Seeking confirmation about Meal Plans thoughts

Started by arvidbux, August 27, 2015, 03:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arvidbux

Hi there,

been reading through some websites, the DLP brochure and ofcourse the forum here on whether or not to get a meal plan. We have never done a meal plan at DLR but for WDW it is sure an option.

Now going back to DLP; what we have looked at is half-board Plus. Which costs; 34 euros. Looking at some of the restaurants we would go to, a fixed menu would be 36,99 (at Walt's for instance). Drinks would be charged seperatly.

As we have the Dream Annual Pass, we get 10% discount and a free non-alcoholic aperitif. 10% of 36,99 is 3,70 which brings the price of the meal to 33,29 which is less than the meal plan cost.

Now it seems to me that if you hold an AP that gives you 10% discount, it is not really worth it to go for the meal plan options (unless you do sit down every night and add a character dining once).

Is my thought correct?

stifle

Not quite. The voucher gives you a free Coke/water, which you haven't mentioned in your comparison. But there is only a small difference either way, for sure.

HildeKitten

Personally with such a small difference, I wouldn't bother and stick to the AP discount.

Komble

You may feel you have more variety and are less restricted if you stick with the non meal plan option but at the end of the day it's entirely up to you whether you think it will be worth it for your stay :)

arvidbux

Quote from: stifle on August 28, 2015, 04:22:34 AM
Not quite. The voucher gives you a free Coke/water, which you haven't mentioned in your comparison. But there is only a small difference either way, for sure.
How could I have missed that! :) I looked at the table 20 times and only after you pointed it out, it somehow showed up. You are right. One soda is for free. Which brings the difference in the positive towards going for the meal plan. Although still it will be just a few euros for a full meal when choosing a menu.

Quote from: HildeKitten on August 28, 2015, 10:33:04 AM
Personally with such a small difference, I wouldn't bother and stick to the AP discount.

True the difference is minimal. But I can imagine that for some people, who like to have a 3 course meal every night that they can save a few bucks and with a 3 or 4 day stay, it gives them a free meal or a few snacks.

Quote from: Komble on August 28, 2015, 01:24:54 PM
You may feel you have more variety and are less restricted if you stick with the non meal plan option but at the end of the day it's entirely up to you whether you think it will be worth it for your stay :)

You are right and especially the variety and the option to not have to eat a three course meal makes a case to not go for a meal plan. Although I like having starers and desserts, sometimes you just want a starter and that's it.

HildeKitten

How about planning out where you'd like to eat and what (the menus are on the DLRP guide site after all) and then calculate whether it would be a significant difference (free snacks etc) and thus worth it to get the meal plan or stick to the AP discount :)

arvidbux

Quote from: HildeKitten on August 28, 2015, 08:26:59 PM
How about planning out where you'd like to eat and what (the menus are on the DLRP guide site after all) and then calculate whether it would be a significant difference (free snacks etc) and thus worth it to get the meal plan or stick to the AP discount :)

Planning all meals is an option, but for just the two of us, we would like to be spontaneous instead of locking ourselves down to much. For a familiy of 3 or 4, it makes sense.

DisneyRon

Quote from: arvidbux on August 29, 2015, 02:27:47 PM
Quote from: HildeKitten on August 28, 2015, 08:26:59 PM

Planning all meals is an option, but for just the two of us, we would like to be spontaneous instead of locking ourselves down to much. For a familiy of 3 or 4, it makes sense.

And for most restaurants you'd probably be fine. If you want to eat at Auberge de Cendrillon though, I would lock that one in. It tends to book up fast. ;)