Trip report March 2015 Sequoia - Honest viewpoint of a first timer - B4 Parks

Started by Lucyloo, April 02, 2015, 05:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucyloo

Hi all.  As titled, I aim to give an honest report of our trip.  Had been looking forward to this trip for 6 months and had many questions answered on this forum before we went, so thanks to all for that.  Any questions for me, please ask and I'll try to help.

Group:  Mum, Dad & 3.5yr old boy

Travel:  Manchester (8.45am) to CDG by Airfrance, then VEA shuttle to Disney
Excellent journey, everything went smoothly and on time.  Quick through passport control & luggage and were able to get the 11.15am VEA to Disney.  This was a nice comfy bright bus as only took about 40 minutes to get to the hotel.  Was quite surprised by the amount of rubbish along their motorway system - a lot of fly tipping!  Easy to navigate the airport, even though it's huge you stay in just one small part of it.  Several armed army guys walking around but I actually like that.  My husband hates flying and was a nervous wreck all the way.  However you're only in the air for 55 minutes so by the time he'd had a coffee we were on the way back down.  I won't tell you what he was like on the way home after seeing the plane crash on the news!  I have to say though that the airfrance flight was smooth as anything, couldn't have been better.

Hotel: Sequoia Lodge, Golden Forest room.
First impression was good.  Large reception with a pine smell and calm wood & neutral colours.  Separate booking in area for Golden Forest but wasn't really necessary as the reception was almost empty anyway.  Luggage taken & stored for us so we could go straight out.  Informed the room wouldn't be ready until 3pm.  Went back at 3pm but told the system was down and they couldn't tell me if the room was ready or not so go back at 3.30pm.  Went back and system was still down.  Not impressed at this point.  We really wanted to get settled in before having to leave for an evening show.  Lovely guy went personally to check our room and came back to say it was ready.  We were stunned when we opened the door to find we'd been put in a suite!  Huge amounts of space and although this was great I did feel it was somewhat of a waste for the amount of time we'd be spending in there.  I can't imagine why anyone would need that much room for short trips?  Again the room was neutral, brownish colours which was lovely but it didn't feel Disney at all.  Only 1 picture at the entrance of Bambi and nothing else, so we could have been anywhere really.  Little fridge came in handy as did kettle.  Didn't use the Nespresso machine. Plenty of sockets around but none near enough to the bed to be able to use your phone / pad while charging.  TV channels hardly worth mentioning, a couple of English, mainly news on a loop.  Shame really as it would have been nice to watch something for an hour after son had gone to sleep.  Good strong shower and hot water but just a small wall instead of curtain or screen so the floor got soaking wet everytime we took a shower.  Towel are std size not sheets but fine & plentiful & replenished as required.  No issues at all with housekeeping.  Safe was plenty big enough for all docs, money & a SLR camera, programmable with your own code.  Never had to ring concierge or reception so can't comment on the servive.  We didn't use the hotel restaurants as they were quite expensive and we didn't feek we'd get our money's worth from them.  Our son eats tiny amounts.
Breakfast n the Golden Forest lounge was lovely.  Reading other reviews, this is definitely better than using the other rooms, but don't assume you can just walk in.  2 morning we got down there at about 9am and had to wait for a table, only a couple of minutes though so no big deal.  Food is lovely and plentiful.  The hot options are potato slices, veal sausages, bacon & scrambled eggs.  I didn't have the sausage because it was veal and baked beans would have been nice but that's just me being English!  Cereal, fruit, pastries, yoghurts, orange juice, apple juice, teas, coffees.  Something for everyone I'm sure.  Nice pleasant staff, very relaxing.

I'll come back with another report on the parks themselves

Lavi

Thank you for sharing.
Can't wait to read about your park experience.