Meal plans - how far in advance?

Started by bp_serene, February 05, 2015, 10:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bp_serene

I'm just about to book my first ever DLP holiday (excited!)

We are fairly certain we are going to buy a meal plan, however I am trying to spread the cost and wondered whether the meal plan can easily be added on over the phone at a later date after you have booked the hotel etc?

I was hoping to spread the cost by paying deposit this month, balance the following month, then add the meal plan and transfers etc the following month.

Just asking on here before I do the online booking as the helpline is closed ;)

stecal

hi i added the meal plan months after i had booked, i think you can add right up until you go but if it is less than 8 weeks before travel you have to pay the full amount but if it is more than 8 weeks you only pay a deposit

daddyof2

Note that if you book over the phone you can pay just a deposit for the holiday - on the website you have to pay it all (obviously you wont pay for the meal plan if you're adding that later)

polar vixen

Depending on how long you're going for and when you're going it may be worth holding off booking,  we usually go seven days so the 35%of plus free half board meal plan works out about a thousand pounds cheaper for us (2 adults, 5 kids)

stecal

good point about booking by phone and only having to pay a deposit

bp_serene

Thanks folks! I have booked now, wanted to get the 2 free nights deal as we're not going til June. Only had to pay flights and 15% deposit. I will phone to add the meal plan in a couple of months to spread the cost.

Looking forward to planning on here! Great forum :)

sewpollyesther

I've been working out the costs and with the exchange rate it looks like it might be cheaper to pay for meals separately... I'd like to get a meal plan because otherwise my husband will try and skimp on food and eat at McDonalds twice a day every day for 6 days :p... but it will have to work out money wise, I will book at the last minute if the exchange rate makes it worthwhile.

stifle

It is perhaps trite to say it, but the meal plans only make sense if you're mostly planning on eating in the restaurant intended by the meal plan – so buffets for standard, sit-down restaurants for plus, and AdC, Buffalo Bill, Inventions, and California Grill for premium. If you'll be eating a meal on your first and last day as well as the others, you can always get your McDonald's or other fast food fix then.