What format to take money in?!!

Started by AmyT14, June 02, 2015, 12:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmyT14

Hi everyone (again).

I feel like I'm going to be asking lots more questions on here over the next week or so (we go 2 weeks today!).

This is just a quick one - has anyone ever used one of those pre-paid cards you get from the Post Office? trying to figure out the safest and cheapest way to take our spending money, we don't have a credit card and our debit card will charge us.

Any advice very welcome!

Thanks,

Amy

daddyof2

I've not used one myself but Martin Lewis, the money expert who's often on TV advocates them. If you google him, you'll find his website and should be able to find all the advice you need on them. I took cash (euros) last year and used the safety deposit box in our room

macca1476

If you have a bit of time on your side, i have been using the Fair FX pre paid euro card for every trip in the last five years.  The only downside I have found is that not all of the 24 hours petrol pumps like mastercard.

AmyT14

Thank you for your replies - we have thought about taking cash but we are planning on taking quite a lot and i'm not sure I'm comfortable travelling with so much! Thinking about doing half cash and half pre-paid card.

Why do I need time on my side macca?! Is the Fair FX one just like the Post Office one? Sorry, I could probably just google! The petrol pump thing isn't an issue, this will literally just be used in Disneyland and we are flying there.

stifle

If you're based in London or the surrounding area I would recommend popping into a Metro Bank and opening an account. They charge no foreign exchange commission, no fees, and no surcharges for use within Europe. Debit cards are printed on the spot when you open the account. It's better than even the most competitive foreign exchange bureaux and way better than pre-paid cards which have all kinds of junk fees.

justlikeidreamedit

Travelex card works for me. Usually get some cash for purchases throughout the day and pay for meals or the big souvenir shop on the card.

trip2themoon

i would also highly recommend the Fair FX Euro card.  It has very competitive exchange rates, you use just like any other debit/credit card.  You only get charged if you withdraw money, i think its €1.50.  so its better to withdraw €200 than €10.

AmyT14

Thank you for all the replies... I'm not in London or anywhere near unfortunately so the Metro bank isn't an option for me.

I will look in to the Far FX one, it seems their exchange rate is slightly better than the post office one, the fees are pretty much the same for both (withdrawing money) so they look like good options.

Thanks again,

Amy  :D

A&S&O

I know you said you don't use credit card, but for other readers of this thread we recommend looking for one that has no transaction fees and charges actual exchange rate.

We use the nationwide credit card, but there are others available.

We charge absolutely everything to credit card and very rarely use cash.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?