Character meet and greets. Pros and Cons.

Started by sunshine1, December 14, 2015, 12:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshine1

Done 3 meets last week for whole of trip.

Christmas Mickey and Minnie

Christmas Pluto and Goofy

Santa Jack Skellington

PROS:

Couldnt believe how much time and effort each character puts into meeting each group of people, regardless of age. The characters put more effort than America (maybe as it gets so hot over there in summer) though I think American interaction is good but in DLP: Wow.

The furries that we met hugged everybody in the group especially Goofy and Pluto gave tight firm hugs.

Interaction was first class.

Had lines. No one pushed in. Good to see.

CONS:

I got no patience. Especially when it 8.15 in the morning and 5 degrees. On Tuesday we got into park at 8am. There were 2 people waiting for Mickey and Minnie. I said "Lets meet the characters the following day and hit peter pan now."

Big mistake.

Got in park 15 minutes later the following day and the line for Mickey and Minnie was 45 minutes.

I am not used to queuing for long periods in the parks. Cant do it. Wont do it. If a line for a ride more than 15-20 minutes then I walk on by. But I got in line today as they were in christmas outfits.

Why the heck do they take sooooo long with each group of people. My meets in america last of all 30 seconds. Fine by me. Hug and pic then i am gone.

Goofy and Pluto were even longer. Goofy was taking so long with people that even Pluto gestered to the handler and even tapped Goofy on the arm as if to say hurry up. Was so cold i could have had a main part in that Frozen film. Lord have mercy it was that cold.

Ended up waiting 55 mins. 55 minutes! It wasnt the amount of people. It was the time they took. They could have banged that out in 20 mins. Max.

No lie Goofy would mess around for pictures with people for a few minutes then they would get their autograph books to be signed. AHHHH. SO LONNGGGG!

Had i of known i would have only done Mickey and Minnie. BUT when it came to out turn they were magic with us.

The lines were longer for characters than the rides in the main Disneyland Park.

Wanted to meet Thumper and Miss Bunny as they rare but saw the line and couldnt face another 45 minute plus wait.

I should have remembered that in 2007 when I waited to meet Christmas Mickey it was an hour wait.

So i will remember for next time.

Unless there a few people prepare for an hour wait or dont bother.

Also Mickey and Minnie were wearing the same Christmas outfits for meet and greets at both parks so wouldnt kids be confused and question how the mice get from one park to another so quickly?

Observation about the guests. They didnt really say anything to the characters. I always make the effort and talk to them. Tell them i love their outfits, wish them a great christmas, etc but the guests at DLP just had photos, autographs and hugs. Nothing wrong with that. In America guests seem to talk to the fur characters more.

Observation about Jack Skellington. Is he not as popular in France as he is in America? 15 people were in front when we joined the line. 20 minute wait as he talked to people. Quickest wait ever compared to the previous two we did first thing this morning. First time i met him. Was magic.

DLPWonders (Banned)

Most people actually DO like the interaction.
I personally am a big character hunter. Meeting characters is all I do.
But I like the interaction. On my last trip a few weeks ago, I spend half an hour just running through Adventureland with Peter Pan.
We went through Skull Rock, we went up the hanging bridge, we ran to Aladdin and crashed his meet 'n greet etc.
Those are the moments that mean something to me, not a quick photo and go.
And I know that most people think the same way. It's not about a photo, it's about the magic behind it.

Also you really contradict yourself.
First you say that you want a quick hug pic and go and that others take too much time.
And 5 lines later you moan about other guests not interacting enough and you really make an effort to talk to them.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

nathalie

I find it odd how you say at first that characters take so much time to meet everyone.
And the when the line is too long, you say "why do they take so long with each group"   ;)

Not sure if you had a good enough look, but Mickey & Minnie don't wear the same outfits at the park & the Studio's.

Guests who don't talk to characters, well, you are in France, either you don't speak English, or you don't speak French, so I think that might be the "issue" sometimes, why people don't really talk to a character.

sunshine1

Quote from: DLRPWonders on December 14, 2015, 09:35:57 AM
Most people actually DO like the interaction.
I personally am a big character hunter. Meeting characters is all I do.
But I like the interaction. On my last trip a few weeks ago, I spend half an hour just running through Adventureland with Peter Pan.
We went through Skull Rock, we went up the hanging bridge, we ran to Aladdin and crashed his meet 'n greet etc.
Those are the moments that mean something to me, not a quick photo and go.
And I know that most people think the same way. It's not about a photo, it's about the magic behind it.

Also you really contradict yourself.
First you say that you want a quick hug pic and go and that others take too much time.
And 5 lines later you moan about other guests not interacting enough and you really make an effort to talk to them.

I wasnt moaning about people not talking to the characters. It was just an observation.

Be great if you could send some 'magic' to Pluto in Disneyland, California. Was in line to meet him then it was my turn, he didnt want to know, didnt interact or anything.
Was much nicer in DLP.

sunshine1

Quote from: nathalie on December 14, 2015, 04:01:17 PM
I find it odd how you say at first that characters take so much time to meet everyone.
And the when the line is too long, you say "why do they take so long with each group"   ;)

Not sure if you had a good enough look, but Mickey & Minnie don't wear the same outfits at the park & the Studio's.

Guests who don't talk to characters, well, you are in France, either you don't speak English, or you don't speak French, so I think that might be the "issue" sometimes, why people don't really talk to a character.

Mickey and Minnie had the same christmas outfits at the front of the studios and in Town Square.

nathalie

Maybe something was wrong then, but they should be wearing different outfits.

At the park during EMH.

At the Studio's.

Ohana

I don't mind waiting because I know I'll get a great interaction. And you really get out of it what you put in. I don't think I had a single bad experience but my favourites were chip n Dale and jack skellington :)
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

sunshine1

Quote from: nathalie on December 14, 2015, 09:21:28 PM
Maybe something was wrong then, but they should be wearing different outfits.

At the park during EMH.

At the Studio's.

Oh i see!

the red and the green all looked the same after a while.

My bad.

sunshine1

Quote from: Ohana on December 14, 2015, 09:41:12 PM
I don't mind waiting because I know I'll get a great interaction. And you really get out of it what you put in. I don't think I had a single bad experience but my favourites were chip n Dale and jack skellington :)

Jack is great isnt he.

rebecca20

I do agree they sometimes take too long - I think 2 minutes is ample time personally, plus it means more people can meet them.

I'm not a character hunter and I don't even want my photo with them just a nice photo of them. So I do find it a little frustrating. But I manage that by either going in super early or just going to my favourite characters and getting there before the characters arrive as I've found that people tend not to queue then.

I think it's a tricky one as characters don't know how into them you are so they can't really judge what to do. If I was waiting 10 minutes in a queue for one person to take a photo I would be a bit annoyed but if they were a free roaming character then that's different and wouldn't mind as much.

It also depends on the person meeting them as if you can tell they are really into the character then it's sweet if the character takes longer.

I think the lack of talking is due to language barrier problems, I do talk to fur characters but I don't have full blown conversations. I also HATE face characters and talking to those it freaks me out! Hence why Mad Hatter talking to me in the parade for a minute was a literal nightmare - I was willing him to move on.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

NCC1701Q

We (daughter (10), son (4), wife and I (41)) like the character meet-and-greets but we have found out we like characters more than face characters.
But meeting Jack was an exception (guess it's the mask) - he took his time (pro or con?  :P), talked to us and the kids and had fun with our daugters pen (of himself).
About an hour later we were sitting on the bench in front of The Lucky Nugget Saloon when he walked by with a CM, towards the Liberty Arcade. Our son was in his stroller and the CM who was with Jack was holding a basket with I guess about 30 little bags of candy (which Jack handed out after the meet-and-greet). Jack walked by, stopped, returned with the basket and said "Want some candy? Take one - take two - no take them all!" as he "poured" all the little bags all into our sons lap - and then walked on.
That was something our son still talks about - and the fact that as we were still sitting there a lot of kids who saw this happen came asking for a bag of candy and he got to hand them out, just like Jack  :D

billy

for me it is all about the character meets especially the furry ones thats what makes Disney Disney! it brings all your childhood memories to life, yes i agree the queues can be long for the meet and greets but you cant complain as when it gets to your turn they spend loads of time with you and especially peter pan and the prince from the princess and the frog they were great as my 5 yr old went all shy with the male face characters and they took the time to get a picture and to talk to her. i wouldnt change it at all just be aware next time you go what characters you want to meet and get there early! we waited 1.5 to meet Mickey and Minnie but as i waited in the queue the girls went to meet to Chip and Dale so happiness all round! :D

sunshine1

Having been back twice to DLP since this post i am now prepared to wait for up to 45 minutes to meet a character at DLP.
Waited ages for Spring Donald Duck two weeks ago. Was worth it. I showed him my Donald Duck vans rucksack. He took it off of me, put it on his shoulder and was walking up and down with it.
Well worth the wait.
I have never been bothered with face characters but made the effort to meet The Mad Hatter. He was well, mad as a cat! Great fun!

billy

I have never been bothered with face characters but made the effort to meet The Mad Hatter. He was well, mad as a cat! Great fun!
[/quote]

I agree we met him in Feb and he was excellent really made my husband's day! and when we saw him in the parade he was the same and interacting with all the people watching. great character!