.

4. Get a good spot for dreams and stay until the park empties - both were plans for November but the cold miserable weather just did not inspire us to sit around for ages. Hopefully with it being warmer (hoping!) in May, this will be more doable.

5. Annette's diner ... Iconic as it was our first meal at dlp and it's probably one of the things were most excited for.

6. Finally, get moderately Merry on glowtinis in sports bar :)

There's so much more too but I can't have a never ending reply haha!
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

Zee79

A must do is to plan what you want to do each day. When we go we plan which day will be for which park so our first day is only half a day so we always head to Earl of Sandwich for a quick bite before heading into the studios ( this year will be a bit different because I need an annual pass so will head to discovery land to get the pass whilst the kids & hubby go on rides).
We then get everyone to decide which ride they want to do & plan our time according to that. We also take advantage of the EMH to get on some of the more popular rides.
Use fast passes wisely.

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: Zee79 on January 08, 2016, 10:15:41 AM
A must do is to plan what you want to do each day.

This I totally agree :)

I'm planning for my February trip. I type up a daily plan for each day which lists out park opening and closing times and any closures. Then I decide what times I want to eat, and book any ADR necessary. Then in the spaces between the meals I literally make a plan for ride by ride, attraction by attraction, adding in when to get Fastpasses, when to do shopping etc.

I dont do character meets and on this trip I am not planning to see any parades or shows expect for the new show in Chapperal Theatre.

My Must Do's Are

EMH
Pirates and a meal in Blue Lagoon
Star Tours
Phantom Manor
Use the hidden walkway between Fantasyland and Main Street to avoid the crowds
Buzz
Use the shopping service to send bags back to the hotel
Dragon under the Castle
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

A&S&O

Quote from: kazziep on January 08, 2016, 09:24:50 AM
I know everyone is going to have different opinions which is great as I want a range of ideas! When in DLP what is your must-do? Whether it's ride, character meet, restaurant or experience I'd love to know to help with planning! I will be with  7, 13 and 15 year olds (as well as husband whose a little daunted by the trip!)  ;D

Are you staying onsite? If so, as others have said, get to the park for 8 for EMH. Ask if you can have breakfast in the park.

We don't plan. We have an idea of what we want to do, but are totally flexible on when we do it. We fit in things around when things are quiet / busy.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

sophstar007

Basically we get there Sunday afternoon - I hope to book a table at Walts possibly parade time to see it.

On the Wednesday of our trip we have a character breakfast and Thursday lunchtime before we leave my other half has mentioned about lunch with the Princesses for my birthday  ;D

I'd love to do the Princess Pavilion, Frozen Summer Fun and Singalong Show, and the parade and Dreams one night of course. We aren't too fussed on rides but I want to do Buzz's Laser Blast, POTC, Peter Pans Flight.

We also want to eat at Annettes Diner!! And either Hakuna Matata or Colonel Hathis restaurant. Oh and try a Casey;s hot dog!!  :D

kazziep

Thank you so much for the suggestions- I'm writing lists!  :)
I do plan in as much as detail as possible- allowing for spontaneous meetings of characters of course! We went 8 years ago and I have a few ideas but it's great to get your input. So far we have booked Buffalo Bills and a Princess lunch for my youngest's Birthday (we did it for my older girl and little one has seen the photos so had to really!)
We did go in at 8 last time and had breakfast in the park but I understand you now have to pay for it from one of the takeaway places? Before, we could sit and eat- sure it was a place with Pinocchio on the front!
Keep the ideas coming please!  ;D

CentralPlazaPerson

After Disney overload, there's nothing like going for a nice walk around Lake Disney or chilling at Cafe Fantasia in the Disneyland Hotel.

msRavenswood

Ride Phantom Manor a gazillion times!  ;D

But also just strolling around the park is magical!

A&S&O

Quote from: msRavenswood on January 08, 2016, 02:39:10 PM

But also just strolling around the park is magical!

Agree - looking at everything and reading everything - at eye level, ground level and sky level!
Planning WDW 2019

rebecca20

Meet and Greets (I only do it for my favourite characters, which in DLP is Thumper and Stitch).
Rock n Rollercoaster
Small World
Buzz Lightyear
Pirates

Annette's for food!
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: kazziep on January 08, 2016, 01:13:40 PM
We did go in at 8 last time and had breakfast in the park but I understand you now have to pay for it from one of the takeaway places? Before, we could sit and eat- sure it was a place with Pinocchio on the front!
Keep the ideas coming please!  ;D

This is an OPTION that they do when the hotels are at peak capacity. Basically they use one of the restaurants in the park as an overflow for hotel guests during EMH. They do it to take the pressure off the hotel restaurants at breakfast time.

When you check in ask if this option is available during your stay. I was at DLP Christmas 2013 and we had breakfast in Plaza Gardens on Boxing Day during EMH.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

Lavi

We were offered this option when we stayed in Hotel Santa Fe in March, to have breakfast in Plaza Gardens during EMH. There was a cheerleaders event ( contest or something) and the hotels were at full capacity. However we didn't take the option as we prefered to use EMH for rides and have breakfast at 7, in the hotel. Breakfast in the park started only at 8.