Just one day in Disneyland Resort Paris - what are the 'Must See's & Do's'?

Started by colejj, August 21, 2015, 12:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colejj

Hi There ;D

I'll be visiting DLRP next Wednesday, but just for that one day, I'll have my three children with me age 12, 9 & 7. I would Love to have spent longer there but due to work and finances it's just not possible.

We should arrive at around 10am and depart at 11pm, so we will have the whole day to enjoy, So my question is what are the things that you wouldn't want to miss? I've been before, but that was in 2010 so I'm guess there will be lots that we haven't seen before, plus my children should be able to enjoy almost everything Disney has to offer now that they are older.

I'm hoping to plan the day so that we waste as little time as possible, I'm thinking of a late lunch at Plaza Gardens to refuel and refresh before spending the afternoon watching the parade ect. I'm so out of touch and this was a last minute decision so I don't have much time to reserch.

I'd be grateful of any hints, tips and info that you guys can pass on  8)

Thanks in Advance. CJ

HildeKitten

colejj

Thank you very much HildeKitten, I'll will follow your advice with the guide and planning of the attractions, it's very helpful to know the times of events as if we miss them there won't be a chance to catch them the next day.

HildeKitten

You're welcome :)
And you'll be able to involve your kids in the planning, so it'll be fun for all of you I'm sure :)

samuelvictor

Great advice above :) However I can't help but add my own personal opinion, if only to "remenisce" about our last visits and dream of going again soon! Its probably going to be too long for everyone to read, but hopefully someone will find it useful, or will enjoy my "fantasy day trip report"!

I'm assuming that as your kids are older but not full on teenagers, you'll have similar priorities to my family in that you won't be too keen to do the more"full on" rollercoasters (RnR, Space Mountain, Indy etc), but also won't necessarily want to waste hours queuing for simple kids rides like Dumbos, Slinky Dog etc... (which are very cool to look at when walking past, but not worth wating 40 minutes queuing when your time is limited and your kids are older)

If you are starting your day at 10am, you of course won't get magic hours. To make the best of your one day, I'd recommend having a huge breakfast & lunch combined meal before you enter, and to carry a few snacks and drinks in a rucksack, so you don't have to "waste" hours for food. Eating in the parks is a wonderful experience, but if you only have one day, to me, it'd feel like a waste of an hour or more to queue up etc. Also, make sure that you thoroughly research the layout and all the attractions of the parks beforehand, so you won't end up getting lost, or doing stuff in a really innefficient order. The IOS/Andorid App is useful to have on your phone (as long as you don't get expensive roaming charges - there is not yet free wifi in the parks) but also the park map and show times guides you can pick up in the entrance are really, really useful. For planning beforehand and familiarising yourself with the layout, and everythign that is there, the map at http://www.disneylandparis.co.uk/maps/ is fantastic - its recetnly switched to a google maps overlay so everything is perfectly to scale and laid out properly so you can get a "birds eye" view of how to get everywhere.

If I was introducing a new friend or family member to Disneyland Paris, I'd probably first walk down mainstreet, towards the castle, but then take a detour through the Dragon's lair underneath it. The atmosphere and the visual impact of the castle are a perfect introduction, but going the route of the dragon shows the "little" surprises and touches that make DLRP special. We'd probably walk through fantasyland, pointing out all the cool stuff to look at, sticking to the west side, on route to Pirates of the Carribean. Pirates is such a cool experience and is suitable for pretty much everyone. Whilst I LOVE fantasyland, there is the tendancy of some kids first entering to see things like the Carousel, teacups, Dumbos etc to assume that DLRP is a "small scale" place full of mostly "kiddie" rides. Heading straight to Pirates will hint that there is more going on than at first meets the eye!

I'd then follow straight down through adventure isle, past skull rock and the pirate ship, and enter into Frontierland, by the entrance near Big Thunder Mountain, which is my next "must see". After Big Thunder, a trip to Phantom Manor (exiting through the graveyeard and pointing out all the little details) and then a relaxing trip on the Molly Brown to see the sights and change the pace. After the trip I'd head to the Chapparal theatre to watch the Frozen show (unless your kids are sick of the songs by now!). Of course, depending on times the boat ride, show and phantom can be switched round in order...

Then I'd head back up into adventureland temporarily and walk through the Agrabah area (maybe going through the Aladdin passage, just because its there and why not?) then through the circle area in front of the acstle, and into Discoveryland. There I'd go straight on Buzz Lightyear's Laserblast, and Star Tours (order depending on which has shorter queues). Both are utterly essential in our opinion, and with the age of your kids, I reckon both will be very appreciated.

Whether you have time to go into the Studios Park at all will entirely depend on what day it is and how busy the parks are. If you aren't there on a busy day, and have managed to "walk on" to lots of rides, you'll have a few hours before the afternoon parade. If you have "hopper" tickets, now is a good time to go back down main street and head into the Studios Park. Depending on the times the shows are running, Animagique and Cinemagique are essential, as is Ratatouille (if you only have time to do one, then go for the rat!). In between the shows and waiting for them to start, the Studio Tram Tour is brilliant, and I'd also head straight into the "end" section of Art of Animation and look through all the amazing historic Disney pieces in its mini interative museum. This is also the first shop I'd both spending a few minutes in, looking at all the art and figurines. If you have time, a whip around Toy Story Playland just to soak up the theming and atmosphere, and also Tower of Terror is fantastic if your kids are very brave and do not mind being dropped from a great height!

Make sure you get back to the Disneyland park for the last parade (probably at 5:30pm). I wouldn't bother queuing up and waiting as your time is limited, you will be able to find somewhere where you can see the floats - they are massive and the route is pretty long - you'll probably be in Fantasyland. This is a good time to explore here a bit more - for some reason it seems cooler and "more mature" for slightly older kids when in the dark. Directly after the parade, I'd head to It's a Small World, and the Teacups - by nopw, your kids will be more accepting of the family fare as theuy are slightly trired, and also soaked up in all the Disney magic. Out of the three dark rides, Peter Pan is the one your kids will probably enjoy the most. I'd also head to the castle and explore inside/upstairs - and check out the cool Christmas shop. Now would be a good time to head back into Discoveryland (easy access from fantastyland, just stick to the east) and queue for Autopia. You'll probably spend a while in this queue, so maybe buy some snacks on the way - either from the cart near by, or in the arcade building.

If you have any time left before Dreams, and the closing of the parks, see if anything else is "walk on" (often this time in the evening the queues on rides further out from the castle are short/non existant). I'd be inclined to try Star Tours, Pirates and Phantom Manor. Get a semi decent vatage point (anywhere with a clear view of the castle, and preferably somewhere that people can't push infront of you) around half an hour before Dreams starts, and enjoy the show - its's a fantastic end to the day...

Dreams will probably finish about 9:30, so this gives you an hour and a half to go into Disney Village and either eat an evening meal (Annettes, Billy Bob's, McDonalds and Earl of Sandwich are all affordable and the settings are cool) or have a proper look round some shops - World of Disney, the Big toy store, the Lego Store and the Gallery are fantastic.

That should see you up to your "departing" time of 11pm. Wow - what a busy day - but you got loads done!

Of course, many people will think that my planned day is "too busy", or that priority should be given to eating in a special restaurant, or queuing for character meets. If I only had one day and stuff was limited by time, I'd be inclined to leave character meets up to fate, and if one happens to be starting as I walk past, I'd jump right in. This has worked well for us in the past, but it is hit and miss. If a big part of the experience is meeting Mickey or the Princesses, then there is of course the "Meet Mickey" and "Princess Pavillion" areas where you'll be guaranteed to have a nice meet and greet in a great photo location - you WILL wait at least an hour for these though, so plan wisely!